P&b Running Club

Trying to up my mileage now - been doing several 2-3 mile runs every week and starting to find them easy, so trying to build up. Went for a 40 minute run yesterday which was around four miles. Managed it despite fairly well, although definitely need to invest in an iPod to get some music while I run!

I think a 10k in August is a distinct possibility.

Just back from the MHFS 10k at Bellahouston. Posted 37.11.

3 secs slower than Dumbarton but its a tougher course. Very happy with that. Should get me in the top 50 at least. Last year that time would have been top 20 but I think the numbers doubled this year.

More than 4,000 entries by the looks of it, it seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year. Very well organised this year, unlike last year's shambles at the start. I particularly liked the nightclub bouncers at the start keeping everyone away from the starting line - very professional! :lol:

Just back from Bellahouston as well. The race didn't go as well as I had planned and I am pretty disappointed with 43:39 (watch time). That's over a minute slower than my 10K pb :(

Since the Edinburgh marathon i've only been out running 4 times but three of those were in the week immediately afterwards. I now realise that I should have had more rest during that week. I also started a new job last week which meant that I didn't get out as much as I would have liked this last week.

I'm probably going to look for a 10K later in the year and put together a serious training program for it. I need to do more threshold and tempo runs to up my pace. I know I can get under 40 minutes for 10K!!!

Just back from Bellahouston as well. The race didn't go as well as I had planned and I am pretty disappointed with 43:39 (watch time). That's over a minute slower than my 10K pb :(

Since the Edinburgh marathon i've only been out running 4 times but three of those were in the week immediately afterwards. I now realise that I should have had more rest during that week. I also started a new job last week which meant that I didn't get out as much as I would have liked this last week.

I'm probably going to look for a 10K later in the year and put together a serious training program for it. I need to do more threshold and tempo runs to up my pace. I know I can get under 40 minutes for 10K!!!

Put it into perspective. Look at the results when they come out and you'll see that 43.39 puts you ahead of most folk in the race - and then consider that 99% of the population are not fit enough to run 10 yards never mind 10k - and certainly never mind 43.39.

I was running 10ks in 43 mins just 2 years ago and went sub 40 mins at last year's MHFS 10k and am now heading for sub 37 mins. If I can do it you can do it. The trick is to do regular speedwork sessions - preferably with some like minded runners if you can.

Try doing 5 reps of 1 mile with 7.30 mins to do each, including the rest. The aim is to do them in around 6.15 mins giving you 75 secs recovery. If you do them in 6.30 for example then you get 60 secs rest. It may be hard to achieve at first - but try it once a week. You'll eventually get there and then you'll do sub 40 mins.

Then move up to 5 reps of 6 min miles with 60 secs recovery and you can do a 37 min 10k.

Oh aye...... and losing a stone of weight will also do wonders for your time...... :lol:

Seriously, if you can spare losing some weight then you'll cut your 10k time by 12 secs for each lb in weight that you lose. ;)

Put it into perspective. Look at the results when they come out and you'll see that 43.39 puts you ahead of most folk in the race - and then consider that 99% of the population are not fit enough to run 10 yards never mind 10k - and certainly never mind 43.39.

I was running 10ks in 43 mins just 2 years ago and went sub 40 mins at last year's MHFS 10k and am now heading for sub 37 mins. If I can do it you can do it. The trick is to do regular speedwork sessions - preferably with some like minded runners if you can.

Try doing 5 reps of 1 mile with 7.30 mins to do each, including the rest. The aim is to do them in around 6.15 mins giving you 75 secs recovery. If you do them in 6.30 for example then you get 60 secs rest. It may be hard to achieve at first - but try it once a week. You'll eventually get there and then you'll do sub 40 mins.

Then move up to 5 reps of 6 min miles with 60 secs recovery and you can do a 37 min 10k.

Oh aye...... and losing a stone of weight will also do wonders for your time...... :lol:

Seriously, if you can spare losing some weight then you'll cut your 10k time by 12 secs for each lb in weight that you lose. ;)

Unfortunately I can't really afford to shed any weight, 6 foot and 10 stone soaking wet!

I like the sound of that speedwork session. As part of my marathon training I was doing mile reps in about 6:21 but that was with a half mile recovery in between. I know what I need to do, it's just a case of getting out there and doing the hard work now!

You must be quite chuffed with 16th place? Well done!!!

Just checked the results, 217th place. If I'd run my pb time i'd have been 157th!

Edited by The Poker King

Unfortunately I can't really afford to shed any weight, 6 foot and 10 stone soaking wet!

Fucking hell! I'm 5 ft 10 and 10.5 stone and I keep getting told I'm too skinny!

You must be quite chuffed with 16th place? Well done!!!

Very happy. Ideally I would have liked to get sub 37 but I don't think I could have run any faster yesterday. I aim to be well under 37 at the Paisley 10k at end of Aug.

Just checked the results, 217th place. If I'd run my pb time i'd have been 157th!

As I said, 217th out of 2,500 odd runners is tremendous. Compared to the average person in the street you are an athlete. Always remember that if you fail to beat a PB! B)

I like the sound of that speedwork session. As part of my marathon training I was doing mile reps in about 6:21 but that was with a half mile recovery in between.

Its the restriction of recovery that is important. Yopu need to learn to pace yourself so that the recovery is sufficient to get you through. You may not be able to do it right away but the most important thing is to do speedwork sesssions consistently.

If you do an interval speedwork sesssion once a week every week, you'll get sub 40 in no time. ;)

Results are on the website.

43:39 gets you near 200th place out of 2,539..... so not a bad effort after all!

I finished in 16th place! My mate who ran with me finished 26th. Not a bad morning's effort!

Two tremendous times there. Superb and inspiring stuff :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am due to do my first "tempo run" tomorrow but need some advice - how should I pace myself for this? any tips would be greatly appreciated

I do Tempo runs. Its not quite race pace, but quite a hard run over a comfortable distance. If doing 5 miles total, take a warmup mile, and a cool down mile at the end. The middle 3 up the 'tempo' to a near race pace. Working quite hard.

The Runners World website has training plans that include, tempo, speedwork, and easy runs. You can enter a race time from a previous race, and it will work out paces to aim for. Look for Runners World Smart Coach. Good luck!

I completed my first 10k race on Sunday. East Kilbride. Really enjoyed it. Finished 53.12 which was my target. Still had a bit left in the tank at the end to push on when reaching the track. Going to sign up for the Glasgow run in September, although tempted to train for half marathon. We'll see....

I do Tempo runs. Its not quite race pace, but quite a hard run over a comfortable distance. If doing 5 miles total, take a warmup mile, and a cool down mile at the end. The middle 3 up the 'tempo' to a near race pace. Working quite hard.

The Runners World website has training plans that include, tempo, speedwork, and easy runs. You can enter a race time from a previous race, and it will work out paces to aim for. Look for Runners World Smart Coach. Good luck!

I completed my first 10k race on Sunday. East Kilbride. Really enjoyed it. Finished 53.12 which was my target. Still had a bit left in the tank at the end to push on when reaching the track. Going to sign up for the Glasgow run in September, although tempted to train for half marathon. We'll see....

Thanks the programme I am doing builds up the tempo runs from 30mins to about 45. I was just the "comfortable hard pace" that I wasnt sure about.

My ultimate plan is build up to a decent 10k pace and then look to move up the distances

This thread gave me inspiration, so yesterday I went to Greaves and bought a pair of New Balance trainers. They're absolutely huge because of my broad feet, but have good padding.

Decided to do my first run through Linn Park today. Quite an interesting course. Very hilly at some points, and lots of stairs. Also saw some guys that used to go to my school, aged 14-15, drinking mad dog on the steps. I felt such pride.

I'm glad I did it. I play better at 5s when I'm at peak fitness, so hopefully I'll go back to being a complete monster at 5s again.

I took it up at the end of February when I was stupidly obese and on the verge of heart failure.

Took a bit of time/effort to build myself up for it, but I managed the Baker Hughes 10k in Aberdeen in May (58 mins dead), and I've just got back in from doing another one in Stonehaven (57 mins dead, but more hilly).

Going to try the Loch Ness Marathon in October, all going well.

Running is great, anyone should be encouraged to do it......

Edited by Scorge

Went for my first ever run today. Not sure how far it was but lasted about an hour and it almost killed me .

I usaully smoke about twenty a day and have not done any exercise for years. Been gradualy building up to it though , down to 5 ciggies a day and have been doing a lot of walking the last few weeks in preperation.

Apart from a few aches ,i feel quite good about the whole thing . Think I might do it again tomorrow.

Went for my first ever run today. Not sure how far it was but lasted about an hour and it almost killed me .

I usaully smoke about twenty a day and have not done any exercise for years. Been gradualy building up to it though , down to 5 ciggies a day and have been doing a lot of walking the last few weeks in preperation.

Apart from a few aches ,i feel quite good about the whole thing . Think I might do it again tomorrow.

I would rest tomorrow mate or go for a light run/stretch. I suspect you'll be sore. Don't do too much too quickly or you'll injure yourself. Well done on the run though. :D