P&b Running Club

Just been informed I have been successful in obtaining a place in the Great North Run in September, running for Kidney Research. I shall be looking for sponsorship soon :D

Good news Gaz. :D

If you are planning on staying over night (either the Saturday or the Sunday or both nights) then start looking for something now and if you find anything just book it!. Most, if not all, of the big hotels will be fully booked but if you go onto the North East England tourist site then you will get the numbers for plenty small B&B's.

Good luck for the race when it comes, you'll love it! :D

• 1 month later...

Have been injured since mid November and finally went for an op two weeks ago at Ross Hall. Sadly I was diagnosed with articular cartilage damage and had a microfracture procedure done. I'm on crutches now for 6 weeks and the surgeon has advised me to stop running (I haven't run since Jan anyway).

So after less than 4 years of running I am retiring! I managed a 10k PB of 35.15 in the Paisley 10k last year and a half marathon PB of 1.22 at Glasgow. I'm quite happy with them but disappointed that I didn't get the chance of getting a sub 3hr marathon. Never mind, I would never have imagined that I'd ever run a marathon when I started 4 years ago never mind having a 3.13 PB.

The one good thing is that I've pit on over a stone in weight and no longer look like a concentration camp victim. Aim to take up cycling now and try not to become quite as obsessed about it as I was with running........ although I'm already checking out what cycling races I might be able to enter next year!

Have been injured since mid November and finally went for an op two weeks ago at Ross Hall. Sadly I was diagnosed with articular cartilage damage and had a microfracture procedure done. I'm on crutches now for 6 weeks and the surgeon has advised me to stop running (I haven't run since Jan anyway).

So after less than 4 years of running I am retiring! I managed a 10k PB of 35.15 in the Paisley 10k last year and a half marathon PB of 1.22 at Glasgow. I'm quite happy with them but disappointed that I didn't get the chance of getting a sub 3hr marathon. Never mind, I would never have imagined that I'd ever run a marathon when I started 4 years ago never mind having a 3.13 PB.

The one good thing is that I've pit on over a stone in weight and no longer look like a concentration camp victim. Aim to take up cycling now and try not to become quite as obsessed about it as I was with running........ although I'm already checking out what cycling races I might be able to enter next year!

That's sad news, I enjoyed your bragging :P

That's sad news, I enjoyed your bragging :P

Sad news indeed. I was hoping to take my bragging to a new level this year as well! :lol:

Its hard to believe that some folk can run all their lives and do countless marathons and yet I'm knackered before I even turn 40 after only 4 years. The times I was beginning to get would have enabled to pick up a few prizes in the veteran category starting later on this year as well!

Never mind. Cycling is piss easy compared to running so hopefully I can start competing quite soon. :D

Anyone doing the Men's Health 10K on Sunday? Did it last year and quite enjoyed it, aiming to do it this year around the 45 minute mark.

I did it last year and finished 16th (out of 2,410 finishers!)

I'm sure I could have had a go at top 5 this year but alas my running days are now over. :(

Good luck, its a good course. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A few posts up, dex!

I went out for the first time in ages on Tuesday and I am so unfit it's unreal. Starting next Monday I am going to go at least 3 times a week like I did last year

A few posts up, dex!

I went out for the first time in ages on Tuesday and I am so unfit it's unreal. Starting next Monday I am going to go at least 3 times a week like I did last year

First time I ever went out jogging I just did a mile round the block. I had to stop and walk twice and when I got back home my wife thought I was having an asthma attack.

Within 2 years I was running a 3.17 marathon and a sub 40 min 10k.

Its amazing how quickly you can get your fitness up by running if you keep at it.

All the best with your running. :)

There's absolutely no way back for you Sensible?

As others have pointed out I use mapmyrun and did this route (under 7km) earlier this evening which was completed in 43 minutes and 24 seconds:

Aberdeen Beach Run

Not overly impressive and I didn't complete it all in a oner. Stopped a couple of times to give myself a wee break from it (i.e. to check out the top notch talent on the beach front) and also to deal with the fannies during the rush hour who ran red lights as I tried to get across the road. Getting into it now though and will be looking to hit about 3 runs a week.

Off to the gym now :D

There's absolutely no way back for you Sensible?

Never say never..... but I'm not really into jogging for fun, I'd need to try and get to where I was and I just don't think that would be a good idea. 2,600 miles per annum on this knee would not be sensible!

Looking forward to getting into cycling. Now that I know that I have a pretty good VO2 max my aim is to train for the next 2 years and then enter cycling races at a decent level and see what I can do.

I did it last year and finished 16th (out of 2,410 finishers!)

I'm sure I could have had a go at top 5 this year but alas my running days are now over. :(

Good luck, its a good course. :D

Cheers! This was my second year doing it and really just using it as part of training for September Half Marathon - did just over 45mins but could have probably taken a couple of minutes off it.

Gutted to hear of your injury, seemed like you were posting some amazing times and am starting to get as obsessed with it as you seemed to be! If only I could keep off the booze...

Cheers! This was my second year doing it and really just using it as part of training for September Half Marathon - did just over 45mins but could have probably taken a couple of minutes off it.

Gutted to hear of your injury, seemed like you were posting some amazing times and am starting to get as obsessed with it as you seemed to be! If only I could keep off the booze...

Good time. I ran my first 10k (Paisley) 4 years ago in 46.30. By last year I had it down to 35.15. That was in the space of just 3 years.

If you can post 45 mins without serious training then you've got the ability. All you need to do now to get to 35 mins is find the time to average 50 miles per week. :lol:

Seriously, my tip to getting good times is do some interval sessions, preferably with a running club.

I'll take my running shoes and dance on your running grave. :D In all seriousness, good luck with the cycling!

I'm absolutely shit at running, gained a stone and a half during the last year at Uni and can't run for toffee again. Did about 8k in 45 minutes today, though I wasn't running throughout.

Finally managed to shake off my injury, runners knee, ilio tibial band syndrome and now back on course to be running the lake garda marathon at the end of september, managed my first double figure mile run since the begining of march on friday past and no knee pain, yeehaa, also got the great north run to look forward to this year, here's hoping i can get my pb's down!!

Nike plus is back operational now so anyone fancies a challenge or 3 then just post em up here.

I am at a crossroads. I did the Isle of Skye half marathon 3 weeks ago and the MHFS 10k 2 weeks ago, with times of 1:39:45 & 42:33. Fairly happy with these as I'm only running once or twice a week between playing 5s and lifting weights (proper weights, squatting 3 times a week), and the half marathon in particular came far too early for me in terms of my training; I did it to join a mate who had entered. It was also pretty hilly and seasoned runners have told me I can take 4 or 5 minutes off my time for a true reflection of my half marathon capabilities.

Thing is I have set 2009 targets for both lifting and running. I want to do a sub 40 10k & a sub 90 half marathon. I had planned to be aiming to break 90 mins at the Glasgow half marathon in September, and sub 40 10k at the end of August but I think I will need to drop the lifting completely between now and then to do it. That will mean though that it will be a huge setback to my lifting goals for the year, which I reckon I will meet if I keep it up.

The risk is that by stopping lifting and sacrificing those goals to concentrate on running, I also fail to meet my running targets. Do the more experienced on this thread think it is possible to knock over 2.5 minutes off my 10k time and a whopping 10 minutes off my Half Marathon time in under 2 months?

Haven't been out for 2 weeks since hurting my right knee. It was so sore. It's better now so will go out this week again.

I was the same couldn't run for 2 minutes in January and now doing 5K without looking like I'm going to have a heart attack and turning a lovely shade of beetroot.