P&b Running Club

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Beat my Parkrun PB yesterday ... by a whole second! 22:35 ... 

How realistic is it to get down below 20 minutes for a medium-height, medium-weight, middle-aged guy of medium fitness? 

Pretty unrealistic I'd say. I used to be super-fit and the closest I got was 21 minutes.

You'd need a lot of dedication and training to get under 20.

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Pretty unrealistic I'd say. I used to be super-fit and the closest I got was 21 minutes.

You'd need a lot of dedication and training to get under 20.

Cheers. Was planning on running up and down a hill a lot tomorrow, but the thought of it doing it even once makes me sad so your response clinches it!

Did another run today, taking me to over 60 miles for the week and more than 170 for March (would have been more but for the knee injury at the start of the month). Another week of proper runs before I start tapering. Only concern now is seemingly a general e-mail was sent to London entrants on Friday that I didn't get - hopefully my registration one turns up next week

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers. Was planning on running up and down a hill a lot tomorrow, but the thought of it doing it even once makes me sad so your response clinches it!

I was doing one or two hill sessions, one fartlek, one medium run, one HIIT session and one long run per week back in the day. It was brutal, not very enjoyable and not sustainable.

How do you lads monitor/adjust pace during a run? I am a rank amteur and have no idea how folk who are decent at it monitor it, if it all?

I use strava to track my runs but its not ideal to be looking at my phone. I tend to just try and go as fast as I can whilst thinking I can make the distance. Is it just as simple as that?

Guest bernardblack

Anyone run with compression shorts under their shorts?

Been training with tights but it’s getting a bit warmer now

46 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How do you lads monitor/adjust pace during a run? I am a rank amteur and have no idea how folk who are decent at it monitor it, if it all?

I use strava to track my runs but its not ideal to be looking at my phone. I tend to just try and go as fast as I can whilst thinking I can make the distance. Is it just as simple as that?

Garmin watch, fitbit, those kind of things.

I have a charge 3 but never wear it as I felt it to be shite for running but il have a look. Not sure If I need to be more analytical than just recording time and distance as I only really do like 3-4 milers the now but as I enjoy it more il maybe try to up it.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I have a charge 3 but never wear it as I felt it to be shite for running but il have a look. Not sure If I need to be more analytical than just recording time and distance as I only really do like 3-4 milers the now but as I enjoy it more il maybe try to up it.

I'm not a serious runner, so just have a fitbit surge. It gives me a buzz every kilometre which is handy for a quick check of the pace/time. Were I to completely lose my marbles and actually start doing anything more than 5/10Ks, then I'd probably invest in something better.

My Strava app updates me on my overall time and Mile splits after every mile
Maybe I need to look into the settings etc on there altho my phone is normally in my jacket pocket when running so I maybe would feel if it buzzed. Il do some digging

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

If you don't want to keep looking at your phone, then there are a couple of two options:

A running watch with standalone GPS, so that you don't need to take your phone out with you. You can get some that store music and stream it to Bluetooth headphones if you like listening to things when you're out.

A fitness device with tethered GPS, so that you need to take your phone out with you but the watch does all the recording and just relies on your phone to pinpoint your location.

Both options have positives and negatives. I just take my phone to be honest.

42 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Anyone run with compression shorts under their shorts?

Been training with tights but it’s getting a bit warmer now

Yes, me (usually). Keeps everything tucked in place!

Incidentally, are there any runners here who do heavy lifting?

I don't want to end up looking like a skinnyfat freak, so I've been attempting to continue lifting weights, but as my training ramps up I'm struggling to find the a) time and b) energy.

My squat / bench / deadlift have dropped from 102.5/55/112.5 (5x5, 5x5, 1x5) to 80/50/100 (3x5, 3x5, 1x5) and to be honest even those are getting to be a struggle.

Maybe I need to look into the settings etc on there altho my phone is normally in my jacket pocket when running so I maybe would feel if it buzzed. Il do some digging

I always run listening to podcasts so it speaks straight into my ears after every mile. Along the lines of
“2 miles done in 15 minutes, 2 seconds. Previous mile in 7 minutes 57 seconds”
You go into the settings just before you start recording a run and activate audio cues. Hope that helps

I always run listening to podcasts so it speaks straight into my ears after every mile. Along the lines of
“2 miles done in 15 minutes, 2 seconds. Previous mile in 7 minutes 57 seconds”
You go into the settings just before you start recording a run and activate audio cues. Hope that helps
Spot on. Will try next time