Thundermonkey

P&b Running Club

9 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

Just increase your initial 45 secs by 10% each time and you’ll be running a sub 2 hour marathon before you know it! Easy.

I’ve just signed up for Manchester marathon next April. This will be my second attempt at the distance. Got 3:49 to beat from my previous effort with plenty of time to get some good training in. I put myself in the 3:35 starting pen so hopefully we’ll get a mild winter to get the miles in, I stay injury free and I should just about hit my target.

Sounds like a plan! Disappointed you're not going to Manchester with the hope of running twice as fast.

Who was the other Saints fan at the Aberdeen (beach) parkrun on Saturday? Guy at the end was buzzing when he realised there was 2 of us!

Just did a 5km round Gili Air in Indonesia. Tough going running in the sand but starting to feel unprepared for my 1st marathon on 30th Nov. Work and holidays mean it has been a struggle to get out enough.1571129877953.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

Just did a 5km round Gili Air in Indonesia. Tough going running in the sand but starting to feel unprepared for my 1st marathon on 30th Nov. Work and holidays mean it has been a struggle to get out enough.1571129877953.jpeg

Just need to make sure you avoid getting run over by a donkey pulling a cart.

Just need to make sure you avoid getting run over by a donkey pulling a cart.

Ha! They're small horses...

Anyway, beer in hand now - proper training can wait until I'm home.

6 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

Ha! They're small horses...

Anyway, beer in hand now - proper training can wait until I'm home.

Getting off the boat there and seeing a queue of them lining up to take folk onto their digs was slightly surreal. Oddest taxi rank I have ever waited at. Enjoy the Bintang!

Anywhere decent for a 5k / 10k in Pitlochry? Going up there this weekend and will maybe have a bit of time to kill.

Did 28km yesterday - furthest I have ever run, don't feel too bad this morning but going to go for some physio on my knee later.

Reckon I will do one or two more big runs before 30th November, probably up to a maximum of 32km.

If I did the final 14km yesterday in 6:30/km that would give me a time of 4h 20m - would be very happy with that for my first one.

Ramped up my running now that the rib injury is behind me, getting in 3 or 4 runs a week.

Got a standard 7 mile loop near my house which when I first came back from injury I was 8:30/mile. Did it this morning with average pace of 7:45/mile. I was about 7:30 when I was at marathon level fitness so at least going in the right direction.

On 18/10/2019 at 23:12, Gaz said:

Anywhere decent for a 5k / 10k in Pitlochry? Going up there this weekend and will maybe have a bit of time to kill.

I had a good wee 5km run around the town on Saturday evening and then got up early and ran up Craigower on the Sunday morning for a good 10k loop. Weather was great.

First half in months today, finished in 1:48:19 which is pretty decent for me, particularly on a fairly hilly route (+790ft) which was a result of just making it up as I went along.

Finally feel like I am back to where I was before a shite summer of illness and injury.

Absolutely pishing down most of the way round, so a heavy case of jogger's nipple when I hit the shower. Ayah!!

Nice wee 5 and a half mile run on a cool near wind free Sunday morning, sets you up nicely for the day. Winter months coming up testing your running motivation levels.....😁

Took more than half a minute off last year's time on the 10 mile Brampton to Carlisle race today.

This year comfortably beat my PB for 5 miles, 10 miles and a half marathon and by default set a PB on my first marathon. Shame I didn't manage it on a 10k too (only 5ks I've done are parkruns) too - only done two 10ks this year and one was a trail race and the other had a f**k off hill in it.

By god winter is great for the running, the cool air and empty streets have got me right back into it also motivated myself by getting another 10k booked in for May.

What is the best way to improve time/pace after completing couch to 5k/10k without losing the ability to do it? Should you restart from Wk1 but run faster or keep doing the final run but try and run faster?

Edited by boulderdomb

What is the best way to improve time/pace after completing couch to 5k/10k without losing the ability to do it? Should you restart from Wk1 but run faster or keep doing the final run but try and run faster?
I'm no expert and only speak from experience but simply reps, effort and putting yourself in racing situations regularly for example parkruns. You don't get better without reps.

3 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Interval training, fartlek, hill sprints etc. are all good ways to increase speed.

Signed up to another marathon for next year, strangely buzzing for it given how much Edinburgh hurt.

Got best part of a year to train but want to shave a chunk of time off.

Did Edinburgh in 4h 16 minutes (target had been under 4 hours ) so first goal is under 4 but would like to push beyond that.

Any tips on taking training to next level?