P&b Running Club

• 2 weeks later...

I usually do  little bit of running in the summer before the new football season just to tick over. Usually stick to around the 5k mark.

This year I'm really enjoying it. Keep trying to go a little further each time I'm out. Last night I ran probably the furthest I ever have. 9,34 miles in 88 minutes. I'm really pleased with that considering I've only been out 5 or 6 times.

Best thing about it was the 2870 calories burned, when I saw that I sent the missus straight to McDonalds for a fat burger.

8 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I usually do  little bit of running in the summer before the new football season just to tick over. Usually stick to around the 5k mark.

This year I'm really enjoying it. Keep trying to go a little further each time I'm out. Last night I ran probably the furthest I ever have. 9,34 miles in 88 minutes. I'm really pleased with that considering I've only been out 5 or 6 times.

Best thing about it was the 2870 calories burned, when I saw that I sent the missus straight to McDonalds for a fat burger.

Good effort on the running but I think the calories is miles out. I was going to post that a good rule of thumb is about 100 calories a mile  then I went running - according to Strava I burnt just over 1,700 calories for my 17 miles so I wasn't far out!

Not going to stop you having a burger though - rewarding myself with food is the main reason I run :)

Good effort on the running but I think the calories is miles out. I was going to post that a good rule of thumb is about 100 calories a mile  then I went running - according to Strava I burnt just over 1,700 calories for my 17 miles so I wasn't far out!
Not going to stop you having a burger though - rewarding myself with food is the main reason I run [emoji4]

To be fair I think strava calorie burn depends on what you enter as your own body weight.

I got into running by having a bet with my mate about 6 years ago that I could run 10k in under an hour ... this was after 20 years of not running at all. I managed it, although I couldn't walk for three days afterwards. It's definitely doable... how tall are you though? If you're 6ft then 13 stone is fine ... if you're 5 foot tall and 13 stone you might struggle a bit!

5 ft 7 - bandy legged short arse

To be fair I think strava calorie burn depends on what you enter as your own body weight.

Yeah, that’s right. Effort will be another factor as well. The higher the average heart rate the higher the calorie burn will be.

Edit - Can anybody recommend a decent (but cheap-ish) running hydration pack/vest? Preferably one with storage for bottles on the front rather than a camelbak type.

10 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

Yeah, that’s right. Effort will be another factor as well. The higher the average heart rate the higher the calorie burn will be.

Edit - Can anybody recommend a decent (but cheap-ish) running hydration pack/vest? Preferably one with storage for bottles on the front rather than a camelbak type.

Fair enough but still surprised someone is burning off the best part of 300 calories per mile, regardless of weight, height and heart rate.

Fair enough but still surprised someone is burning off the best part of 300 calories per mile, regardless of weight, height and heart rate.

Aye, does seem a bit excessive. I ran a low-ish tempo 7.5 miles on Wednesday which averaged out at 135 calories per mile. Ran a much quicker 3.5 miles this morning at an average of 165.

His heart must have been going like the clappers to get up to 300!

On 28/05/2019 at 14:16, Saigon Raider said:

Just noticed there is a Stonehaven half at the start of July. Will be back in Scotland on the 4th so will give that one a go.

Will be nice to run when it isn't 34C!

First 7 miles are all uphill, but if you get to the top of Swanley without burning out then coming back down is great fun. Still my fastest half mara course.

Have really struggled for the last two years, but now finally getting into shape. Pretty much sticking to 10k from now on to protect my left leg, disappointing in one sense but takes off pressure in another.

Not going to stop you having a burger though - rewarding myself with food is the main reason I run [emoji4]

I used my Fitbit to monitor it. 

9,32miles 2,870 calories, 88 minutes.

The Fitbit starts with 1714 calories burnt before you even take a step though, so I guess you can take that from the 2870 total to get an accurate figure of what I actually burnt during my run.

IMG_8031.jpg

The only reliable* way of measuring how many calories your body burns is by looking at the Metabolic Equivalent Threshold (MET) rate.

Running at an 8mph pace has a MET of 13.5.

A 160lb person running for 60 minutes would burn 1,029 calories, a 200lb person would burn 1,286.

You can find a list of activities and their METs here: clicky.

And a good calculator that helps you calculate the calories burned when you know the MET of an activity is here: clicky.

*When I say reliable, I mean 'reliable-ish'.

PS ignore everything Fitbits say about calories burned.

Edited by Gaz

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Right. Back on this thread for the shame points, having not run for weeks.

I promise to go out tonight, and if I don't you can all call me names, to my face.

Me too. Haven't run in a week and a half. It's 30c all day here so not a chance I can run in it. About the only time it's cool enough is at 4 in the morning and that aint happening. Back home tomorrow tho so back on it. And if I'm not you can also call me names. Like mathematics. 

Guest bernardblack

First 5k since the marathon tonight. Was still quite comfortable so good to see I’ve not pissed away all the good work!

Anyone ran the Aberdeen half marathon before? Signed up today

53 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Anyone ran the Aberdeen half marathon before? Signed up today

Yeah, done it both years. Not too bad a course, though the beach section can be a drag if the wind is up. Some sporadic pieces of incline in the last few miles, but nothing really to worry about (apart from the exit of Seaton Park, I'd give that one a walk....) 

I think I'm away that weekend, if not I might give the 10k a spin this time.

Edited by Scorge