P&b Running Club

There wasn't much between the time of 10k on my watch and my gun/chip times. I just wondered what folk normally went with when it came to timed runs.

Following the wrong pacer for a large part of the men's 10k meant I finished a few minutes ahead of my actual target so I was pretty happy with how that went.

Looking for a wee bit of advice if possible - still very much a rookie runner (parkruns etc) but wanting to try longer distances and be able to build that more throughout the next few months. How do you plan routes for runs? Wanting to plan some around the 8-10k mark initially - any tips gratefully received!

Looking for a wee bit of advice if possible - still very much a rookie runner (parkruns etc) but wanting to try longer distances and be able to build that more throughout the next few months. How do you plan routes for runs? Wanting to plan some around the 8-10k mark initially - any tips gratefully received!

Googlemaps has a measuring tool (right-click on the map) which is useful for measuring distances and planning routes. I sometimes on roads, but stopping for traffic is a bit of a PITA. Pollok Park has a nice 5km route so I just do that multiple times if I want to do longer distances. Similarly, Glasgow Green has a 2.5km route that is reasonably flat.

http://www.plotaroute.comis quite handy for working out how far a run would be - you can also see ones other folk have done which you could use or give you ideas.

I run mainly on roads with a bit of cyclepaths and parks thrown in. Towards the end I don't mind stopping for traffic as it gives me a chance of a breather - I must be the only person who curses at drivers that stop to let me cross!

Edited by Stu

For the more seasoned runners, do you folk have a shelf life for your running shoes? Do you ditch them after a certain period of time or after you've done a set number of miles?

I've the latest version of my current running shoes that I've yet to break in.

For the more seasoned runners, do you folk have a shelf life for your running shoes? Do you ditch them after a certain period of time or after you've done a set number of miles?

I've the latest version of my current running shoes that I've yet to break in.

400-500 miles for me. But the last 2 pairs have started to come part around the 400 mile mark anyway :(

I did some weight training on Saturday and my legs have felt achey from squatting ever since.  I do like lifting weights though, am going to have to balance it with running - twice a week for weights, three runs a week I think.  Maybe up the lifting, run parkrun and longrun at weekends?

This is where I want to do some work.

My first (official) 10k was the Glasgow Mens and came in at 47:47. Want to hit 45 for the Paisley 10k. Do you have a set programme for the weights? What weights are you using?

Cheers

Weights won't help your running tbh - just more bulk. If that is what you want then that is fine - I am a vain bugger and look like a muscle man compared to most runners! Not that I am big or anything, just that I am far from a beanpole! My coaches have often told me to try to lose half a stone, but no chance of that lol!

Sub 45 is possible from that time - intervals and core work (sit-ups/leg raises etc) are the most important components to getting there imo.

Edited by BishyTON

Weights won't help your running tbh - just more bulk. If that is what you want then that is fine - I am a vain bugger and look like a muscle man compared to most runners! Not that I am big or anything, just that I am far from a beanpole! My coaches have often told me to try to lose half a stone, but no chance of that lol!

Sub 45 is possible from that time - intervals and core work (sit-ups/leg raises etc) are the most important components to getting there imo.

Thanks man. It's just amounts that get me ie. I'm I doing enough or too much. I just keep running and running. Not thought about anything else.

Cheers

Didn't do much running last year as I was preoccupied finishing my boat for selling but started again on Thursday here in Japan......fucking hell its tough! 32 degrees and humid! It's a hilly park and I do the circuit twice so only about 4 miles but despite the soreness I went out again yesterday and today :)

Any tips for dealing with the conditions?

Been a while since I posted an update.

3k on the Green last Friday went well. It was pissing down about 20 mins beforehand, but then the sun came out and it was so hot that the course dried out completely by the time we started. I had a hell of a start as my GPS wouldn't sync, so I had no idea where I was pacing wise until I hit my first landmark (the blue bridge) which I know is 700m in. At the 1k mark, I was right on pace, so knew a pb was on. I pushed hard and by the turn I was around a second or two ahead of my best from the month prior.

The second half of the race went well and I knew that sub 10 was potentially on, so pushed hard. In the end, the heat got the better of me and I finished just short in 10'01". Still a pb by 3 secs, but a bit gutting to be so close to the milestone!

The next day I was running and volunteering (barcode scanning post run) at Pollok parkrun. I had not set a course pb there since 2014 and wasn't expecting much given my exertions the prior day.

Anyway, the start was a disaster as the run director said go when there was a van still on the starting straight. Several people, me included, shouted 'hold it', but it was too late and the race started with all but two still on the start line. By the time we started there was about 4 seconds on the clock and we still had to swerve round the (very) slow moving council van.

Those 4 seconds ended up proving costly as I had a great run and finished in 18'00" exactly. That is a 2 second pb, but when you add on the 4 second hold, it was officially an 18'04".

I know it is just a fun run, but I was gutted as it has taken me so long to have a good run there! I was barcode scanning afterwards which helped to cheer me up a bit as I always like to hear other runners stories and have a chat with some of my runner friends. It was my 25th volunteer - so I now only have the illusive 250 T-shirt to earn. Picked up the 25 volunteer T-shirt today after parkrun.

So finally to this morning. My first trip to Victoria park in a while. No course pb here since 2014 as well, but I equalled it exactly twice last year! This was my 180th official parkrun (I never get my barcode scanned when pacing or on alternate courses, so I have done 190-195 overall), so just 70 to go to the magic 250!

Conditions were not ideal, a bit blustery and the ground was damp enough that it was slightly slippy. I had a well paced run and finished it in 17'40". Or in other words another Bubka course pb by 1 second! Just two seconds outside my Greenock time from last month (and my overall 5k pb as well), so all in all it was a good performance.

Really enjoying my racing right now, which is always the case when you hit a bit of form!

Edited by BishyTON

a wee milestone at the parkrun this morning...my 50th run , didn't have a pb in mind ,just had an enjoyable run in 23.25 so decent enough. :)

Well done! It was my 50th yesterday as well. Done it at Greenock. I was hoping to have a go at my pb but the conditions were quite terrible. Horrible wind and rain into your face for the first mile, then again after the second turn. I still went as fast as I could and managed 19.35, 30 seconds out sadly. 

How long does it take to get the link n your profile to allow you to order the T shirt?

Didn't do much running last year as I was preoccupied finishing my boat for selling but started again on Thursday here in Japan......fucking hell its tough! 32 degrees and humid! It's a hilly park and I do the circuit twice so only about 4 miles but despite the soreness I went out again yesterday and today :)

Any tips for dealing with the conditions?

Well personally, if it's over 20 degrees, I don't bother, but I guess that's not what you're looking for. 

I'd suggest doing it in the early morning. It's cooler and the air will probably be a bit cleaner. 

Well done! It was my 50th yesterday as well. Done it at Greenock. I was hoping to have a go at my pb but the conditions were quite terrible. Horrible wind and rain into your face for the first mile, then again after the second turn. I still went as fast as I could and managed 19.35, 30 seconds out sadly.

How long does it take to get the link n your profile to allow you to order the T shirt?

Conditions were horrible yesterday so there was no way I was doing Greenock! Incidentally I did my 100th parkrun at Greenock - must have been in the first 5 or 6 events iirc and was the first person to have a milestone run there!

Anyway re t-shirts, I believe it depends on stock levels. I got the chance to order my volunteer T-shirt last week about two days after earning it.

signed up to the July distance challenge on Strava ,need to do a few miles anyway as I've got the Portaferry 10 mile on the 19th .Not a bad start  17km so far or 10.5 miles in old money ,aiming for 110 which should be ok as I've got a couple of weeks off work at the end of July.