P&b Running Club

Wish I were a runner. Only thing I run to is the fridge. I am incredibly overweight and have no fitness whatsoever, embarrasing for a young guy really. Could do with shedding a few stone then maybe do a bit of light running.

No worries bud. Good thing you've got the idea in your head, it's the first part of getting the motivation. Start simple, just cut out the bad things in your diet and replace them with good things. That itself will shed a few pounds very quickly; once you've shed what you deem good enough, head to the gym and start proper :) Good luck.

Wish I were a runner. Only thing I run to is the fridge. I am incredibly overweight and have no fitness whatsoever, embarrasing for a young guy really. Could do with shedding a few stone then maybe do a bit of light running.

Been there, done that. I was obese five years ago and am now a pretty decent distance runner. It can be done if you are determined and put in the effort consistently.

Best advice I can give is get in the gym asap. Once you start doing even light sessions in there then your metabolic rate will increase a lot and the weight will drop off you if you watch your diet.

Also incorporate weights into any gym routine. I did pure cardio when I lost weight and it cost me a lot of muscle. It took me a long time and a hell of a lot of effort to get it back.

Finally, if your enthusiasm is starting to wain then set a target (I.e. sign up for a 5k or something like that) so that you have to force yourself to go to the gym/go on training jogs.

Edited by BishyTON

No worries bud. Good thing you've got the idea in your head, it's the first part of getting the motivation. Start simple, just cut out the bad things in your diet and replace them with good things. That itself will shed a few pounds very quickly; once you've shed what you deem good enough, head to the gym and start proper :) Good luck.

Been there, done that. I was obese five years ago and am now a pretty decent distance runner. It can be done if you are determined and put in the effort consistently.

Best advice I can give is get in the gym asap. Once you start doing even light sessions in there then your metabolic rate will increase a lot and the weight will drop off you if you watch your diet.

Also incorporate weights into any gym routine. I did pure cardio when I lost weight and it cost me a lot of muscle. It took me a long time and a hell of a lot of effort to get it back.

Finally, if your enthusiasm is starting to wain then set a target (I.e. sign up for a 5k or something like that) so that you have to force yourself to go to the gym/go on training jogs.

Cheers for the advice guys. I've tried a couple of times before to get into a routine but just didn't work out. Feel being this overweight so young is really holding me back. Something needs to be done NOW. No more half hearted efforts, got to stick at it this time. Doing this will definitely make me feel better and of course I need to start caring about my health.

9km last night, 50:30ish. Was around 27c when I went out, and a lightning/electrical storm started around 10 minutes before I finished. Disgustingly hot conditions, but I hope forcing myself to do it will be to my benefit when I get a chance to run in something approaching "Ideal" weather.

10 mile from larbert to Dunipace and back. Not much running mainly pace walking.

Now have Doms from Spin on Tuesday.

That's a good effort.....next time you can aim for a slightly quicker pace and build it from there :)

The important thing is you're getting out there and doing regular exercise......keep it up mate :)

Anyone else running the Blackrock 5 tonight? My first time so not sure what to expect. Looks like a fun run along the beach and round the rock, but not sure how long the run is. Anyone know? It's longer than 5km, but doesnt seem to be as much as 5 miles... don't want to run out of steam half way across the Forth!

That's a good effort.....next time you can aim for a slightly quicker pace and build it from there :)

The important thing is you're getting out there and doing regular exercise......keep it up mate :)

Aye i have had some problems this year. Done ligaments both in my foot and knee.

Mainly walking to build strength and gym a few times a week when possible.

Aye i have had some problems this year. Done ligaments both in my foot and knee.

Mainly walking to build strength and gym a few times a week when possible.

you tried cycling too mate? not as good as running but builds stamina and helps your fitness.

Anyone else running the Blackrock 5 tonight? My first time so not sure what to expect. Looks like a fun run along the beach and round the rock, but not sure how long the run is. Anyone know? It's longer than 5km, but doesnt seem to be as much as 5 miles... don't want to run out of steam half way across the Forth!

6.9km according to this.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/gb/kinghorn-sct/black-rock-5-route-33308906

My running is on hold for a bit.

I've been having hip pain and an x-ray has shown some damage so I'm booked in for an MRI Arthrogram next Friday. Not looking forward to it, it basically involves getting dye injected into the hip joint (ouch) before getting an MRI scan.

That will show exactly what the damage is but the consultant had a bit of a guess based on the x-ray and has warned me I might need to get some rough edges shaved of the bone.

My running is on hold for a bit.

I've been having hip pain and an x-ray has shown some damage so I'm booked in for an MRI Arthrogram next Friday. Not looking forward to it, it basically involves getting dye injected into the hip joint (ouch) before getting an MRI scan.

That will show exactly what the damage is but the consultant had a bit of a guess based on the x-ray and has warned me I might need to get some rough edges shaved of the bone.

Ouch x2.

Hope this is one of those cases where a Dr is wrong. Stay well.

Completed the Black Rock 5 in 35 mins last night. Runkeeper had it tracked at just a touch over 7km. A really enjoyable run and well worth the entry. Didn't quite factor how tough running on sand/in water was going to be and the hill climbs at the end were a challenge, but have a 5s tournament today so took it fairly easy.

Next year I'd like to run it again and really push it.

Quality bottle of beer at the end for all finishers too :-)

Edited by Munter