P&b Running Club

On 4/1/2019 at 14:25, Bairnardo said:
On 4/1/2019 at 14:24, lichtie23 said:

I always run listening to podcasts so it speaks straight into my ears after every mile. Along the lines of
“2 miles done in 15 minutes, 2 seconds. Previous mile in 7 minutes 57 seconds”
You go into the settings just before you start recording a run and activate audio cues. Hope that helps

Spot on. Will try next time

I've got an app called runkeeper. It does a nice map of you route, gives all the split times etc but best thing is the "Madameoiselle" voice. You can set alerts at, for example, 20 minute interval. She'll notify you then say stuff like "Ooh la la, you are fast". Gives me a semi tbh.

I've ditched earphones for running now anyway. Find all the ambient noises quite hypnotic - breathing, footsteps, and just being more aware of what's going on around you. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

I've got an app called runkeeper. It does a nice map of you route, gives all the split times etc but best thing is the "Madameoiselle" voice. You can set alerts at, for example, 20 minute interval. She'll notify you then say stuff like "Ooh la la, you are fast". Gives me a semi tbh.

I've ditched earphones for running now anyway. Find all the ambient noises quite hypnotic - breathing, footsteps, and just being more aware of what's going on around you. 

The mademoiselle patter wore off after about 2 runs! Likewise the Drill Instructor ones ... now if you could get famous folk doing them - and to have a bit more variety - then I'd probably stick with them.

Tried hill training last night. Was supposed to do 30-45 seconds sprinting up a steep hall, then jogging back down ... you were supposed to do this 5 times in a row ... rest for a couple of minutes, then do it all again twice. 

I managed one set of 5 .. I was absolutely done in (and I'd only been exercising for 7.5 minutes, with only 3 minutes of that "intense") ... at that point, I could barely breathe and felt a bit sick, so said "f**k this" and went home and ate a huge packet of crisps. 

16 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Midget boxing is great sports entertainment.

Congrats

Bairnardo is being very understated here. He smashed his (taller - would you believe it!) opponent with the sort of savage right hand that wouldn’t look out of place on a Deontay Wilder KO showreel. I’m not going to be rude to the wee munchkin ever again. 

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The mademoiselle patter wore off after about 2 runs! Likewise the Drill Instructor ones ... now if you could get famous folk doing them - and to have a bit more variety - then I'd probably stick with them.

Tried hill training last night. Was supposed to do 30-45 seconds sprinting up a steep hall, then jogging back down ... you were supposed to do this 5 times in a row ... rest for a couple of minutes, then do it all again twice. 

I managed one set of 5 .. I was absolutely done in (and I'd only been exercising for 7.5 minutes, with only 3 minutes of that "intense") ... at that point, I could barely breathe and felt a bit sick, so said "f**k this" and went home and ate a huge packet of crisps. 

Hill training is brutal. For anyone who's done the Falkirk Parkrun, I used to do hill training up Heartbreak Hill. It was insane.

I went out for a run at lunch there, and for some reason Strava has registered it as me going canoeing :lol:

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Hill training is brutal. For anyone who's done the Falkirk Parkrun, I used to do hill training up Heartbreak Hill. It was insane.

I went out for a run at lunch there, and for some reason Strava has registered it as me going canoeing :lol:

Aye, I know the fella. The most brutal bit about that hill isn't even the steepness, but the fact that you get to the top of it, turn a wee corner, and bang, you've still got another bit to go. 

At least choosing a new sport means you got a new PB!

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Hill running is a fucking killer done it a couple of times and I wanted to die, told it's great for the fitness though 

Jim Jefferies always took Dunfermline players to beach at Gullane for pre season and made them run up an down the dunes. Looked brutal. Back to back relegation resulted. 

On 02/04/2019 at 20:43, Bairnardo said:

I won it m8. Thanks for asking 8)

On 03/04/2019 at 14:08, Shandon Par said:

Bairnardo is being very understated here. He smashed his (taller - would you believe it!) opponent with the sort of savage right hand that wouldn’t look out of place on a Deontay Wilder KO showreel. I’m not going to be rude to the wee munchkin ever again. 

If this isn't set up for the first charity P & B Boxing match then I don't know what is. Get it fucking done. I'll donate immediately.

Hi all, new to the thread but looking for advice/support during the next 8 months. Have started training for a marathon in Singapore in December. Completed about 6 half marathons over the past 15 years but never tried a full.

Following the Runkeeper app for a training plan and go up to 12km tomorrow morning, it can be tough when it is upwards of 35C here in Jakarta.

Did my last 8km in just under 40 minutes which I think is my fastest time. Can't believe how much easier it gets after just one month of training.

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

If this isn't set up for the first charity P & B Boxing match then I don't know what is. Get it fucking done. I'll donate immediately.

I need to see the fifer in action first before committing to this. Like Floyd Mayweather, I have an 0 to protect

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I need to see the fifer in action first before committing to this. Like Floyd Mayweather, I have an 0 to protect

A child knocked him out.

47 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

New to the thread. Have started training for a marathon in Singapore in December. Completed about 6 half marathons over the past 15 years but never tried a full.

Following the Runkeeper app for a training plan and go up to 12km tomorrow morning, it can be tough when it is upwards of 35C here in Jakarta.

Did my last 8km in just under 40 minutes which I think is my fastest time. Can't believe how much easier it gets after just one month of training.

Christ. Good luck with that. Only marathon I ever did was in marathon and I was too hot there (and i got sunburnt). I can't even go out for a walk when it's that temperature!

On 05/04/2019 at 09:54, Rugster said:

When you say charity, do you mean a collection tin for Bairnardo’s medical care?

Managed 21 miles this morning which is a big relief after a few weeks of struggling with fatigue.

Used energy gels for the first time, they definitely helped towards the end but... I’ve had 4 shits since I finished 2 hours ago...

Final long run done before tapering for London - 23 miles on a lovely morning.

Done 50+ miles the last few weeks so going to scale it back to 40 next week, 30 the week after then maybe about 15 the week of the race. No idea if it'll work!