P&b Running Club

I started this running caper in October on the couch to 5k programme in a bid to improve my shocking fitness.

Today I took part in a marathon relay where by 4 of us split the distance, I wennt 3rd and there were a good few short steep ascents over bridges and under passes but mostly it was flat, the weather started freezing then a bit windy by the time I started it was hot and muggy but I ran the lot 11.1k in 1 hour 6 minutes which I'm really pleased with as it was my first event and we did the whole thing between us in 4 hours 3 minutes.

Not in the league of some of the folk on here but it was a great experience and want to get some more events under my belt as well as medals.

20190506_172250.jpg

Guest bernardblack

19 miles in the bank today. Just about 3hrs.

Stopped for a juice at mile 16/17 and could not get going again at all.

On 05/05/2019 at 10:35, Dons_1988 said:

Did my 21 miles yesterday so tapering begins from here.

I was a bit slower than hoped (just over 3 hours) but I’ll be better on marathon day I reckon. Definitely had another 5 miles in me anyway.

3 weeks seems very close now.

Too late now but the advice I got was to go relatively slowly for long runs as the priority is the distance, not the pace. As someone who doesn't really watch their pace but just goes for a run I found it murder!

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

I started this running caper in October on the couch to 5k programme in a bid to improve my shocking fitness.

Today I took part in a marathon relay where by 4 of us split the distance, I wennt 3rd and there were a good few short steep ascents over bridges and under passes but mostly it was flat, the weather started freezing then a bit windy by the time I started it was hot and muggy but I ran the lot 11.1k in 1 hour 6 minutes which I'm really pleased with as it was my first event and we did the whole thing between us in 4 hours 3 minutes.

Not in the league of some of the folk on here but it was a great experience and want to get some more events under my belt as well as medals.

20190506_172250.jpg

Cracking effort - and a great medal!

First day back at work after London today. It was a Rangers fan's birthday so I told him, as a treat, I'd give him an experience no Rangers player will enjoy any time soon - then showed him my medal.

Cracking effort - and a great medal!
First day back at work after London today. It was a Rangers fan's birthday so I told him, as a treat, I'd give him an experience no Rangers player will enjoy any time soon - then showed him my medal.

I’d like to say my pace was all part of my training plan but in reality I was just breathing out my arse!

I’d like to say my pace was all part of my training plan but in reality I was just breathing out my arse!
Aye same with me. People were impressed with how consistent my splits were on London but I had to tell them it was pure luck!

Looking at upgrading my running watch, I have an old Garmin which was a hand me down it does the basics and is roughly right and never has any bother connecting. Looking at the Garmin vivoactive 3 has anyone had one or heard good/bad things bit unsure about a touchscreen when running .

13 hours ago, pub car king said:

Looking at upgrading my running watch, I have an old Garmin which was a hand me down it does the basics and is roughly right and never has any bother connecting. Looking at the Garmin vivoactive 3 has anyone had one or heard good/bad things bit unsure about a touchscreen when running .

I have an original vivoactive. When it eventually packs in I'll definitely be having whatever updated version is out at that point. Excellent watch.

Guest bernardblack

What’s any Edinburgh marathon runners doing this weekend?

Tapering starts but unsure how far my “long” run should be

Think 12 to 14 is the advice. If you Google marathon tapering then a Runners World article should come up that's quite handy.

Down in Surrey this weekend so took part in a parkrun today rather than volunteered. Nearly 750 folk! Knocked 15 seconds off my best, which is even better considering I ran there and back.

What’s any Edinburgh marathon runners doing this weekend?

Tapering starts but unsure how far my “long” run should be

I’ll be doing about 15 tomorrow I reckon but at an easy pace. Couple more short runs midweek then I think.

If anyone is after a Garmin, argos are doing the vivoactive 3 music for £150 at the minute. You have to buy it in sandstone beige colour however it is black watch with black strap and you get the sandstone as a spare strap 

Guest bernardblack

What's the best way of getting back into town following EDI marathon? Get booked on the bus? Or train from Musselburgh?

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

What's the best way of getting back into town following EDI marathon? Get booked on the bus? Or train from Musselburgh?

I haven't decided yet but bus seems best option. Think the train is a fair walk from the finish (bus stop is 15 minutes).

My mrs is going to be at finish line but seems like the parking restrictions are pretty draconian so she's going to have to get a bus too.

My last long run before the Edinburgh Half, eleven miles on Saturday night. Splits were:

1km 4:49
2km 4:45
3km 4:41
4km 4:36
5km 4:36
6km 4:37
7km 4:45
8km 4:49
9km 4:40
10km 4:40
11km 4:41
12km 4:47
13km 4:45
14km 4:52
15km 4:45
16km 4:53
17km 4:44
0.6km 2:49

With experience, training and weight loss, how much time can realistically be taken off your km split time? I generally run about a plodding 5,30. I am not fully into it yet so that can be considered a bit of a baseline but what is realistic? As in, how much fitter is 5 flat to 5,30 for example?

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

With experience, training and weight loss, how much time can realistically be taken off your km split time? I generally run about a plodding 5,30. I am not fully into it yet so that can be considered a bit of a baseline but what is realistic? As in, how much fitter is 5 flat to 5,30 for example?

5.30 to 5 isn't much of a difference. You could do that within a month of running. 5.30 to 4.30 would be a big difference.

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think it's harder to improve speed just by going out for regular runs. I've seen my pace increase quite a bit over the last 6 months but I think a lot of that has been gym work like weighted squats and generally working the legs and strengthening them in other ways than just jogging.

Or alternatively you can do one interval run a week where you're 1 minute fast pace, 1 minute light jog for say half an hour.

10.3 miles done in 1 hour 31 last night training for the Edinburgh half next week. Fairly chuffed with myself considering I could barely run to the shops and back a couple months ago.

Really enjoying how motivating an upcoming run is to get me out jogging for an hour or so. Fingers crossed for beating that 2 hour mark

10.3 miles done in 1 hour 31 last night training for the Edinburgh half next week. Fairly chuffed with myself considering I could barely run to the shops and back a couple months ago.
Really enjoying how motivating an upcoming run is to get me out jogging for an hour or so. Fingers crossed for beating that 2 hour mark

Good luck and I’m sure with that positive attitude you will beat the 2 hour mark