Thundermonkey

P&b Running Club

Try do a half in under 2? I'm sure you'd easily do that though, no idea what pacing is like above half.

I did the Stirling half in 1 hr 45 in warm up for marathon. Converting it into a sub 4 hour marathon was a much harder task!

I did the Stirling half in 1 hr 45 in warm up for marathon. Converting it into a sub 4 hour marathon was a much harder task!
I can only imagine.

I have become pretty obsessed with this marathon training plan ;

https://bridgerridgerun.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/how-to-run-a-3-hour-marathon-a-just-enough-training-approach/

It’s aimed at trying to break the 3 hour mark with a ‘just enough’ approach. However it can be adapted to suit whatever your target time is.
I have a 3:42 PB but intend to use this plan to break that at Loch Ness next October.
Planning to run an average 30 miles per week with a speed/hill/fartlek at least once a week in preparation and to work towards the recommended 5k time (current PB is 20:07 and reckon 19 minutes is achievable).

On 25/11/2019 at 15:30, Dons_1988 said:

Signed up to another marathon for next year, strangely buzzing for it given how much Edinburgh hurt.

Got best part of a year to train but want to shave a chunk of time off.

Did Edinburgh in 4h 16 minutes (target had been under 4 hours emoji17.png) so first goal is under 4 but would like to push beyond that.

Any tips on taking training to next level?

There's no magic bullet, assuming you want to stay clean.  Train more and harder.

Singapore marathon starts in 3 hours...

Can't believe I have managed to get a cold the day before it. Not too bad so hoping I can power through.

Never done a night race before so been a long day of waiting. Weather is for some showers and a nice running temp of 25C.

Singapore marathon starts in 3 hours...

Can't believe I have managed to get a cold the day before it. Not too bad so hoping I can power through.

Never done a night race before so been a long day of waiting. Weather is for some showers and a nice running temp of 25C.

25 degrees is nice?! Good grief.

I was very happy running at 0 degrees this morning

ETA all the best sir, a marathon in those conditions is tough.

That was torture! Not sure I ever need to do another one of those now it is ticked off the bucket list.

From about 32km on it was a real struggle. Cardio was alright as I went slowly but legs were not happy. Could hear the U2 concert and Bono singing Beautiful Day when I was at 26km was just taking the piss.

Very pleased I have completed one but my feet and legs are wrecked.

Also, the 25C was a forlorn hope...was 28C pretty much the whole way round.

Thinking about treating myself and upgrading my smart/running watch.
Currently got a tomtom spark 3 watch which does the job but is a bit basic.
Thinking about a garmin vivoactive 3, anyone got one or had one?
Any other recommendations, must have built in GPS and music function. Budget is no more than £200.

First run on the road in months, from the Golden Jubilee to my flat via Glasgow Green, 10 miles in just under an hour and a half. Had to walk for a couple of minutes at the Hydro as I felt my calves were about to explode.

Not great but reasonable starting point after a good while doing f**k all.

Attempting to run 5 miles after a few days of constant boozing should really be enough to convince me to kick drinking.
Lethargic as f**k.

Had some horrible cold/flu lurgy for more than a week. Weirdly, when I went running last Friday I felt great after it but when I went on Monday I was utterly fucked after a few miles.

Tried parkrun today in the hope it might help sweat some of it out but my body decided it was Prince Andrew instead. Very slow by my standards and felt dead by the end.

Finally got round to doing my first parkrun today at Strathy Park. After a couple months away from running and a month of utter gluttony was hoping to make it round sub 30 mins ( my 5k pb when at my previous peak was sub 25), came in right on the heels of the 29 min pacer and official time came out as 28'52", pretty happy with that. Had heard it was quite a busy parkrun but wasn't quite expecting how busy, over 400 runners all fighting for space on a 3 person wide path, avoiding the mud and puddles became an impossibility!

14 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Finally got round to doing my first parkrun today at Strathy Park. After a couple months away from running and a month of utter gluttony was hoping to make it round sub 30 mins ( my 5k pb when at my previous peak was sub 25), came in right on the heels of the 29 min pacer and official time came out as 28'52", pretty happy with that. Had heard it was quite a busy parkrun but wasn't quite expecting how busy, over 400 runners all fighting for space on a 3 person wide path, avoiding the mud and puddles became an impossibility!

I'm not sure if it's just because it was New Year, but all the parkruns round Scotland were pretty mobbed from the look of it. Even my local one Queen's Park - which normally attracts around 150-200, had nearly 300 people, this despite it being hillier than Tollcross. 

This was the first time I'd actually run Queen's Park and I really need to do something about my hill technique. Ended up walking five times over the course of the three laps. Obviously I'm a bit out-of-shape after my winter shutdown, but I thought I was going to vomit a lung on the last hill up to the flagpole. 

Training for the marathon is going well but post run I have this feeling in my ankle...

It isn’t sore but it is the equivalent of having to crack your knuckles, if that makes sense?

Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Training for the marathon is going well but post run I have this feeling in my ankle...

It isn’t sore but it is the equivalent of having to crack your knuckles, if that makes sense?

Any ideas?

I have no idea about your problem but glad to hear you're back on the marathon trail.

Is it Edinburgh again?

I have no idea about your problem but glad to hear you're back on the marathon trail.
Is it Edinburgh again?

I am indeed, it was needed!

You running it this year?

7 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I am indeed, it was needed!

You running it this year?

I have a marathon later in the year, but doing the Edinburgh half as part of my training and possibly a guide for whether or not I can beat last year's marathon time.