P&b Running Club

Managed to grab a couple of hours back from work this afternoon and done my Strathclyde Park 3 laps run (11.1 miles by my calculations). Easily beat my best time today. OK, compared to some of the times posted on here it's pretty poor, but I was happy. 1hr:41mins:45secs. :D was very chuffed. Was trying so hard I almost puked with a few hundred metres to go.

Think I'll do it again saturday morning. Amazing how a good bit of progress spurs you on.

Its amazing what a difference the temperature makes. Fairly cool today, when its as hot as it has been for the past couple of weeks, I totally die a death after about 20/25 minutes.

Just completed my last Sunday run before the Edinburgh Marathon next week - and it went without a hitch (or should that be a stitch!).

12 miles in 1:23:30, averaging jsut under 7 minute miles.

Not sure I can achieve a sub 3 hour marathon now however. I reckon I could have a month ago but I think I've lost some endurance over the past month with my long run stitch problems. My Troon 10k time of 37:56 suggest I should be able to run a 2.55 marathon and my Alloa Half Marathon time of 1:24:53 also suggests a sub 3 hr marathon is achievable..... but just maybe not this year!

At least I'll be at Edinburgh next week though!

Edited by Captain_Sensible

My training for Edinburgh has went a bit pear shaped as well over the past month or so. I started to get really bad shin splints, bad enough that I had to walk home from half way round a 6 mile run. Something i've never had to do before. A quick chat with a physio and he recommended that I make sure there is no tightness at all in any part of my legs. So for the past 4 weeks i've been stretching for about 20 minutes every night and on Friday I managed to have my first pain-free run for about 5 weeks. I had considered pulling out of the marathon but have decided that i'm going to give it a go. I had originally aimed for 3:45 or under but now i'm optimistically aiming for under 4 hours and realistically just to finish it!

My race number is 3514

My training for Edinburgh has went a bit pear shaped as well over the past month or so. I started to get really bad shin splints, bad enough that I had to walk home from half way round a 6 mile run. Something i've never had to do before. A quick chat with a physio and he recommended that I make sure there is no tightness at all in any part of my legs. So for the past 4 weeks i've been stretching for about 20 minutes every night and on Friday I managed to have my first pain-free run for about 5 weeks. I had considered pulling out of the marathon but have decided that i'm going to give it a go. I had originally aimed for 3:45 or under but now i'm optimistically aiming for under 4 hours and realistically just to finish it!

My race number is 3514

I'll look out for you on the day Mr King.

Sad to hear your problems - I can sympathise. I'm sure you'll do okay though. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a strong tail wind in the first 18 miles that dies down when we headback to Musselburgh. :D

All the best in the Edinburgh Marathon, something I hope to be joining you all in in the next year or two - get a few more 10Ks and Half Marathons under my belt first.

Good thread that I'd not looked at up until now! Have been concentrating on size and strength recently so not been running at all as all my goals have been in the weight room. Just started running again maybe 4 weeks ago and really enjoying it, but it's hard running in between days in the gym hitting heavy sets of squats and deadlifts.

I'm going to carry on though as long as I'm enjoying it and have one eye on the Glasgow half in September. Last year I ran a half marathon in 1:32:24 so sub 1:30 is the obvious goal. Would like to take in a 10k or two as well before then, and as my personal best (I've only ever ran 3) is 42:42 I'd like to get sub 40. Does anybody know of any good websites that would list events?

As for my standard at the moment I've just been building it up slowly, last run I did 4.8 miles in about 36 mins, but my quads and lower back were exhausted and I really felt like I was dragging myself round. Think I'll do that distance a few more times and try to get closer to 7 min mile pace then up the distance some more.

For those doing Edinburg next week, my number is 436.

Anyone else doing it, please post your numbers.

Thundermonkey - what number are you? What time are you aiming for now?

My number is 6986. Bright yellow running top so I can spot myself in the photos :lol:

I'm aiming for 4.26 so if I do bump into you it will probably be before the race, unless you are planning on hanging around at the finish for 90+ minutes.

My race number is 3514

I'm going out for my first run in over 9 days to see how my hip is bearing up, perhaps my 4.26 target will end up as a 'just finish the bastard!' target as well.

I'll keep an eye out for your numbers.

Decided I'm going to start going on a few runs, never done this before so was a bit weary about it today.

Starting off local (Broadwood Loch which is about 5 miles right around behind the woodland and round the loch finnishing with going round the stadium and up), did 3 'laps' in 1:22:42. No idea if this is good or not for a first try so please direct me there. It was just pretty much normal/slow jog. I'm only 15 so dont be too harsh please! I dont really know what the average time per mile for my age and as I say it's my first time. Just doing it to keep fit and to keep busy.

Decided I'm going to start going on a few runs, never done this before so was a bit weary about it today.

Starting off local (Broadwood Loch which is about 5 miles right around behind the woodland and round the loch finnishing with going round the stadium and up), did 3 'laps' in 1:22:42. No idea if this is good or not for a first try so please direct me there. It was just pretty much normal/slow jog. I'm only 15 so dont be too harsh please! I dont really know what the average time per mile for my age and as I say it's my first time. Just doing it to keep fit and to keep busy.

Is that 3 laps of 5 miles?

15 miles in 82 mins is pretty fantastic going. Works out at just under 5.50 minute miles by my quick reckoning :lol: That would work out at a 2hr 24min marathon.

I'm not knocking you though, either you should get your route measured or try out for the Olympics :P

Is that 3 laps of 5 miles?

15 miles in 82 mins is pretty fantastic going. Works out at just under 5.50 minute miles by my quick reckoning :lol: That would work out at a 2hr 24min marathon.

I'm not knocking you though, either you should get your route measured or try out for the Olympics :P

:lol: I'll try and get a defo length of the route, my dad says it's 5 miles so I just went with that. Deffo going to make this a regular fixture now.

Good thread that I'd not looked at up until now! Have been concentrating on size and strength recently so not been running at all as all my goals have been in the weight room. Just started running again maybe 4 weeks ago and really enjoying it, but it's hard running in between days in the gym hitting heavy sets of squats and deadlifts.

I'm going to carry on though as long as I'm enjoying it and have one eye on the Glasgow half in September. Last year I ran a half marathon in 1:32:24 so sub 1:30 is the obvious goal. Would like to take in a 10k or two as well before then, and as my personal best (I've only ever ran 3) is 42:42 I'd like to get sub 40. Does anybody know of any good websites that would list events?

As for my standard at the moment I've just been building it up slowly, last run I did 4.8 miles in about 36 mins, but my quads and lower back were exhausted and I really felt like I was dragging myself round. Think I'll do that distance a few more times and try to get closer to 7 min mile pace then up the distance some more.

http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/events/events-list

Hope this helps!

I have just started back after an 8 week layoff because of a lung infection. It is amazing how quickly you lose condition. I am trying to build up my speed and endurance back to a reasonable level but it is making hungry all the time.

:lol: I'll try and get a defo length of the route, my dad says it's 5 miles so I just went with that. Deffo going to make this a regular fixture now.

From what I have been able to establish (and not knowing the area) the distance around the loch is about 4 kms (about 2.5miles). Hope this helps

From what I have been able to establish (and not knowing the area) the distance around the loch is about 4 kms (about 2.5miles). Hope this helps

Your probably right - I did add a bit at the end (at the end of the loch it takes you into the sort of main road) I went under the Westfield tunnel, by the school and turned left at the triangle, up past the stadium and went right across the bridge and along there to the start again which add's about 0.5/1.0 mile tot he origional 2.5

Your probably right - I did add a bit at the end (at the end of the loch it takes you into the sort of main road) I went under the Westfield tunnel, by the school and turned left at the triangle, up past the stadium and went right across the bridge and along there to the start again which add's about 0.5/1.0 mile tot he origional 2.5

http://www.jogscotland-chryston.org.uk/rac...y-val-mcdonald/

This might give you a more definitive route/distance - I dont really know the area but as Thundermonkey says it good to get out and do something. It might be an idea to sign up for a race and give yourself something to train towards

Edited by diamonds2002

Regardless of the distance, the main thing is you were out for exercise. And 82 mins worth of exercise to boot.

Aye, think I'm going to try at least 2 hours tomorrow. No doubt I'll probably give up after 1:30:00 but you ever know. First time and feel quite good after it :)

http://www.jogscotland-chryston.org.uk/rac...y-val-mcdonald/

This might give you a more definitive route/distance - I dont really know the area but as Thundermonkey says it good to get out and do something. It might be an idea to sign up for a race and give yourself something to train towards

Cheers for that - not looking to get into serious, just for fitness :)

To measure your route use runningahead.com, its brilliant. You have to sign up but its free. You just plot your route out on a map or aerial photo and it gives you the distance. You can save your routes and record your times to monitor your progress, it will calculate your pace for you too.