P&b Running Club

Oh, and anyone else bar me and TM doing the Grangemouth Round The Houses 10K at the end of the month?

How did you get on Gaz? I saw your avatar change and it reminded me.

Reminded me that I'd missed it :lol:

Oh well, the entry fee saved can go towards a semi final ticket.

Ran the Inverness Half Marathon 3 weeks ago, 1 hour 38 mins, pleased wnough with that but i've not been able to run since cos of a sore knee, now been diagnosed ad Illio Tibial Band Syndrome or runners knee, fookin depressing!! :( Missing the Perth Heaven n Hell Half this Sunday......and missing going out in the light evenings in the suunnnshiiiiine.

My God it was warm last night. Sweating excessively, legs/hips a bit sore at the end, but I did it. :)

Well done! :D

Too warm last night so I left my run until midnight and covered 12.8km.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm doing the Dunfermline Half Marathon for charity on 10th May and I started training in late Feb. I hadn't been jogging/running for about six months before that. I got into the regular habit of jogging 30-45mins at least three times a week and one lap of Dunfermline HM (or equivalent) once a week but the past two weeks have become a disaster.

I did 20 miles of hillwalking (with a bit of hill-running) two weeks ago but ended up with badly blistered heels which stopped further training for a week and since then I've been suffering from a bad cold which has really knocked the stuffing out of me - even jogging from the train station in Kirkcaldy to Stark's Park on Sat was a struggle.

I was really hoping to do the event <2hrs, so has anybody got any advice in what I should do in my last two weeks? I can maintain a fast walk of around 4mph over an almost unlimited distance, so I know I could "walk" the event in a little over 3hrs but that just seems like giving up.

You should be scaling down the amount of running you do in the last two weeks of a training program anyway. If you've been quite ill recently i'd just be making sure that I was 100% healthy for race day. Don't go out and try any seriously long runs at this stage. If you feel up to it then maybe 4 or 5 miles at race pace. 8:30 per mile will get you round in under 2 hours and it'll give you an idea of whether or not you'll be able to sustain that pace for 13.1 miles.

I've just entered the ballot for London next year. 3rd time entering so here's hoping!!

I couldn't believe the pace of the runners at the marathon on Sunday. My god that's a sprint for me!!!

Last week at Jog Scotland, we did exercises on the track instead of pounding the streets. We did relay races and shuttle runs instead of our normal 5k run/jog.

My legs and knees were absolutely killing me on Friday and Saturday :(

My last race was the Grangemouth Round the Houses back in March but I've been having bother with my hip and the outside of my right knee recently. It has got to the stage where it is really sore after most training sessions. My coach seems to think it may be my IT band. Anyone else had a similar injury?

I've also entered the ballot for next year's London Marathon.

Anyone else doing Edinburgh on Sunday?

Not doing Edinburgh this year. I ran it last year but with the missus having a new baby in September lat year it's curtailed the amount of time I can go running. It's a nice flat course for anyone hoping for a fast time, just hope there's no wind!

Edit: I've just realised that your talking about the Great Edinburgh Run and not the Edinburgh Marathon. I have no idea whether or not the 10k course is flat.

Edited by The Poker King

My last race was the Grangemouth Round the Houses back in March but I've been having bother with my hip and the outside of my right knee recently. It has got to the stage where it is really sore after most training sessions. My coach seems to think it may be my IT band. Anyone else had a similar injury?

Not had it but it sounds like it could be ITBS

Runners World Article

• 2 weeks later...
You should be scaling down the amount of running you do in the last two weeks of a training program anyway. If you've been quite ill recently i'd just be making sure that I was 100% healthy for race day. Don't go out and try any seriously long runs at this stage. If you feel up to it then maybe 4 or 5 miles at race pace. 8:30 per mile will get you round in under 2 hours and it'll give you an idea of whether or not you'll be able to sustain that pace for 13.1 miles.

Cheers for the advice. I did some light interval training on Thursday night with my mate's running club.

Did the half marathon in 2hrs 26mins which I'm still chuffed with considering it was my first HM.

Just been informed I have been successful in obtaining a place in the Great North Run in September, running for Kidney Research. I shall be looking for sponsorship soon :D

OK, so I have been running for the past few weeks and have slowly built up to 5.2 miles (best time approx. 44 mins) and eating abit healthier as well. I am really enjoying it at the moment and have already been out when its been pissing down. So I suppose I have no excuses now! Although the wife does work shifts, so I cant just nip out as I have 2 kids.

Anyhow, I bought a pair of Nike Air Span+ 6 running shoes on Friday and I have to say, what a difference when you have a decent pair of trainers! I was using a £5 pair from tescos before!

Mapmyrun is an excellent site for mapping out a run beforehand, but I am sure there is other sites that do the same.

Im not really sure how far I want to take this, but like I said, Im enjoying it atm so long may it continue.

On the point of Nike+, when I was buying my trainers on Friday, the woman in the shop said that the Nike+ sportsband (only if you dont have an ipod nano) is to be re-released at the end of this month hopefully. The first version apparently wasnt that accurate. Something I will probably get in the future.