P&b Running Club

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

All the best staggy.

If you’re worried about pacing I’d suggest starting at a comfortable pace and growing into it, you’ll probably sub consciously find yourself speeding up as you go.

thanks! I have an idea in my head that i'll find a somewhat competent runner and then stick to their pace throughout and if I have more to go in the last 2k then burst it 

Depends on the run obviosuly but the GSR had pace runners. I tried to stick with the 55 min one but she crossed the start line a good bit before me, I caught and overtook her then eventually she got by me again at the end but I had obviously made up a bit of time catching her at the start.

thanks! I have an idea in my head that i'll find a somewhat competent runner and then stick to their pace throughout and if I have more to go in the last 2k then burst it 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Depends on the run obviosuly but the GSR had pace runners. I tried to stick with the 55 min one but she crossed the start line a good bit before me, I caught and overtook her then eventually she got by me again at the end but I had obviously made up a bit of time catching her at the start.

I think there are pace runners at this actually, I'm just gonna go enjoy it, and worry about time after

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

I think there are pace runners at this actually, I'm just gonna go enjoy it, and worry about time after

How do you know who the pace runners are? been in plenty of races and I've never come across them.

Good luck hope you have a good  first race, kick ass.

On another note can well believe the 9 year old with the great 10k time having seen some of the kids running at the parkrun.

They wear big flags that say what time they will finish at. I was following a lassie with a flag saying 55 mins

How do you know who the pace runners are? been in plenty of races and I've never come across them.
Good luck hope you have a good  first race, kick ass.
On another note can well believe the 9 year old with the great 10k time having seen some of the kids running at the parkrun.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They wear big flags that say what time they will finish at. I was following a lassie with a flag saying 55 mins

Honestly never seen any at any race I've been in but they would be great help to keep you on track.

I dodnt expect them to be there. Heard of them at marathons before but didnt think a 10k would have them. GSR is obviously a big one though so maybe its unusual. Did fond it handy

Honestly never seen any at any race I've been in but they would be great help to keep you on track.

Strathclyde and Victoria Park also do pacing in Glasgow about once a month. Check our their FB page (for some reason, it doesn't show on the volunteer roster any more). 

I've tried pacing a couple of times and it's quite tricky. You obviously volunteer to do a couple of minutes past your normal time to make sure that you can do it comfortably. But I found it hard to go slightly below my normal pace. Last time I did it, I was literally a stone's throw away from the finish line with over a minute to go. I'd already slowed down to a slow walk (think Undertaker approaching the ring at Wrestlemania) and was still going too fast, so I ended up standing like a lemon at the finishing line for about a minute. I was about to pop over the line at exactly the 25 minute mark, but that would have meant jumping in front of a few runners sprinting for the finish, so I waited for them to cross the line and ended up going going over my allotted time by quite a few seconds. 

I've been told that the adrenaline of it being a race makes you faster overall tbf,
Hopefully I get around the 55 minute mark!

To this day, my fastest 10k time was when I ran a half marathon. Got totally carried away and paid for it later. Adrenaline definitely got me off to a much too quick start.
Good luck and enjoy.

Pretty sure I was slower than my best official 10k time during the one half marathon I've done. First few km I was over 5 minutes a kilometer as I couldn't get a clear space to run into. Every km from 4 onwards I was in the 4 minutes zone then about 3:43 for the last one as I was desperate for it to be over!