P&b Running Club

It's hard to say how often you should be drinking, and it will vary due to weather conditions, but it might be an idea to look at the Glasgow Half website and see how many water stations there are.

You could then use that as a rough guide to how often to drink on your training runs.

Map of route including Water Stations

In fact you should be trying to make your last few training runs as similar to race day as possible. Run some of them them at the same time of day, wear the kit & trainers you plan to wear etc.

The more you can replicate the race condition the less likely it will be that you have any nasty surprises.

Ps. I'm a bit of a novice. Other people will have more knowledge on staying hydrated.

Good luck, but based on your times for 10 miles, you'll be fine on the day as long as you don't go off too fast. What section you starting in?

Put in 1.30-1.45 but I am wary some of these guys will finish 10 mins ahead of me so just going to run at my normal pace. Been on a training plan for 12 weeks now so now have an idea of what kind of pace im running without looking at my watch. Did 10 miles on Monday night in the rain and a drink of water was the last thing on my mind so you are correct about the conditions playing a part

Put in 1.30-1.45 but I am wary some of these guys will finish 10 mins ahead of me so just going to run at my normal pace. Been on a training plan for 12 weeks now so now have an idea of what kind of pace im running without looking at my watch. Did 10 miles on Monday night in the rain and a drink of water was the last thing on my mind so you are correct about the conditions playing a part

I put in for that as well. I'm just going to set off at 1.39 pace and see how it goes.

I'll be taking at least a sip of water at each water station. I don't think you should wait until you're thirsty before taking in fluids. Hopefully it won't be too hot on the day.

Edited by Ziggy

Last Sunday I ran a PB of 12:48 for the 3000m Steeplechase. That's nearly 3 mins faster than my first 2 years ago. Got 80.2 for the 400m hurdles too. I've ran 20:22 for the 5k race a couple of weeks ago and 20:59 for the Park run last week.

Now that the track season is over with I don't know what to do with myself. Got a Pentalon (200, Javelin, long jump, discus, 800m) or a 1.8mile x-c race on Sept 8. Hoping for a place in the GNR on Sept 16th if someone drops out. Then it's on to the Cross Country Season on Sept 29th. Wonder if there'll be mud this year?

Training for the half marathon which will be my 1st and up to 10 miles in around 1:17. Went out today to try and run the half and died at 10 miles in the heat and had to stop before I collapsed. Should I be taking water with me on a run and if so how often should I be drinking it?

If you are running for any more than an hour you should probably take some water with you. I think 45 mins is the recommended time but I find that I am ok up to the hour mark.

When did you guys get your half marathon packs through? I havent recieved anything yet.

I've managed a 1:34 the last two years and was hoping to go under 1:30 this year but having my wee boy now means that my training has been disrupted and I have missed a number of the longer runs - i have been getting faster but my stamina has been suffering. I think I will probably make it round in the same time as the last 2 years.

Should I be taking water with me on a run and if so how often should I be drinking it?

You should when training but there are regular water stations on the day. As for frequency - only drink when you are thirsty. If after a few training runs you feel you need water at distances that differ from the water stations, take some with you.

My advice is to avoid sports drinks on route. It was pretty much the only stuff available to me during my last marathon and I was near spewing at the end.

You should when training but there are regular water stations on the day. As for frequency - only drink when you are thirsty. If after a few training runs you feel you need water at distances that differ from the water stations, take some with you.

My advice is to avoid sports drinks on route. It was pretty much the only stuff available to me during my last marathon and I was near spewing at the end.

I take a small bag of jelly babies on long runs and races.

Out for another 5k, 21c even though it was only 10am here at the time. Managed it in 25:53, which is a fair improvement. Think I might finally be getting used to the conditions over here.....

If you are running for any more than an hour you should probably take some water with you. I think 45 mins is the recommended time but I find that I am ok up to the hour mark.

When did you guys get your half marathon packs through? I havent recieved anything yet.

I've managed a 1:34 the last two years and was hoping to go under 1:30 this year but having my wee boy now means that my training has been disrupted and I have missed a number of the longer runs - i have been getting faster but my stamina has been suffering. I think I will probably make it round in the same time as the last 2 years.

Not got anything yet, but if I remember right from last year, it'll be another week or so yet.

11.33 miles this morning, though I hit a brick wall just after 10 miles. Everything else after that was a real struggle, which is a ballache as I was feeling really strong up until then.

Glasgow HM really seems to be looming large now!

Are you trying to increase your pace and distance at the same time? Maybe you should make your next long run a bit slower just to get the confidence that you have done 13 miles.

I did 11.5 miles around Whitelees Windfarm in 1hr 26min last night. I'm delighted with that as it's quite hilly and at points I was having to climb fences and walk across cattle grids.

I think I should go sub 1hr 40min at Glasgow as long as I avoid injury and it's not too hot on the day.

Out for another 5k, 21c even though it was only 10am here at the time. Managed it in 25:53, which is a fair improvement. Think I might finally be getting used to the conditions over here.....

Turns out I was wrong. 10:45am, 27c, 28:09 and now completely f**ked.

Can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced physio in Glasgow? I did my ankle ligaments a month ago and not seeing much improvement, want to get someone to look at it.

Whereabouts in Glasgow? I know Achilles Heel in the west end have a physio

11.33 miles this morning, though I hit a brick wall just after 10 miles. Everything else after that was a real struggle, which is a ballache as I was feeling really strong up until then.

Glasgow HM really seems to be looming large now!

Are you taking fluids with you or something to eat/sports drink?

Off on holiday to tenerife and packed my running shoes. Obsessed :)

I done the same when I went to Spain last year. Got up early a couple of days, before breakfast, and went for a run. I'm going to Jamaica for my Honeymoon in a few weeks and am thinking of taking them again might bump into Bolt or Blake!

This might be of interest for anyone that does the Parkrun regularly. It was posted up on the Strathclyde Parkrun Facebook page so is safe to buy from. Can get your barcode put on a wee bit of plastic to attach to your keys/trainers rather than having to keep it on a bit of paper.

http://www.littlehugs.co.uk/

Has anyone every done the Demon Run or something similar? Its a 5/10 mile cross country/assault course. One of my mates has signed up for it and was trying to get me to go along. The reviews of the London one didnt sound all that great and the Scottish one is at Strathyclyde Park which I'm usually at every Sat for the Parkrun anyway so dunno if it would be worth £26.

http://www.thedemonrun.co.uk/location-glasgow/