Thundermonkey

P&b Running Club

Was planning on doing the NL Cumbernauld 10k but lack of confidence in my running delayed me entering. Unfortunately I’m too late to enter now as it’s full but I’m road running 5miles in 53minutes. Not super fast I know but I’m enjoying it and I’m sure I’ll fit a 10k in in the near future and will break the 60 minute mark. The problem will be keeping it going in the winter as at the moment I’m doing 2 outdoor runs per week and 2 sessions in the gym. Anyway thanks for the tips a wee while ago, I always look at this thread for a wee bit of encouragement and it helps.

On 27/08/2019 at 21:58, Broomhill Ultra said:

It’s laps of the Loch so going to be very boring but an incredible opportunity for a Pb with the right training.

Or you could get a day of stinking weather and be running into a swirling wind the entire time.

Sorry to be daft but the great Scottish run will be my first organised run. I was assuming I would tip up, and go home in, my running gear. I assume dunping gesr on these buses folk are just taking a tracky top and bottoms to throw on to get home etc?

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Sorry to be daft but the great Scottish run will be my first organised run. I was assuming I would tip up, and go home in, my running gear. I assume dunping gesr on these buses folk are just taking a tracky top and bottoms to throw on to get home etc?

You can put anything you like on the bus (although they might raise an eye-brow if you rocked up with a cello or something). Depending on the weather, I'd take clothes to wear on the way home. I've also stuck my bank card and keys in there, but that's obviously a bit risk. Each bus has a range of numbers on its side (e.g. 5,000 to 6,000) and you can only put your stuff on the bus corresponding to your race number (which must be pinned to the front of your shirt). This means that in theory, nobody can get on the bus to steal your stuff (unless they're also in the 5,000 to 6,000 range) but I'm sure a determined ne'er-do-well will find a way round that. 

Had a really slow 5k this morning compared to normal, putting it down to lack of warm up and mind focused elsewhere.

Done Great North Run last weekend. Not the most exciting course but what an experience running it. Got a PB too which made it all the better

I just can't be fucked at the minute. I want to go out and look forward to it but then I get out there and my running is shite only managing a couple miles and then feeling knackered and not able to push through it.

Any way to get out this funk? 

I just can't be fucked at the minute. I want to go out and look forward to it but then I get out there and my running is shite only managing a couple miles and then feeling knackered and not able to push through it.
Run more accountable races

14 hours ago, pub car king said:

Make sure you're doing some really easy stuff sometimes...  Go out without your watch or make a concerted effort not to pay attention to pace and just run to feel keeping it nice and comfortable.

Join a club.  Running with others can really help you to push yourself and gives you something to look forward to and a reason to get out the door.

Away to work just now so the treadmill it is for me. 9 miles this morning before my shift in 1hr 7. Been gradually increasing my distance and pace, after a painful dose of shin splints. First time I’ve ever had them, but was my own fault. Hadn’t run in months and blitzed 10 miles on the treadmill at a fast pace, was in agony for days after.

Looking to enter a marathon abroad next year and Copenhagen stood out. Anyone got any other suggestions?

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Away to work just now so the treadmill it is for me. 9 miles this morning before my shift in 1hr 7. Been gradually increasing my distance and pace, after a painful dose of shin splints. First time I’ve ever had them, but was my own fault. Hadn’t run in months and blitzed 10 miles on the treadmill at a fast pace, was in agony for days after.

Looking to enter a marathon abroad next year and Copenhagen stood out. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I am doing Berlin in 2 weeks, will update how it is. Seems to be ok chance of getting in, 1 in 3 this year I think, and it’s one of the major marathons. 

First run/exercise in 5 weeks today after cracking my rib.

Managed 5 miles in 43 minutes with minimal pain although feeling the rib a bit now. Not at the level I was but pleasantly surprised that fitness hadn’t completely gone.

Just absolutely delighted to be back exercising.

Finally got my Great Scottish Run half marathon entry sorted out, although need to pick up my number etc on the day. That should ensure it'll be pouring.

On 14/09/2019 at 14:25, MONKMAN said:

I've only ever done one so not really qualified to comment on others, but I did the Reykjavik marathon and it was lovely (probably helped that the weather was nice). No problem getting an entry, a nice route starting and ending in the centre and catching most of the main sites, not much in the way of hills. And it's in August which is a lovely time of year to visit Iceland (if you're not fussed about the Northern Lights). 

20 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've only ever done one so not really qualified to comment on others, but I did the Reykjavik marathon and it was lovely (probably helped that the weather was nice). No problem getting an entry, a nice route starting and ending in the centre and catching most of the main sites, not much in the way of hills. And it's in August which is a lovely time of year to visit Iceland (if you're not fussed about the Northern Lights). 

I'm going to Iceland for a week late November, so probably look to go elsewhere.  From what I've read, Copenhagen sounds pretty similar in that it starts and finishes in the city centre, course is basically flat and you see all the sights.

On 15/09/2019 at 18:26, Dons_1988 said:

First run/exercise in 5 weeks today after cracking my rib.

Managed 5 miles in 43 minutes with minimal pain although feeling the rib a bit now. Not at the level I was but pleasantly surprised that fitness hadn’t completely gone.

Just absolutely delighted to be back exercising.

Did another 5 miles on Monday and 7 on Tuesday, shaving 30 seconds off my mile splits as well.

My rib aches for a couple of hours afterwards but not making it worse so f**k it I'm pushing on. 

Did my longest ever run this morning - 24km.

Started at 5am when the temperature was only 26C...finished at 7:30am and it was already 32C.

The last 5 km was tough and I am starting to get the fear about my first marathon on 30th November. Not sure I could have gone another 18km after that today - knees starting to hurt, sore toes, etc.

Did my longest ever run this morning - 24km.
Started at 5am when the temperature was only 26C...finished at 7:30am and it was already 32C.
The last 5 km was tough and I am starting to get the fear about my first marathon on 30th November. Not sure I could have gone another 18km after that today - knees starting to hurt, sore toes, etc.

That’s a great distance well done.

Don’t get too nervous, try pushing it up a mile a week (or km equivalent) and get plenty of runs in between and plenty recovery work and you’ll be fine. Whatever happens the last part of a marathon is just about forcing yourself through it.

Also respect for doing it in that heat, that would’ve broken me in my marathon.

After 3 and a half years of injuries, surgery, failed recoveries and general disappointment, I finally seem to be at the point where I'm strong enough to get back to it, albeit  in a far more limited way than I was doing back in 2015. I'm going to have a go at parkrun this week for the first time since January 2016 and even though my time will be miles slower than what I was running back then, I'm genuinely happy to have the chance to get out at all. At the start of this year I was starting to resign myself to never being able to run again, with a mixture of dark thoughts and trying to persuade myself that 'ach, cycling isn't too bad'.

I love the competitive element of running and it would be naive to think I'm not going to care about running decent times if I can keep at it and stay pain-free for a while, but for now I'm not that fussed. It's just so nice to rediscover that great feeling of running outside again, particularly running in the rain which I've always loved. People who don't run themselves just don't seem to understand how big a thing it is, but it's important to me  and I'm really looking forward to competing (to some degree) after such a long time away from it.