P&b Running Club

Since my last update on 08/08 things have not been the best. Picked up a slight hamstring knock on Thursday 11/08. Didn't think it was too bad, but it was as I had to pull out after 1.25km of Springburn parkrun that Saturday (13/08). I waited for my girlfriend and then paced her the rest of the way to the finish.

After that I did one short jog of the Wednesday (17/08) which didn't go well and then rested until the Sunday (21/08) in hope I would be ready for the Paisley 10k. Unfortunately my warm up proved that I was nearly, but not quite there and was only a spectator as a result!

Managed a fairly fast 3k on Wednesday (24/08) and a 5k at just slower than 10k pace on Thursday and everything felt fine.

And so I went along to Springburn parkrun yesterday seeking vengeance after the epic fail of two weeks ago. It was perennial winner Graeme McCabe's 100th parkrun and he got a well deserved round of applause before we set off.

I started well and held my pace better than expected on the way to third place in 18'04". That is 13 secs outside course pb, but I was really pleased with it in the circumstances. I feel in reasonable shape, but it will take a few weeks at least to get back to where I was.

To top off a great morning I paced my girl for the last 2k and she got a course pb by 5 secs.

This morning I did a shorter than usual long, hilly run. Just 7.55 miles as opposed to the usual 9 or 10, but felt tougher than usual due to the lack of training over the last few weeks. It is amazing how quickly you lose pace and stamina. The stamina comes back really fast in my experience, but the pace takes a bit longer.

Anyway happy to be back running again for sure!

Nutrition is key to sport. Guys like Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic have to eat correctly and deprive themselves of food they love. But there's also the equally well known - although less recommended - Jack Charlton approach, where he took the Ireland team to Harry Ramsden's the night before a game and they gorged on food.

As Dumfries doesn't have a Harry Ramsden's, I had to make do with eating a massive burger and chips last night followed by chocolate brownie. Despite this, I did pretty well in the Doonhamer 10k, finishing in under 47 minutes (46:32 according to my Strava) and ahead of a fair few club folk I never thought I'd beat. Quite pleased with that :)

EDIT: Results show I finished 59th out of 190 in 46.30.

Edited by Stu

Good going there, Stu. Not sure I'd ever want to try your pre-race meal myself, but presumably it helped with the early morning shite, which is surely part of the pre-race routine for every runner!

Got an email from Scottish Athletics earlier saying that the new Stirling marathon is open for entries - anyone planning on having a go at it? It seems a bit strange that they've gone for the week before EMF therefore going into direct competition with it, and I'm a bit disappointed they've gone for a similarly high price of £55. Taking the piss with the entry price seems to be a theme of all teh Great Run events. It does look quite a nice route though, certainly more attractive than the absolute joke of a route that is the Edinburgh marathon.

Looking for advice on running shoes. I'm not a runner at present but as a means of shifting some weight I'm going to start giving it a go. So I'm a bit of a fat bassa and I'm looking for some shoes with a high level of cushioning to protect the old knees and ankles from too much excessive punishment. Anyone have any recommendations?

1 minute ago, serbo99 said:

Brooks seem to be the shoe of choice. The Asics gel ones are very comfy but I'll give brooks a go for my next pair.

Thanks. I've been looking at them, seem to be quite good. I've got the Run and Become shop round the corner from work so I will pop in there and maybe try them on and get some advice from them but it's good to get advice from anyone who uses them or has any recommendations.

15 hours ago, Socks said:

Good going there, Stu. Not sure I'd ever want to try your pre-race meal myself, but presumably it helped with the early morning shite, which is surely part of the pre-race routine for every runner!

Got an email from Scottish Athletics earlier saying that the new Stirling marathon is open for entries - anyone planning on having a go at it? It seems a bit strange that they've gone for the week before EMF therefore going into direct competition with it, and I'm a bit disappointed they've gone for a similarly high price of £55. Taking the piss with the entry price seems to be a theme of all teh Great Run events. It does look quite a nice route though, certainly more attractive than the absolute joke of a route that is the Edinburgh marathon.

Without going into too much detail it probably had the opposite effect :wacko:

Well, I survived my first marathon! The conditions in Iceland were pretty much perfect: 15c (although I still got sunburnt), nice scenery,  a wee wind to cool you down and as it ran through residential areas, lots of people coming out to cheer you on (a couple of folk even set up sprinklers for you to run through). 

No idea if this is the norm, but the half-marathon and full marathon runners run together for the first 13 miles. Which was fine, except a bit demoralising when you split - they have a nice wee run downhill to the finish, and the marathon runners have to leg-it up a brutal hill to do the second half of the course. 

As advised on here,  took things nice and easy at the beginning, but come around mile 20, I was seriously flagging - and had to alternate walking with running. Managed to get round in just over 3hr 54m, which was a bit slower than I'd have liked, but still fast enough to finish in the top third of field. Didn't pick up any injuries, although I was as stiff as a board for the rest of the holiday, which wasn't ideal for clambering up volcanoes and waterfalls. 

Swore blind after the event I'd never do another marathon, but now that the dust has settled, I'd like to try another one - ideally in a foreign country where it's not too hot, busy or hilly. Any suggestions?

Good stuff Cardinal, good to hear you got round in a more than respectable time. I wouldn't be too disappointed with your time, especially when you only managed that one long run before it. Marathon is just a different game altogether to the shorter distances

On 28/08/2016 at 20:03, Socks said:

Yeah, I'm signed up for this.  Think I did it on the first day entries were available a couple of months back!  It's great to have something to hopefully make EMF up their game (e.g. change their route).  It's likely a one-off for me as Great Run have had enough cash from me through the Great Edinburgh, Scottish and North Run events respectively... Are you going to be back on the roads in time to give this one a bash?

On 26/08/2016 at 19:31, theminsk said:

Thinking of going to do the Barcelona marathon on march 12th with my friend depending if i can get it off work if a can still register.

Have any use ran marathons abroad before i have done a half marathon in helsinki last year

Keep trucking away out there, it'll pay off!  Barcelona's meant to be a great run; I know a few folk who've done it, and the city's class.  Weather could go either way, though.

I did the Helsinki Half the year before - it was a weird one where I didn't really feel like I was ever really running in a city!  How did you find it?  I've marathoned in a few foreign places - all the ones I've been to in Western/Northern Europe have been well enough organised and I've never had any bother.  I use it as justification for boarding planes these days.

Cardinal - congrats on Iceland, sounds great too.  Amsterdam's another I've heard good things about - pancake flat and a stadium finish.  If you're not careful this could be the start of something...

The year I did Scottish 10k I parked in Collins Street just off cathedral street. Handy for George square and the green but they may have changed the route as that was 5 yrs ago. 

Keep trucking away out there, it'll pay off!  Barcelona's meant to be a great run; I know a few folk who've done it, and the city's class.  Weather could go either way, though.

I did the Helsinki Half the year before - it was a weird one where I didn't really feel like I was ever really running in a city!  How did you find it?  I've marathoned in a few foreign places - all the ones I've been to in Western/Northern Europe have been well enough organised and I've never had any bother.  I use it as justification for boarding planes

Yeah a was worried about the weather in Barcelona incase it got to hot lol .

Yeah the helsinki one was good part of it in the woods .. A like the finish in the staduim tho that felt good .. I was speaking to my friend of Finland yesterday there is. A marathon there 12 th august .. So mite even do that ..

Many marathons do yous normally run a year i have only run two the last two year but would like to maybe try 2 or 3 a year depending on my fitness and staying injury free.. But could possibly do more half marathons a year ..

Once my shifts change to monday to friday in work will be easier to book more races as everything usually falls on my weekends in work