P&b Running Club

6 minutes ago, WeveGotMcginn said:

10.3 miles done in 1 hour 31 last night training for the Edinburgh half next week. Fairly chuffed with myself considering I could barely run to the shops and back a couple months ago.

Really enjoying how motivating an upcoming run is to get me out jogging for an hour or so. Fingers crossed for beating that 2 hour mark

That's brilliant progress mate. I'd say if you're doing that on training runs you'll push past the 2 hour mark for the half marathon as you'll have that extra bit of energy.

10 hours ago, WeveGotMcginn said:

10.3 miles done in 1 hour 31 last night training for the Edinburgh half next week. Fairly chuffed with myself considering I could barely run to the shops and back a couple months ago.

Really enjoying how motivating an upcoming run is to get me out jogging for an hour or so. Fingers crossed for beating that 2 hour mark

That's a great effort, fingers crossed for you. Don't get too hung up on your time as whatever you do will be a PB.

Football season has just ended over here. Played 4 x 90 minutes in the past two weeks and was getting ready to seriously start increasing my running...then I get a shitty cold.

Do people keep going with their runs with a cold or just rest until it has gone?

Surprised to hear anybody thinks it isn't much of a difference going from 5:30 to 5 mins/km - for me, that would be a big difference - it has taken me 3 months to get my 8km time from 5min/km to 4:40 - and that time was a proper battle.

Best advice I've had about running with colds/unwell is anything above the neck and it'll improve if u run through it, below the neck and rest up.

I would agree 5.30-5.00 is not much of a jump with regular runs but sub 5 mins requires much more effort to shave a few seconds off.

In terms of improvement in pace, what really matters is your starting point.  If you've never run, then do 10k at 5.30 pace, getting to 5 min pace should be easy.  If you're already doing 3 or 4 decent runs per week, getting to 5 min pace is going to require a big increase in distance and quality, and may not be possible at all.

Can never get used to putting my running times into kilometres per hour even if  i'm  running a 10k or such. Miles per hour is king....maybe it's an age thing.

Running with a head cold is ok,in fact it gives the bunged up feeling a bit of respite.

19 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

If the weather is like this on marathon day I’m in trouble

Agreed. I've been running the last couple of days and had to give up after a couple of k in this heat. Good job I never signed up for the Marathon des Sables. 

On 30/04/2019 at 11:17, Cardinal Richelieu said:

After my partial success in Stirling at the weekend, I'm eager to try and get under 1hr 40m for a half marathon. The next likely candidate is Kirkcudbright at the end of May. Anyone got any experiences of it to share?

It kicks off at 11am on Saturday morning, so I'd have time to do the Dumfries parkrun beforehand. I appreciate this isn't ideal preparation to get a speedy half-marathon, but I'm always up for trying new parkruns. 

Have you decided to do Kirkcudbright? It's my next race a week on Saturday.

Did the Carlisle Urban Trail 10k last night and knocked 40 seconds off last year's time (partly because I bolted at the start to get away from the Tommy Robinson rally). Knocked about 30 seconds off my Hollywood Stroll 5 mile time the week before. I was told that seemingly you still feel the benefits of marathon training up to six weeks afterwards and those times would back that up - hopefully it keeps going to Kirkcudbright.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you decided to do Kirkcudbright? It's my next race a week on Saturday.

Did the Carlisle Urban Trail 10k last night and knocked 40 seconds off last year's time (partly because I bolted at the start to get away from the Tommy Robinson rally). Knocked about 30 seconds off my Hollywood Stroll 5 mile time the week before. I was told that seemingly you still feel the benefits of marathon training up to six weeks afterwards and those times would back that up - hopefully it keeps going to Kirkcudbright.

My friend was going to come with me, but she's still umming and ahhing (as am I as it's a bit of a trek to drive all the way down and back on your tod)... I noticed there were still quite a few places - so I'm dragging her out to a parkrun on Saturday and I'm going to put the persuadatron on her ... I'll let you know after that!

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

My friend was going to come with me, but she's still umming and ahhing (as am I as it's a bit of a trek to drive all the way down and back on your tod)... I noticed there were still quite a few places - so I'm dragging her out to a parkrun on Saturday and I'm going to put the persuadatron on her ... I'll let you know after that!

Wouldn't worry about places running out, don't think it ever has. Closing date for entries is Wednesday and you can enter on the day (although it costs more).

Good luck to folk doing Edinburgh at the weekend. Kirkcudbright half for me - my first half marathon since the same race last year. Thankfully, it looks as if it'll be a bit cooler than recent years.

Starting to feel like signing up to a marathon was a grave mistake.

When you’re finished it you’ll be euphoric. Don’t know if you’ve done them before but crossing the line is a great feeling.