P&b Running Club

Mixed couple of weeks - Tough Mudder was a bit of a nightmare and I just couldn't get into it as much as I'd hoped.

That said, just been round Stonehaven Half Marathon this afternoon in 1.55.56, sub 2 finally blitzed in style. Had no idea it was on the cards (first 7 miles is all uphill) but got the elevation done in good time and just booted it back down for the last 10k

Hope everyone is running well.

Conditions were horrible yesterday so there was no way I was doing Greenock! Incidentally I did my 100th parkrun at Greenock - must have been in the first 5 or 6 events iirc and was the first person to have a milestone run there!

Anyway re t-shirts, I believe it depends on stock levels. I got the chance to order my volunteer T-shirt last week about two days after earning it.

Cheers. It's my home run, so I had to do my 50th there. They are good at recognising people who have milestones and announcing it. If your 100th was early on, hope it was still the same back then?

They have the 50 shirts in stock so hopefully the link is up soon. Think I'll give Linwood a go this Saturday for it's inaugural running. Organised by a now former Greenock parkrun regular.

Cheers. It's my home run, so I had to do my 50th there. They are good at recognising people who have milestones and announcing it. If your 100th was early on, hope it was still the same back then?

They have the 50 shirts in stock so hopefully the link is up soon. Think I'll give Linwood a go this Saturday for it's inaugural running. Organised by a now former Greenock parkrun regular.

Yeah they did. Also on the old Inverclyde Radio updates they used to always say that I was the first parkrunner to do my 100th at Greenock!

I knew a few of the Greenock crew from other parkruns, so they knew ahead of time that I was coming.

Love the Esplanade, used to walk it with my Grandpa as a kid.

Cracking stuff, Scorge; well done on the PB. Shame you didn't enjoy Tough Mudder - I've done it once and thought it was good fun, but wouldn't bother with it again.

Congrats on the milestone, tigerton. And a handy run in tough conditions.

Bishy, you're flying just now. Found your groove after a tricky spell a few months back!

Last few days here involved a 6-mile club handicap race; I was 1:10 off my predicted time, which I'll blame on the marathon still being in my legs - found it really hard going but it was a good night. Followed it up with a 5ish mile run to & from parkrun, recording a reasonable 20:56 at Portobello. Nowhere near my quickest run there, but it served its purpose.

Can feel my knee, though. Think I started training too much too soon after Tromso, so it'll be a week off to give me some added recovery before 5 consecutive weekends of racing the shorter stuff. Planning!

Yesterday I was running on the outskirts of Perth when I came under attack from a pair of buzzards! I didn't know they were there and the first swoop came from behind, passing just above my head - what a fright! There was nowhere to take shelter so I just kept running. There were about 5 more swoops at me (all from the same one I think, the other was just circling) until I found a branch at the roadside which I waved above my head while I ran, which prevented it from coming as close as before.

Obviously there must have been a nest with chicks nearby. Luckily for me there was no actual contact from the talons, as I've since seen pics online of joggers covered in blood, these things can cause nasty lacerations.

A bit more interesting than the more customary being chased by a dog!

Yesterday I was running on the outskirts of Perth when I came under attack from a pair of buzzards! I didn't know they were there and the first swoop came from behind, passing just above my head - what a fright! There was nowhere to take shelter so I just kept running. There were about 5 more swoops at me (all from the same one I think, the other was just circling) until I found a branch at the roadside which I waved above my head while I ran, which prevented it from coming as close as before.

Obviously there must have been a nest with chicks nearby. Luckily for me there was no actual contact from the talons, as I've since seen pics online of joggers covered in blood, these things can cause nasty lacerations.

Bloody hell. Something else to worry about when running! I'll carry a big branch around with me from now on, just to be on the safe side!

Where about was that? Need to know where to avoid :lol:

About a hundred yards beyond the top of Necessity Brae (the steep hill going up past Aviva and under the M90), the bit where it flattens out into a long straight.

If the hill doesn't get you, the raptors will!

About a hundred yards beyond the top of Necessity Brae (the steep hill going up past Aviva and under the M90), the bit where it flattens out into a long straight.

If the hill doesn't get you, the raptors will!

So where I run on lunch from work (I work for Aviva). I'll need to watch out.

On 04/07/2016 at 10:55 AM, Yngwie said:

Should contact the PA to do a story. Warns other folk and will also give people a laugh ;) We did a story a few years ago about a cyclist who got attacked by buzzards - and he was wearing a helmet!

Did some running in the woods last night for the first time with the running club, was great fun. Was able to do it with my normal trainers too. We were using mountainbike trails and coming back downhill there were a couple of corners banked like a velodrome. I nearly shout "Weeee" going through one of them :lol:

Where's some decent routes for doing some bog standard running in Paisley and in Edinburgh? On holiday at the end of July and will be in Paisley most of the time and Edinburgh for a few days. Stay near the RAH in Paisley and usually use the cyclepath but it's a bit boring after a while. Edinburgh will be Craiglockhart and not really sure of anything. Anyone that knows any routes that pass those bits that can adapt would be brilliant. Have e-mailed Kilbarchan AAC to see if I can tag along with them a few times.

Also seems there's a parkrun started at Linwood, which I might try as we don't have any down here. First in Renfrewshire seemingly: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/linwood/

Haven't ran in a week now, did 240km in June but a school trip to Alton Towers, the staff v pupils football match and a bug have laid me flat.

Getting back into it tomorrow.

Edited by Gaz

My 50th Parkrun today, so thoughut I'd try out the Inaugural Linwood Parkrun. 

Pros: After doing Drumchapel a few weeks ago, which felt like running up the north face of the Eiger, this was one was very flat, so definite scope for a PB. Parts of it you feel you're out in the country too so it's quite scenic. And lots of parking so it's definitely accessible. It's also only 2 laps, so less likely to be lapped / have to lap other people.

Cons: Very narrow throughout ... there are parts where there's only room for 1 runner. There was also a massive bottleneck at the start, although the numbers were probably boosted cos it was the first one. Didn't help that someone with a pushchair was nearly impossible to pass. Most of it is on gravel so some of the runners - including me - looked like we'd been doing Tough Mudder. 

Would definitely go back on a dry day once it quietens down a bit. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

I went to Falkirk for the first time this morning. I had been warned about the heartbreak hill, but as a veteran of Tollcross and Slateford Road (0.9km long hill in Bishy), I didn't think I had much to fear.

The course, as some of you will be aware, is pretty undulating and features one really long hill and one shorter, but steeper one. It is also predominantly on trails which I am not really used to and found a tad tough at times!

The quality of the field wasn't the strongest and I found myself out in front from 150m until the end. So essentially a solo run, although one guy started to reel me in a bit at the end.

The shorter, steep uphill section is a killer - it is about 400m-500m long and is really steep near the top. The Slateford Road reps certainly helped here though as I maintained pace well up it. The longer climb was tough due to the length, but not too bad as it is early in the run.

I won in 18'23" which I was relatively pleased with for a first attempt. Next time I would expect to get close to 18 minutes on a course that I think is just a bit tougher than Pollok.

Callandar Park is lovely and I will definitely be going back!

I attended the first Linwood parkrun on Saturday. Good turnout for the first running, 175 runners I think!

Really liked the course as well. Very flat, almost no incline whatsoever. Mostly ran on trails with some asphalt paths at the start and finish of the loop (2 loop course). My only concern would be that it is a narrow start and fast runners will need to be right at the head of the field to get off to a good start.

I made it round in 19.45, so 10 seconds slower than last week at Greenock (having not ran in between due to studying). I get the feeling this could be a pb course for some. A member of my running club managed to be the first first finisher, with 17.03. Don't think that time will stand for long, but a good start.

Also, the cafe in the sports centre is brilliant!

Hoping to try the Linwood one on Saturday. Never done a parkrun before - probably a bit too far to run there from my brother's and back (3.5 miles each way). Might use the cafe for my breakfast afterwards!

Plans to go to the faster Tuesday session at Dumfries fell apart tonight as only three of us turned up...

EDIT: Might not be going to Linwood on Saturday after all! Seem to have pulled something in my backside again - thought it was just the way I'd been watching TV at the weekend but this morning's run proves there is something wrong as I'm now in agony. Quite literally a bummer :(

Edited by Stu

I got back out last night after 10 days' rest for a dodgy knee. Felt fine, so on to the Musselburgh 10k tomorrow. This'll by my fourth year in a row, and hopefully will continue the trend of going quicker each time!

Lots of club & local races over the next few weeks, should be good fun.

31 minutes ago, morrison said:

I got back out last night after 10 days' rest for a dodgy knee. Felt fine, so on to the Musselburgh 10k tomorrow. This'll by my fourth year in a row, and hopefully will continue the trend of going quicker each time!

Lots of club & local races over the next few weeks, should be good fun.

I signed up for the Scottish 10k at Musselburgh in September. Looking forward to it as I really enjoyed my first competitive run in over 20 years at the Edinburgh MF.

I am going on my honeymoon to the States next Thursday for three weeks. Not exactly ideal preparation and I am hoping any weight gain will come off as quickly as it goes on!  

Mind you, I will have four weeks to get some good runs in before the event.

on a different note does anyone have a link to a site with dates for Scottish 10ks for next season?

I am also hoping to do a half marathon too. However, I am not sure how long it will take me to get up to that level. I reckon I will need to start thinking about it soon and start the training for it not long after if I am to make the step up for a spring/summer 2017 half marathon.