P&b Running Club

Little bit different from last year's new men's health 10k route, but like last year it should be quick. Should offer a very good chance of a pb.

Quicker than last years route due to the lack of Kingston Bridge imo. No real uphill sections make it a potential pb course.

Nice one, Bishy. The title and the glory is on!

Great going Gaz, that's a good chunk out of a 10k time.

I ran the Midnight Sun Marathon in Tromsø last night. As much of a novelty as the 830pm start was, you soon forget all about it. It's been overcast the whole time & rocking up to the start, it felt like a regular early morning start.

In a small field, me and a couple of mates started on the 'second row', closer to the front than we'll ever get! Ran along with one of them for 30k before I started to fade; a 3h 12 time drifting out to a 3h 18 by the end for what was my second fastest time. Happy with that.

My legs hate me today. Marathons are hard.

Great going Gaz, that's a good chunk out of a 10k time.

Cheers! Still nearly 7 minutes slower than my PB, but to be honest I don't think I'll ever be in as good shape as I was back in 2011.

Just did the glasgow 10k there time of 43:02 happy way the time because my street 10k time was 44 mins ..

But still have a sore knee since my marathon dont no if a should go get it checked before a book up for loch ness marathon

Great running mate.

I did the Mens 10k as well. Pleasant enough day for it, although we were running into a breeze for the first 7km or so. Still not far from ideal conditions.

Was through 5k in 17'49", which is too fast, but held on decently well to finish is 36'38", which was good enough for 14th place. Not quite a pb (36'32" at Clydebank last month), but my second fastest 10k ever. The lack of anyone to run with probably cost me as I felt better than at Clydebank, although the Mens 10k course is undoubtedly a bit harder.

Stull at least 3k and 5k pbs and my two fastest 10k times ever in the last month show I am in great form for a change! Who knows, I might even catch the flying Hawkins brothers (1st and 2nd - both sub 30 mins and both going to Rio to run the Marathon for Great Britain) some day...... yeah right lol!

Anyway it was an enjoyable race and the roadside support was fantastic in parts. Aside from 3k on the Green and parkruns that is probably my last race until August.

Edited by BishyTON

Great running mate.

I did the Mens 10k as well. Pleasant enough day for it, although we were running into a breeze for the first 7km or so. Still not far from ideal conditions.

Was through 5k in 17'49", which is too fast, but held on decently well to finish is 36'38", which was good enough for 14th place. Not quite a pb (36'32" at Clydebank last month), but my second fastest 10k ever. The lack of anyone to run with probably cost me as I felt better than at Clydebank, although the Mens 10k course is undoubtedly a bit harder.

Stull at least 3k and 5k pbs and my two fastest 10k times ever in the last month show I am in great form for a change! Who knows, I might even catch the flying Hawkins brothers (1st and 2nd - both sub 30 mins and both going to Rio to run the Marathon for Great Britain) some day...... yeah right lol!

Anyway it was an enjoyable race and the roadside support was fantastic in parts. Aside from 3k on the Green and parkruns that is probably my last race until August.

Yeah was decent weather .. Thats great time would love to get to a speed like that ..

Well done on the 14th place finish a was 228th lol My aim for nxt 10k is to try to get to maybe 40 mins.

I enjoyed the 10k since i had only ran half and full marathons races before.

A mite try the 3k just to see what my pb would be.

A need to be more consistent with my training tho get lazy some times.

A think i am booking up the loch ness marathon this weekend so am straight into training hard before a start to get lazy

For a first 10k that is great mate. I have been running for 7 years now and have got my time down from 49 mins to 36 mins over that time. My 5k is also down from 25 mins to 17 mins.

That is all down to training mate, so absolutely no reason why you can't go sub 40 or even faster than that. Trust me, I am not a quick runner naturally. I have a bit of distance running ability, but it is mostly down to working hard for me!

I did some weight training on Saturday and my legs have felt achey from squatting ever since.  I do like lifting weights though, am going to have to balance it with running - twice a week for weights, three runs a week I think.  Maybe up the lifting, run parkrun and longrun at weekends?

With regards to times when doing a park run or an organised 10k, do you good people take your gun/chip time as final or do you go with your watch/app times?

I ask as I've done a couple of organised 10k runs now and generally find I've hit that mark short of the official finish so usually will stop my watch and take that as my time.

Also with regards to running shoes, when on average should you look to start breaking in a new pair? I've run roughly 500km in my current shoes.

Thanks

I always use chip time for races with the facility and gun times for the rest. Given that I normally start very near the front, the gun time ranges from between 0-5 secs slower than chip time.

Are you using a running watch? I ask as the Garmins I have used always seem to measure courses slightly short. None of them actually are, it is just GPS signalling issues. The exceptions have been GSR 10k, GSR HM and Men's 10k for races and Greenock and Strathclyde parkruns. Most organised races are slightly long, say 10-15m to ensure that times are definitely valid. I think the biggest event are nearer 50m long sometimes for the same reasons. Greenock and Strathclyde parkruns measure bang on due to lack of trees etc.

I use the Nike+/tomtom running watch.

I'd just noticed that at the men's 10k last week and at the 10k great Scottish run my watch had hit the 10k mark about 50 meters short of the finish line.

it can vary a little depending on weather and so on,sometimes you can just lose signal for a few seconds which can alter the result a bit .