P&b Running Club

Cheers for that - not looking to get into serious, just for fitness :)

Sometimes it is easy to get put off especially if you are training by yourself. A target or a race will help keep you motivated and give you a reason to head out when you cant be bothered

My race number for the Edinburgh Marathon is 5792, previous best is 4 hours 2 mins so looking to get comfortably unde the 4 hour marker on Sunday :)

Just back from an easy 6 miles just now, i'm sure my mind is playing tricks with me and saying my muscles are tight but i know better, plenty stretches afterwards anyway. Trained 500 miles odd now, few wee twinges here and there but nothing that should hamper a good time on Sunday.

Keeping a keen eye on the weather now also.

Cheers for that - not looking to get into serious, just for fitness :)

I would also recommend signing up for something. Remember that a race isn't necessarily for beating everyone round a course. I signed up for the Edinburgh 10K when my weekly game of 5s temporarily stopped to give me the motivation to keep exercising. Was well worth it.

My race number for the Edinburgh Marathon is 5792, previous best is 4 hours 2 mins so looking to get comfortably unde the 4 hour marker on Sunday :)

Just back from an easy 6 miles just now, i'm sure my mind is playing tricks with me and saying my muscles are tight but i know better, plenty stretches afterwards anyway. Trained 500 miles odd now, few wee twinges here and there but nothing that should hamper a good time on Sunday.

Keeping a keen eye on the weather now also.

Aw the best Watty for sunday. My family appreciate your efforts ;)

Cheers!

I can't speak for the other guys but I'm looking forward to getting it over and done with. I was reading the final instructions for pre and post-race and started to crap it big style.

Thank god for the Champions League and Indiana Jones to take my mind off it!

Early weather forecast is for rain on Sunday. 12 degrees with a north easternly wind of 17mph. So basically running into the wind and rain along the shore until mile 18 :rolleyes:

If that means for the last 8 miles i'm going to have a good tail wind then i can take that, yeh no problems. Come on stay positive!! And it wont be pishing doon, light drizzle is great for us runners......aint it ?

If that means for the last 8 miles i'm going to have a good tail wind then i can take that, yeh no problems. Come on stay positive!! And it wont be pishing doon, light drizzle is great for us runners......aint it ?

I say bring it on!

I've been out in the pishing snow this year so a drenching won't bother me. I remember a fantastic 20 mile run out to Cuross via the Kincardine Bridge 5 years ago and it tipped down for about 2 hours.

I was completely wringing and my gutties were squelching but it felt great.

5 miles tempo tonight, 2 miles easy tomorrow and that's me finished. Cinema on Friday to take my mind off things. Saturday I'll have the arduous task of selecting an 80 min playlist for my iPod. 80 mins because at mile 18 you start to double back on yourself and that's where my motivation went out the window back in 2003. I'll be needing the sharp boost a carefully selected tracklist can give me to get me through those last 8 miles.

I notice there are 3 energy gel stations this time round. In 2003 they had some kids handing out some rancid gels from a cardboard box around 17 miles. I won't need to take any with me this time now :)

I say bring it on!

I've been out in the pishing snow this year so a drenching won't bother me. I remember a fantastic 20 mile run out to Cuross via the Kincardine Bridge 5 years ago and it tipped down for about 2 hours.

I was completely wringing and my gutties were squelching but it felt great.

5 miles tempo tonight, 2 miles easy tomorrow and that's me finished. Cinema on Friday to take my mind off things. Saturday I'll have the arduous task of selecting an 80 min playlist for my iPod. 80 mins because at mile 18 you start to double back on yourself and that's where my motivation went out the window back in 2003. I'll be needing the sharp boost a carefully selected tracklist can give me to get me through those last 8 miles.

I notice there are 3 energy gel stations this time round. In 2003 they had some kids handing out some rancid gels from a cardboard box around 17 miles. I won't need to take any with me this time now :)

I don't have that Nike+ thing so when I was getting ready for the Edinburgh 10K, I spent about an hour working out my pacing, timing and what songs would come on where.

I'd just hit the 9K mark and legs were starting to stiffen up when Stronger by Kanye West came on. Oh yes :D

I don't have that Nike+ thing so when I was getting ready for the Edinburgh 10K, I spent about an hour working out my pacing, timing and what songs would come on where.

I'd just hit the 9K mark and legs were starting to stiffen up when Stronger by Kanye West came on. Oh yes :D

I kicked off that 10K with a bit of Richard III by Supergrass and sprint finished to Low by the Foo Fighters.

Track of the day though was Ya Mama by Fatboy Slim. It fair powered me up Queens Drive

I kicked off that 10K with a bit of Richard III by Supergrass and sprint finished to Low by the Foo Fighters.

Track of the day though was Ya Mama by Fatboy Slim. It fair powered me up Queens Drive

As much as I loathe the stuff, I find that early 90s Happy Hardcore style music is the best for running to, due to the high tempo and, I'm unashamed to admit it, catchy tunes.

Children of the Night, Set You Free, Come With Me, Discoland... :ph34r:

Starting off local (Broadwood Loch which is about 5 miles right around behind the woodland and round the loch finnishing with going round the stadium and up), did 3 'laps' in 1:22:42. No idea if this is good or not for a first try so please direct me there.
Is that 3 laps of 5 miles?

15 miles in 82 mins is pretty fantastic going. Works out at just under 5.50 minute miles by my quick reckoning :lol: That would work out at a 2hr 24min marathon.

I'm not knocking you though, either you should get your route measured or try out for the Olympics :P

From what I have been able to establish (and not knowing the area) the distance around the loch is about 4 kms (about 2.5miles). Hope this helps

Aye - it appears to be 2.2 miles - but still good to run! :)

Check this Blog which mentions from the Broadwood gym around the loch...

Anyone have any tips on glucosamine? I went into buy some the other day and there was about 30 different types :huh: .

Which? Magazine recommends Glucosamine as the ONLY supplement which their team of doctors confirms ACTUALLY does do the good it claims. However, they say you need to consume a minimum 1500mg a day: I take only1000mg a day - and it does work.

My wummin had crippling back problems and tried it - I believe in NONE of that nonsense - but suddenly her back got better and has continued strong! She now goes spinning 3 or 4 times a weeka and does Bodypump classes - as well as going up hills wi me. It took about 6 weeks before she thought she felt benefit.

Took me about 2/3 weeks, before I realised I was not stiff every morning... er... you know wot I mean.

Various guys in my ruunning club use it and it works for them

Ir replaces the worn out bit between joints and is merely crushed crustacean shells. It pishes out of you if you have enough and does no harm. And is particularly beneficial for Auld basturts. Allegedly. :rolleyes:

It's VERY Expensive in Boots or High Street drug stores - I get mine online.

Used to use an Embra firm citidrug - but they don't operate any more - currently best deals on Gold Seal.

Remember 1000mg minimum - and - persist for a few weeks afore you feel the benefit.

Straight glucosamine 1000mg tabs is best.

You can get it with or without salt (sodium) and with added creatine for which unsubstantiated claims are made - and it costrs extra...

I hope this helps? :)

3 Miles today completed in 24 minutes. This'll be my last run before the marathon and was just a nice short effort to keep the legs ticking over. I'm beginning to get the nervous/excited feeling that I usually get before a race. Can't wait for 9 am on Sunday morning