Thundermonkey

P&b Running Club

I think it's all just psychological. The waiting game is worse than the training.  Come the day I'm sure the body will be fine.
Not so fussed about the weather, I'm just glad it's not a heatwave.
All the best when it comes around, mate.

Same to you mate. The thought of there being a Stewart Brewing tent at the end will get me through the finish!!

1 minute ago, bernardblack said:

Same to you mate. The thought of there being a Stewart Brewing tent at the end will get me through the finish!!

Oh yes. I haven't touched a beer in 4 weeks so I am very much looking forward to that.

Oh yes. I haven't touched a beer in 4 weeks so I am very much looking forward to that.

First time I ran Edinburgh I didn’t touch a beer for the full sixteen weeks I trained. The first pint after it was extra glorious because on the day temperatures peaked at 27 degrees. Hope it all goes well for everyone taking part.

Daft question here....

If I was planning to start the race in a waterproof jacket and potentially ditch it during the run...could I just have my number on my t shirt underneath the jacket? Or does it have to be on show?

Agonisingly close to a half marathon PB at Kirkcudbright today. Thought I'd done it but turns out I was five seconds slower than my PB rather than five faster.

And, of course, I was fourth from the club meaning I'm not part of the winning team as it's the top three. That's the third or fourth time that's happened to me!

Edited by Stu

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Agonisingly close to a half marathon PB at Kirkcudbright today. Thought I'd done it but turns out I was five seconds slower than my PB rather than five faster.

And, of course, I was fourth from the club meaning I'm not part of the winning team as it's the top three. That's the third or fourth time that's happened to me!

Amazing what a few seconds does to your mindset, the difference between "fantastic" and f..ck sake" What was your time?

2 hours ago, keptie said:

Amazing what a few seconds does to your mindset, the difference between "fantastic" and f..ck sake" What was your time?

Either 1.31.30 or 1.31.28 going by gun or chip time. My PB is 1.31.25 - I thought it was 1.31.35.

Either 1.31.30 or 1.31.28 going by gun or chip time. My PB is 1.31.25 - I thought it was 1.31.35.
Always go with the chip time..PB or not still a very impressive time.

2 hours ago, keptie said:
3 hours ago, Stu said:

Always go with the chip time..PB or not still a very impressive time.

Aye, it's the second quickest of the six or seven halfs I've done and far quicker than any attempt aside from my PB. Just frustrating to get that close!

Also shows there's still a bit to go to get under 90 minutes for a half - recent efforts show it's the same with trying to get under 40 minutes for a 10k and 20 minutes for a parkrun.

Edited by Stu

Did Edinburgh Half In 1:35:24 which I more than happy enough with that. 

Thought i ran a great first 8 miles and then I’d say i managed to just about survive that horrible grind from 9-12.

I did it in 1:40:42.

When signing up I said I would be happy with under 1:45. The last couple of weeks I've felt under 1:40 is achievable so pretty gutted that I didn't make it.

I blame the start, though - I ran the first 2km so far over target pace it's unbelievable. Couldn't believe how narrow the course was, so I'm boxed in around other folk who clearly had no idea what their finish time was going to be and just selected a random number. There was a bank of four women walking about 600m into the race FFS.

Still, gives me something to aim for as I'll probably do Glasgow as well to try again and beat 1:40.

Edinburgh marathon completed today. Legs were in agony around 17/18 miles in so completely slowed down. But finished and it’s a medal in the bag!

Edinburgh marathon completed today. Legs were in agony around 17/18 miles in so completely slowed down. But finished and it’s a medal in the bag!

My god that was painful. So glad I’ve done it considering where I was 8 months ago as a non functioning member of the human race.

Didn’t quite make my target but absolutely delighted to have done it. Hope you enjoyed it too mate.

I’m away to get drunk.

My god that was painful. So glad I’ve done it considering where I was 8 months ago as a non functioning member of the human race.

Didn’t quite make my target but absolutely delighted to have done it. Hope you enjoyed it too mate.

I’m away to get drunk.

Congrats mate!

Tell you something, that three mile stretch at the end where you double back on yourself is an absolute killer.

It really isn't a brilliant route, but I understand folk like it because it's fast.

Edited by Gaz

My daughters talked me into doing a 10k in September. Never done any kinda distance run. I’m a 13st 52 year old who toddles about a gym twice a week. Is an hour a realistic target or am a better off just concentrating on finishing.

Tell you something, that three mile stretch at the end where you double back on yourself is an absolute killer.
It really isn't a brilliant route, but I understand folk like it because it's fast.
Did you get a pint at the stewart brewing tent afterwards?? Well done to all on here who did it today. The traffic afterwards is the only negative point, i'm glad I went out early today!

I really struggle with that. Nothing worse than struggling a bit and seeing people on the way back home!

1 hour ago, 2lgm said:

My daughters talked me into doing a 10k in September. Never done any kinda distance run. I’m a 13st 52 year old who toddles about a gym twice a week. Is an hour a realistic target or am a better off just concentrating on finishing.

An hour is definitely a realistic target, especially when you have a few months training ahead of you.

Couch to 5k it for structured running that will get you to half hour/5k ish distance.

From there just stretch the distance.