P&b Running Club

Been running the same short course for a couple of weeks now. Have taken a couple of minutes off my time. I can't be arsed plodding endlessly around the streets fucking up my joints. I prefer to just run a short course as fast as I can.

Definitely feel the benefit though. Been hammering it on the exercise bike too most nights and playing squash twice a week. Wanted to lose two stones to get back to the weight I was when I was 20. Got just under a stone to go so should get there soon enough. It feels quite good shifting the wee bit of weight, I was never fat but even shifting that amount makes training a lot easier.

Still smoking though. :D

I'm having a few problems with my Nike+ sensor.

I've now ran for 200.48km in the past three and a half weeks (although on the Nike+ website it shows 199.83km, strange). I'm getting accuracy of between 92%-95% which I'm led to believe is about as good as Nike+ gets, so that's not a problem.

I've only used it for walking twice - the 400m I walked to calibrate it when I first got it, and a walk into Falkirk a couple of weeks back, but I walked into Stirling after Uni yesterday and decided to try it out again.

I got into Stirling, looked at the iPod and it said I'd only walked 0.34km! Now as anyone who knows Stirling will know, the Uni is a good 2-3km from the town centre.

When I was walking back, I tried it again, though I kept an eye on the iPod. Seems like what it's doing is it's not recognising my pace - it shows as "-'--" for Pace, so it's not logging any kilometres I've walked.

I've tried recalibrating it again, but the same thing happens when I recalibrate, and when I get to the end of 400m (I use the running track at Uni to calibrate it, can't get more accurate than that) it says the distance I have walked does not match the distance I've selected, so it doesn't save it.

I've had a look on a few forums and there seems to be some suggestions. One is that ideally the sensor should be horizontal. I don't have Nike+ shoes so I cut open the tongue, put the sensor in the tongue, and sewed it back in. It's not horizontal, but worked perfectly fine when calibrating the first time and (for running) ever since.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've read it's far more accurate when in the sole of your shoe. Something to do with the impact of your foot hitting the ground (might be where the horizontal thing comes from).

There are insoles you can get with a gap for the sensor but I forget where they are. It looks fiddly and they may be vastly overpriced for what they are. You have to heat mould them to the shape of your foot in a microwave to ensure a comfy sensor fit somehow.

Heat moulding in a microwave? Blimey, that sounds intense. I think I shall just have to invest in a pair of Nike+ shoes. Will be needing a new pair soon anyway so might get some in the next couple of weeks :)

I see that Gebrselassie broke his own marathon world record today at Berlin with a time of 2:03:59.

That's an average pace of 4:42 minute miles....... over 26.2 miles!

I couldn't even sprint 100 metres that fast!

This pace is the same as running 4 consecutive 10ks in under 30 mins..... and then running another 2 miles at the same pace for good measure!!

I see that Gebrselassie broke his own marathon world record today at Berlin with a time of 2:03:59.

That's an average pace of 4:42 minute miles....... over 26.2 miles!

I couldn't even sprint 100 metres that fast!

This pace is the same as running 4 consecutive 10ks in under 30 mins..... and then running another 2 miles at the same pace for good measure!!

Fucking unreal isn't it.

At Denny this Sunday I'll be delighted if I get round 10K in 48-49 minutes... and even then I'll probably be blowing out my arse afterwards!

I'm having a few problems with my Nike+ sensor.

I've now ran for 200.48km in the past three and a half weeks (although on the Nike+ website it shows 199.83km, strange). I'm getting accuracy of between 92%-95% which I'm led to believe is about as good as Nike+ gets, so that's not a problem.

I've only used it for walking twice - the 400m I walked to calibrate it when I first got it, and a walk into Falkirk a couple of weeks back, but I walked into Stirling after Uni yesterday and decided to try it out again.

I got into Stirling, looked at the iPod and it said I'd only walked 0.34km! Now as anyone who knows Stirling will know, the Uni is a good 2-3km from the town centre.

When I was walking back, I tried it again, though I kept an eye on the iPod. Seems like what it's doing is it's not recognising my pace - it shows as "-'--" for Pace, so it's not logging any kilometres I've walked.

I've tried recalibrating it again, but the same thing happens when I recalibrate, and when I get to the end of 400m (I use the running track at Uni to calibrate it, can't get more accurate than that) it says the distance I have walked does not match the distance I've selected, so it doesn't save it.

I've had a look on a few forums and there seems to be some suggestions. One is that ideally the sensor should be horizontal. I don't have Nike+ shoes so I cut open the tongue, put the sensor in the tongue, and sewed it back in. It's not horizontal, but worked perfectly fine when calibrating the first time and (for running) ever since.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I use the pouch and have noticed a big difference since I changed shoes especially in the pace it is recording I am going to try and shift the sensor further down my shoe to see if that makes a difference. I had no idea about the horizontal stuff and might explain the difference in results.

Alright- I've decided that I'm getting into this and want a Nike+ thingy for my birthday on Friday (already have the ipod nano). Am I better with a Nike pair or buying a better pair of running shoes and buying the sensor?

(When I say buying, my folks will pay for it unless I start taking the piss price-wise)

I don't think Nike+ shoes come with the sensor, you still need to buy that seperately, just the Nike+ shoes have a pouch in the insole for tucking the sensor in.

If you don't buy Nike+ shoes you can buy a wee clip from eBay or the likes to clip the sensor onto your laces.

Decided to go another route for my run today and did 10.53km in 47min 02sec. Not sure if thats a good time or not I just simply run :lol: Just clocking up as many k's as possible at the moment as my football season has finished.

Decided to go another route for my run today and did 10.53km in 47min 02sec. Not sure if thats a good time or not I just simply run :lol: Just clocking up as many k's as possible at the moment as my football season has finished.

The fact you were out for a run is good in itself.