P&b Running Club

7km in 36:12. I'm trying to break the 5 minute/km average for my runs but it isn't for happening.

Advice needed: What is more beneficial... a) Keeping the runs at 7km but trying to up the tempo. or b) Keeping the same pace but pushing myself to run that extra few km? For info, I'm not training for anything specific. I'm basically just trying to shed a few pounds and improve my overall fitness.

Edited by wee_bairn

7km in 36:12. I'm trying to break the 5 minute/km average for my runs but it isn't for happening.

Advice needed: What is more beneficial... a) Keeping the runs at 7km but trying to up the tempo. or b) Keeping the same pace but pushing myself to run that extra few km? For info, I'm not training for anything specific. I'm basically just trying to shed a few pounds and improve my overall fitness.

Generally best to mix it up. Try doing one 7km run, one interval training and one longer run a week. I hate interval training (especially hills, which was tonight's joy) but they really work in improving form and pace.

Generally best to mix it up. Try doing one 7km run, one interval training and one longer run a week. I hate interval training (especially hills, which was tonight's joy) but they really work in improving form and pace.

Cheers. I stay in the braes area in Falkirk which I feel is a chore. First half of the run downhill is a breeze; however the 2nd half is difficult on the way back. My runs never seem too balanced. I'll trying mixing it about next week investigating new routes on google map. I kinda wished I had entered the Grangemouth 10k.

Edited by wee_bairn

7.5 very hilly km in just under 40 minutes. I'm happy with that.

Done the same route in a little over 40 minutes last night. Changed my approach and tried to bomb the hills early on, but was blowing out my arse after 20 minutes and struggled home. Very surprised at the time, I thought I had taken 5 or 6 minutes more given how knackered I felt towards the end.

post-41375-13651669778192_thumb.jpg

10 miles Monday / Friday,

4 miles Tuesday / Thursday this week, having the weekend off for cup finals and stuff.

Doing a half marathon at the end of May, happy enough with my distances in training but need to speed up quite a bit to get sub two hour.

Any advice to improve pace?

Done the same route in a little over 40 minutes last night. Changed my approach and tried to bomb the hills early on, but was blowing out my arse after 20 minutes and struggled home. Very surprised at the time, I thought I had taken 5 or 6 minutes more given how knackered I felt towards the end.

Sticking with this route as I like the mix of terrain, and managed it in a relatively poor 42 minutes this afternoon. Had an absolute skinful last night, and a w**k about 15 minutes before I went running. I'm pretty sure that crafty one off the wrist was the reason I struggled.

Is there a site that lists races you can enter? I am looking for a 5km to go in for in Edinburgh.

Just sign up for parkrun.

It's weekly on Saturday mornings, there's one held in Edinburgh and its free.

18.6k in 1:40:00 today, Linlithgow to Winchburgh along the main road and back along the canal. Bit slower than last week's 1:30:00 17k, but getting towards HM distance. If absolutely forced, I could have done the additional 2.5k today.

Getting there.

18.6k in 1:40:00 today, Linlithgow to Winchburgh along the main road and back along the canal. Bit slower than last week's 1:30:00 17k, but getting towards HM distance. If absolutely forced, I could have done the additional 2.5k today.

Getting there.

That's good going DD. Have you entered a half, if so what one?

Yeah, the Edinburgh HM at the end of May.

That'll be a dawdle for you if you're already running 17 & 18k in training.

What time you aiming for?

I'm meant to be doing the Edinburgh marathon but my training isn't going too well due to a calf injury.

That'll be a dawdle for you if you're already running 17 & 18k in training.

What time you aiming for?

I'm meant to be doing the Edinburgh marathon but my training isn't going too well due to a calf injury.

I hope so! I did Glasgow last year, but my training didn't go well and I ended up walking some of it, came in at 2:05:something. Aiming for 1:50:00, which feels achievable given its a fast course.

Does sprinting then walking help? When I was running earlier and seen someone doing it so just wondered if it was good?

Also, I seen people racing in Perth a few Sundays ago and wondered if I could find it on a website?

Edit: Found the race. 100k and 50k, holy shit! http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php/31/03/2013/self_transcendence_open_100k__and__50k_races

Edited by DarkBlue62

I'd say it could help, DB. Interval training's really something I need to add to my running routine (if you could call it that). Some of the other posters will be more up on the benefits than me, but I intend to use it to help add a few more gears to go through on longer runs.

I'm not long back from the half-marathon in Berlin. It's utterly flat, was a sunny day, and a new PB of 1:34:53. Properly chuffed, but a bit tender today.

Considering signing up to a marathon, but you'll never get me near any of the ultras!