P&b Running Club

I was supposed to be running the Manchester marathon in a couple of weeks but obviously that got postponed as well. Clearly that was the correct decision but still feel a wee bit gutted considering i’ve spent the start of this year forcing myself to go out training in the pissing rain and gale force winds. I’ve got myself in decent shape (relatively speaking) and lost a bit of weight so it hasn’t all be in vain.

I’m definitely going to keep it up though and can’t wait for the milder weather to kick in. I genuinely can’t recall what it’s like to go out without having to endure 20+mph winds.

34 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

I’m definitely going to keep it up though and can’t wait for the milder weather to kick in. I genuinely can’t recall what it’s like to go out without having to endure 20+mph winds.

This is what I'm struggling with. I don't mind the rain, or the cold, but I hate running in the wind, I'd rather use a treadmill.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This is what I'm struggling with. I don't mind the rain, or the cold, but I hate running in the wind, I'd rather use a treadmill.

100% this. Wind is the worst. 

I didn't mind using the treadmill in my last employer's gym, there was a TV in viewing distance and I'd normally go in when the Simpsons were on. No such luck here so I ony use it for interval/hill training. 

Guest bernardblack

I don’t know what size your garden is but this image is very funny for me.

A tiny box....tedious to say the least and unlikely to be accurately tracked!!

My garden is fairly long but I still could not bring myself to do it. There's a lot of fairly secluded bits round my way that I can head to for my single period of exercise without fear of being fined/arrested/summarily executed.

Went out just before we properly locked down and stuck to the grass to go easy on my shins. A lot of work has been done there so it was very uneven. That's what I'm blaming for my worst ever 5k time anyway!

“Ran” a 5km yesterday for my exercise. 1st proper outdoor run in about 5 years and it was as tough as I expected.

Been hitting 26/27 mins in the gym treadmill but this was a laboured 31 mins. Breeze, inclines and dodgy potholed country lanes. Hopefully plenty of scope for improvement over the next few months.

Into the garage gym for some resistance work today.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm needing a new pair of running shoes, found some Nikes online but their website won't allow me to order them for some unknown reason. 

Where else is good for buying running shoes? 

And any recommendations? I know it's down to what suits you, I don't go too often, probably around 3-4 miles 2-4 times a week on roads around me. 

Run 4 it have a decent selection of higher end trainers.

If you won't get a chance to try them on beforehand, I'd try and get a pair you're familiar with or at least are confident will fit fine. Pair I've got just now felt fine in the shop but kill my feet during a run and I'm now desperate to get my old ones back!

Got my 3 miles down from 32 minutes a couple of weeks ago to 26.15. Hopeful of getting to 24 as feeling stronger each day and getting further without having to walk

Good effort mate! I’m not long in from doing 3 miles. 27 minutes something. Didn’t walk any of it but not really pushing myself too much, foot agony afterwards and shin sore but it’s done now.

Was reasonably fit a few years ago but now do absolutely zero exercise as on my feet all day at work. Have done Ben Nevis the last 2 years and walks with the kids but nowt else. My first run I made it about half a mile before having to stop but now upto about 2 so getting there

Good effort mate! I’m not long in from doing 3 miles. 27 minutes something. Didn’t walk any of it but not really pushing myself too much, foot agony afterwards and shin sore but it’s done now.

Was reasonably fit a few years ago but now do absolutely zero exercise as on my feet all day at work. Have done Ben Nevis the last 2 years and walks with the kids but nowt else. My first run I made it about half a mile before having to stop but now upto about 2 so getting there

I’m nowhere near as fit as I was either and it’s a tough slog to get it back. Decent effort with the improvement. Just about keeping at it and remembering the progress!

Used the lockdown to start running outdoors. Doing minimum 5k, five days a week at 7am ish as I’m working from home and not commuting. Accidentally done 11.5k by doing a longer run on the Sunday afternoon not realising how much longer the route was. Was enjoying it so kept going. Absolutely knackered. Using Strava has helped as it measures and times the runs giving me wee targets to beat each time. Managed to do 6k in 35mins which I was quite chuffed about. Might keep up the early runs when back to work.

My mission is to get myself back to sub 20 for a 5k. Not managed it in a couple of years. Got myself down to 21:30 in the lockdown so far. Hoping if I don't so it in the heat, I'll get close to 20.
Exactly my aim over the next few weeks. Got 21:58 last monday after doing a circuit in the morning. My birthday is the middle of may so if i can get sub 20 by then should be a decent goal.

Got the time to get some decent milage in but also got the oppertunity to booze and eat way too much.