P&b Running Club

I wasn't able to do the GSR this morning due to a poorly girl. Was fairly confident about breaking 1:40 as well and maybe even going close to 1:35.

Ah well. Will have another crack at it in May in Edinburgh.

Where’s decent to go running in the Falkirk area? Staying there a few days next week for a course with work, so could do with somewhere good, parks etc
Helix is close to where you are and from there you can get onto the canal etc. Calendar Park has a parkrun there so you could try to figure out the route but either way its a nice place to go running too.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/30/boy-wins-10k-race-accidental-kade-lovell-minnesota
A weird story about a nine year old kid winning a 10k in 48 minutes. The second place runner came in at 50 minutes which is weird in itself but can a nine year old really run 4:48m/km pace for 10km?
The fact that he didn't start with the rest of the runners maybe suggests he didn't run the full 10k?

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/30/boy-wins-10k-race-accidental-kade-lovell-minnesota

A weird story about a nine year old kid winning a 10k in 48 minutes. The second place runner came in at 50 minutes which is weird in itself but can a nine year old really run 4:48m/km pace for 10km?

The world record for a 9 year old doing 10k is 38 min 43s.  Granted that's on the track, but I have no problem believing the kid did the full 10k race.

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
10 hours ago, Detournement said:

The fact that he didn't start with the rest of the runners maybe suggests he didn't run the full 10k?

Cheating little p***k

Got my first official 10k race on Sunday, I've managed a 10k in an hour before without really pushing myself to the limits.
Quite worried about my pacing, anyone got any tips?

Just did my first so I can tell you that you will go faster than you have in training. I didnt have a watch or anything but the guy I was with did and he called out a few markers. I knew I had gone quick over the first 5k but just kept going as best I could. Did struggle towards the end tbf but dont tgink I could have did much better.

I think you see people and think "right il go past him" then you see the next guy. The hardest tying for me was slowing down a tad when I needed too. I kept wanting to pull away again.

Knowing your pace would be handy I suppose but it could hold you back from making the big matxh atmosphere count for you.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just did my first so I can tell you that you will go faster than you have in training. I didnt have a watch or anything but the guy I was with did and he called out a few markers. I knew I had gone quick over the first 5k but just kept going as best I could. Did struggle towards the end tbf but dont tgink I could have did much better.

I think you see people and think "right il go past him" then you see the next guy. The hardest tying for me was slowing down a tad when I needed too. I kept wanting to pull away again.

Knowing your pace would be handy I suppose but it could hold you back from making the big matxh atmosphere count for you.

I've been told that the adrenaline of it being a race makes you faster overall tbf,

Hopefully I get around the 55 minute mark!

Just now, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:
I've been told that the adrenaline of it being a race makes you faster overall tbf,
Hopefully I get around the 55 minute mark!

Certainly found that myself as I wasnt harbouring any real notions of beating 55 minutes.

did you manage to a sprint finish at the end?

Haha did I f**k! I nearly ground to a halt at 200m to go!! That was a very good overall time for me IMO but the time was made in the first 5km then surviving the last couple as best I could. There was no way I was sprintinfmg anywhere!

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Haha did I f**k! I nearly ground to a halt at 200m to go!! That was a very good overall time for me IMO but the time was made in the first 5km then surviving the last couple as best I could. There was no way I was sprintinfmg anywhere!

What time did you get? 

That's quality.
I am going to be blowing out my hole, just back from a week all inclusive so I've gained about half a stone.
Dont worry, I ran only once in the 4 weeks prior to the race. My training fell off a cliff as I was busy as f**k. The race setting really does count for a lot