P&b Running Club

Luckily my gf is probably more into running so getting her to sign up for these things is no problem, although she doesn't really like visiting the cold countries. Only problem with the Norway, Iceland and FInland marathons is it's quite expensive when you're out there. And they're not very hot either, which suits me down to the cold cold ground. 

Nice aye they are expensive but rather cold than to hot lol ..

Whats your next marathon goin to be

Just now, theminsk said:

Nice aye they are expensive but rather cold than to hot lol ..

Whats your next marathon goin to be

None actually planned. Got the HM in Glasgow next month, then a 10k in Stranraer in November (hopefully, the website booking system won't work and they've dinghied my email). 

Other than that, going to try getting back into parkruns regularly, as it keeps me off the sauce on Friday night (a bit). Did Tollcross on Saturday and was only 4 seconds outside my PB for that course, which I was quite pleased with. Do you ever do parkruns? There's quite a lot out there now, from the easy-going (Linwood and Vicky Park) to the much harder (Springburn and Tollcross) to the suicidal (Drumchapel). 

None actually planned. Got the HM in Glasgow next month, then a 10k in Stranraer in November (hopefully, the website booking system won't work and they've dinghied my email). 

Other than that, going to try getting back into parkruns regularly, as it keeps me off the sauce on Friday night (a bit). Did Tollcross on Saturday and was only 4 seconds outside my PB for that course, which I was quite pleased with. Do you ever do parkruns? There's quite a lot out there now, from the easy-going (Linwood and Vicky Park) to the much harder (Springburn and Tollcross) to the suicidal (Drumchapel). 

A never new about them till a started commenting on this thread ..

Are they on quite a lot is there a link to them

They're on every Saturday at 9.30am. Although watch out if you're in England as they seem to start at 9am down there. 

As you can see from the map, there's plenty to choose from. You can just turn up if you want, but it's best to register and print off a barcode before you head along, that way you get a time at the end and a free t-shirt (after 50 runs!). The same barcode works for every parkrun. 

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

23 minutes ago, tigerton said:

I am planning to give Drumchapel a go this Saturday! I've been told that it is a killer and I should allow for 2 mins on my time. The first finisher was over 20mins last week...

Bring crampons!

I did Strathy the week before about in about 22:40 and Drumchapel the week after in around 27:40. The problem is that a couple of the downward bits are so steep, twisty and gravelly, you don't really make any time back or get to recover. 

Tis certainly a challenge!

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Bring crampons!

I did Strathy the week before about in about 22:40 and Drumchapel the week after in around 27:40. The problem is that a couple of the downward bits are so steep, twisty and gravelly, you don't really make any time back or get to recover. 

Tis certainly a challenge!

I think I am approaching PB fitness, and PB at Greenock is 19.05. I think I can break 21. That's the target anyway. I say that, I haven't actually seen the course...

Worst I ever done was Tollcross on a frozen morning and they went onto the alt route. XC route on grass up and down hill. I was 26 mins and beyond gubbed.

Anyone else doing the half marathon in Glasgow the start of October? 

My girlfriend, bless her, booked me in for it, but must think that she's going out with Mo Farah, as whatever estimated finish time she put down for me, I seem to have been assigned one of the white "fast runner" numbers. So if you see a guy wearing a fast number puffing and panting his way round the course, that'll probably be me. 

It might not be as bad as you think - if memory serves me right from last year (and it's the same for the 10k), there are only three different pens behind the elites so there are quite a range of times in each one.

They're on every Saturday at 9.30am. Although watch out if you're in England as they seem to start at 9am down there. 

As you can see from the map, there's plenty to choose from. You can just turn up if you want, but it's best to register and print off a barcode before you head along, that way you get a time at the end and a free t-shirt (after 50 runs!). The same barcode works for every parkrun. 

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

Cheers will check out just now see what a can do

17 hours ago, theminsk said:

Thats me registered now i am working this sat so nxt saturday the tollcross park for me is the closest so hopefully do that one ..

A hilly b*****d of a run that! Probably not as bad as Drumchapel, but good luck all the same!

A hilly b*****d of a run that! Probably not as bad as Drumchapel, but good luck all the same!

Lol it is nowhere near as bad as Drumchapel. Tollcross is a tough run, but Drumchapel is something else.

To put it in perspective, my 5k pb is 17'36", my best as Tollcross is 18'15" and my best at Drumchapel is 19'37"!

Lol it is nowhere near as bad as Drumchapel. Tollcross is a tough run, but Drumchapel is something else.

To put it in perspective, my 5k pb is 17'36", my best as Tollcross is 18'15" and my best at Drumchapel is 19'37"!

Thts amazing times for 5k a haven't got under 20 mins before but if a keep doing these hopefully get a good time .

[emoji1] [emoji1]

Queued for a pish at 1035. Had to just drop trow and squeeze out what i could and by the queue went down it was 1058, thankfully was in the green wave so had a,few spare minutes! Got a PB of 1 hour 53- 5 minutes quicker than ever. Well chuffed but tired tonight!

Shame there was no official medal. Or showers.

Drumchapel is indeed one hilly b*****d! Not knowing what to expect, I targeted 21 mins, which is 2 mins slower than pb. After one lap I realised that was a pipe dream. Made it round in just over 22.

The hills are horrible, but added to that are the downhill sections. They are so steep and gravelly that I had no confidence to run down them fast to regain some time.

I'd go back, just to try post a better time. Less than 30 at it though, can it survive on those numbers?

8 hours ago, tigerton said:

Drumchapel is indeed one hilly b*****d! Not knowing what to expect, I targeted 21 mins, which is 2 mins slower than pb. After one lap I realised that was a pipe dream. Made it round in just over 22.

The hills are horrible, but added to that are the downhill sections. They are so steep and gravelly that I had no confidence to run down them fast to regain some time.

I'd go back, just to try post a better time. Less than 30 at it though, can it survive on those numbers?

Wondered that myself, although there are a few parkruns round the world which get these numbers. Tbh, 30 is a decent number, because the path is so narrow at the start that you're already standing still for a while from the off. 

I've only done it once so I can't remember the course exactly, but from memory, the 2 downhill bits are quite twisty and turny. Surely it would be better if they ran the course in the opposite direction? I'd feel a lot safer on that gravel going up than down. 

Going to have to come west to check this out at some stage. It seems Drumchapel has quickly become notorious!

Considering signing up for the Jimmy Irvine 10k in mid-November. Has anyone here done it before? How is it?

Well done on the PB, stellaboz. Smashed it!