P&b Running Club

I'm mixed in marathons, on the one hand I don't see the point of it what situation would you ever need to run 26.2 miles. On the other hand I would like to do one it must be some feeling of achievement. 

I'm up to 7 miles on a long run at the minute and want to push onto 10 but I'm not sure my knees will take it, if I do get to 10 then I'll push to 13.1 but it's a big if.

How does treadmill running compare in terms of muscle pain and general hardness for others? I am confined to treadmill the now, and I am struggling like f**k on it. I am using it to try and increase my pace so maybe going a bit harder than normal nut just find it hard not to stop

When you’re finished it you’ll be euphoric. Don’t know if you’ve done them before but crossing the line is a great feeling.

I’ve never done it before, no.

Cheers though. I’m sure it’ll be fine but now the training is done just had all week to think about it really!

Guest bernardblack

I’ve never done it before, no.

Cheers though. I’m sure it’ll be fine but now the training is done just had all week to think about it really!

Exact same. Training went really well but the taper has me worried.

Also the weather looks atrocious so unsure what to wear now

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

How does treadmill running compare in terms of muscle pain and general hardness for others? I am confined to treadmill the now, and I am struggling like f**k on it. I am using it to try and increase my pace so maybe going a bit harder than normal nut just find it hard not to stop

Depends on how good the treadmill is, to be honest.

I find boredom the hardest thing to overcome while on my treadmill.

Which is gubbed just now, unfortunately - motor won't work.

My last training run is later on today (a short two miles) and that'll take me to 316 training miles in total since the 2nd February.

I initially signed up hoping to do about 1:45 for the Edinburgh Half, but depending on the day I have a chance of breaking 1:40.

Then it's back on the weights in time for summer. My BF% has dropped by about 6% since I started training and I'm down about three stones from this time last year.

29 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Exact same. Training went really well but the taper has me worried.

Also the weather looks atrocious so unsure what to wear now

I think it's all just psychological. The waiting game is worse than the training.  Come the day I'm sure the body will be fine.

Not so fussed about the weather, I'm just glad it's not a heatwave.

All the best when it comes around, mate.

Guest bernardblack
I think it's all just psychological. The waiting game is worse than the training.  Come the day I'm sure the body will be fine.
Not so fussed about the weather, I'm just glad it's not a heatwave.
All the best when it comes around, mate.

Same to you mate. The thought of there being a Stewart Brewing tent at the end will get me through the finish!!

1 minute ago, bernardblack said:

Same to you mate. The thought of there being a Stewart Brewing tent at the end will get me through the finish!!

Oh yes. I haven't touched a beer in 4 weeks so I am very much looking forward to that.

Oh yes. I haven't touched a beer in 4 weeks so I am very much looking forward to that.

First time I ran Edinburgh I didn’t touch a beer for the full sixteen weeks I trained. The first pint after it was extra glorious because on the day temperatures peaked at 27 degrees. Hope it all goes well for everyone taking part.

Guest bernardblack

Daft question here....

If I was planning to start the race in a waterproof jacket and potentially ditch it during the run...could I just have my number on my t shirt underneath the jacket? Or does it have to be on show?

Agonisingly close to a half marathon PB at Kirkcudbright today. Thought I'd done it but turns out I was five seconds slower than my PB rather than five faster.

And, of course, I was fourth from the club meaning I'm not part of the winning team as it's the top three. That's the third or fourth time that's happened to me!

Edited by Stu

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Agonisingly close to a half marathon PB at Kirkcudbright today. Thought I'd done it but turns out I was five seconds slower than my PB rather than five faster.

And, of course, I was fourth from the club meaning I'm not part of the winning team as it's the top three. That's the third or fourth time that's happened to me!

Amazing what a few seconds does to your mindset, the difference between "fantastic" and f..ck sake" What was your time?

2 hours ago, keptie said:

Amazing what a few seconds does to your mindset, the difference between "fantastic" and f..ck sake" What was your time?

Either 1.31.30 or 1.31.28 going by gun or chip time. My PB is 1.31.25 - I thought it was 1.31.35.

2 hours ago, keptie said:
3 hours ago, Stu said:
Either 1.31.30 or 1.31.28 going by gun or chip time. My PB is 1.31.25 - I thought it was 1.31.35.

Always go with the chip time..PB or not still a very impressive time.

Aye, it's the second quickest of the six or seven halfs I've done and far quicker than any attempt aside from my PB. Just frustrating to get that close!

Also shows there's still a bit to go to get under 90 minutes for a half - recent efforts show it's the same with trying to get under 40 minutes for a 10k and 20 minutes for a parkrun.

Edited by Stu

Did Edinburgh Half In 1:35:24 which I more than happy enough with that. 

Thought i ran a great first 8 miles and then I’d say i managed to just about survive that horrible grind from 9-12.

I did it in 1:40:42.

When signing up I said I would be happy with under 1:45. The last couple of weeks I've felt under 1:40 is achievable so pretty gutted that I didn't make it.

I blame the start, though - I ran the first 2km so far over target pace it's unbelievable. Couldn't believe how narrow the course was, so I'm boxed in around other folk who clearly had no idea what their finish time was going to be and just selected a random number. There was a bank of four women walking about 600m into the race FFS.

Still, gives me something to aim for as I'll probably do Glasgow as well to try again and beat 1:40.

Guest bernardblack

Edinburgh marathon completed today. Legs were in agony around 17/18 miles in so completely slowed down. But finished and it’s a medal in the bag!

Edinburgh marathon completed today. Legs were in agony around 17/18 miles in so completely slowed down. But finished and it’s a medal in the bag!

My god that was painful. So glad I’ve done it considering where I was 8 months ago as a non functioning member of the human race.

Didn’t quite make my target but absolutely delighted to have done it. Hope you enjoyed it too mate.

I’m away to get drunk.