P&b Running Club

Not quite sure ... a week off sounds quite a lot but definitely a couple of days shouldn't do any harm. You might feel tired and distracted when you do your practice runs, but when it comes to the race proper, adrenalin and the shame of letting everyone down should see you do your bit no problem. 
Just remembered I bought someone's place for the Stirling half-marathon when I was steaming in the pub on Saturday (suppose it's better than buying drugs or exotic pets) ... distance-wise it shouldn't be a problem as it's not long since I did Inverness, but what's the course like? From what I can gather it's pretty flat ... anything I should watch out for?

I will be there too warming up for the marathon. I have never done a proper race in my life though so I can offer you zero insight.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I will be there too warming up for the marathon. I have never done a proper race in my life though so I can offer you zero insight.

Christ. Good luck! Think of me with my feet up enjoying a relaxing pint in front of a log fire somewhere around the same time as you hit "The Wall".    :P

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Christ. Good luck! Think of me with my feet up enjoying a relaxing pint in front of a log fire somewhere around the same time as you hit "The Wall".    :P

Apologies, I meant I am doing the half marathon in Stirling as a warm up for Edinburgh in May!

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

No apology required. Though 13.1 mile in April seems a bit of a long and early warm-up for a race in May!

It's more so that I've had a bit of race experience before I do the marathon. Keep getting warned that racing in a large group can test your discipline in terms of going at your own pace.

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's more so that I've had a bit of race experience before I do the marathon. Keep getting warned that racing in a large group can test your discipline in terms of going at your own pace.

I reckon it depends how much you train.

I ran loads on my own before entering anything and I find I'm pretty good at sticking to my plan on race day, I usually find a bit extra which is nice and on the occasion when walls are being hit the crowd keeps you going!

I was out on my feet at 8 miles in Glasgow half and managed to get round in exactly the time I'd trained for (1:49) which for me was as good as I could do!

41 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye :) ... well, obviously you need to not set off like the clappers ... it helps if you're starting with people of similar ability (which most larger races do anyway) and a watch / running app will tell you your pace and help you adjust accordingly. 

Had a wee flick through this thread and I'm mighty impressed as some of the distances that some are running and at the times they are getting. 

I'm new to this whole running lark (well I did some running in my youth circa 30+ years ago). Started at the Christmas/New Year holidays as part of an overall fitness/lifestyle change when the Glasgow Club gyms were closed. It was no small thing for me to go outdoors in a running top and shorts given the weight I was. By then I had already been working on a lifestyle change for a few months and was a few stone lighter than I had been but hey I was still heavy. 

I still am, as a look at a BMI chart confirms, but I'm getting close to having lost 7 stone in total. I can now manage 5k in my runs (managed a PB of 33:10 last night for my 5k) and did my first organised 5k in March at Glasgow Green. My target weight is in sight and my overall fitness and well being has improved significantly. 

Compared to others these are small distances and slow times but I'll not lie and say I don't get a wee feeling of pride at the thought that I can manage what distances and speed that I can now. 

Do I enjoy the running? It can be a chore at times and I try and not go out two days in a row as my knees hurt a little but I'm determined to keep at it. 

7 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Had a wee flick through this thread and I'm mighty impressed as some of the distances that some are running and at the times they are getting. 

I'm new to this whole running lark (well I did some running in my youth circa 30+ years ago). Started at the Christmas/New Year holidays as part of an overall fitness/lifestyle change when the Glasgow Club gyms were closed. It was no small thing for me to go outdoors in a running top and shorts given the weight I was. By then I had already been working on a lifestyle change for a few months and was a few stone lighter than I had been but hey I was still heavy. 

I still am, as a look at a BMI chart confirms, but I'm getting close to having lost 7 stone in total. I can now manage 5k in my runs (managed a PB of 33:10 last night for my 5k) and did my first organised 5k in March at Glasgow Green. My target weight is in sight and my overall fitness and well being has improved significantly. 

Compared to others these are small distances and slow times but I'll not lie and say I don't get a wee feeling of pride at the thought that I can manage what distances and speed that I can now. 

Do I enjoy the running? It can be a chore at times and I try and not go out two days in a row as my knees hurt a little but I'm determined to keep at it. 

Feel like you're doing yourself down there, sir. 7 stone is an incredible effort, really! That takes huge discipline and effort. Amazing stuff.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Feel like you're doing yourself down there, sir. 7 stone is an incredible effort, really! That takes huge discipline and effort. Amazing stuff.

Thanks. There's a flip side to it though. I can't believe I got to the size and weight I did. It's a bit embarrassing to think about. Still a bit to go but getting there. It all started with the SPFL Trust's Football Fans In Training programme which I can't begin to recommend highly enough. Gave me enough structure and motivation to make a difference. 

9 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Thanks. There's a flip side to it though. I can't believe I got to the size and weight I did. It's a bit embarrassing to think about. Still a bit to go but getting there. It all started with the SPFL Trust's Football Fans In Training programme which I can't begin to recommend highly enough. Gave me enough structure and motivation to make a difference. 

Don't waste time worrying about how you got that big.  I did too, it's pointless.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Don't waste time worrying about how you got that big.  I did too, it's pointless.

This. Just look forward, no point reflecting on that which you can't control.

If anything, compare yourself to how you were a week or even a month ago. Focus on recent progress and development. Which sounds like you've made plenty of already, keep going!

Also I joined the P&B running group on Strava. Get yourself on that and see what others are doing for encouragment,

Guest bernardblack

This is an issue for me. Get caught up in the atmosphere and set off at a stupid pace. It is a good laugh when you see your splits after the race though!

If you're worried about your pace, start further back in what should be a slower group. Always found that helped me as loads of people scoot off at the start and wilter off to some snail pace nonsense without a km or two.

Also it's nice overtaking people.

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Just remembered I bought someone's place for the Stirling half-marathon when I was steaming in the pub on Saturday (suppose it's better than buying drugs or exotic pets) ... distance-wise it shouldn't be a problem as it's not long since I did Inverness, but what's the course like? From what I can gather it's pretty flat ... anything I should watch out for?

I'm doing the Stirling half as well.  I haven't done it before, but a mate who has assures me it's very flat, apart from a slight climb towards the finish (just when you want a climb).  

After buying someone else's place, careful you don't win otherwise you won't get the prize money. 

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

I'm doing the Stirling half as well.  I haven't done it before, but a mate who has assures me it's very flat, apart from a slight climb towards the finish (just when you want a climb).  

After buying someone else's place, careful you don't win otherwise you won't get the prize money. 

Chortle. Will do Gnash :) .. likewise, I'll hold off on my world record attempt until I could do it under my own name. 

Right I've left it 4 days and went out last night, first 3 to 4 miles were a bit of a slog legs were tired and heavy but took it easy. After that it was like I'd hit turbo mode (wee knight rider reference there for the old c***s on here) I was fucking flying took over a minute off my previous mile times and did 10k close to PB as well with a bit left in the tank.

It's a funny thing this running I'm beginning to think it's all in the mind.

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Right I've left it 4 days and went out last night, first 3 to 4 miles were a bit of a slog legs were tired and heavy but took it easy. After that it was like I'd hit turbo mode (wee knight rider reference there for the old c***s on here) I was fucking flying took over a minute off my previous mile times and did 10k close to PB as well with a bit left in the tank.

It's a funny thing this running I'm beginning to think it's all in the mind.

Aye - it's all down to warming-up properly. Back in the days when I eschewed the idea of warming up (beyond a couple of desultory leg stretches) as I didn't want to waste any energy, I found that I had much more energy for the latter part of my run because in effect, the first half I did was the warm up. 

Now, I try to run moderately fast for at least 5 minutes before doing a run ... then while I'm getting my breath, I do the stretches etc. 

Mind you - I'm no Haile Gebreselassie, so I could just be talking shite. 

Said last week I felt I could beat 22 mins at Livi Parkrun if I started nearer the front and got off to a good start, and did just that. 21:49 this morning. 22nd out of 354 runners. Very happy with that and looking forward to my nine-miler tonight (at a much slower pace!).