P&b Running Club

15 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Nice work Stella! Sounds like a nice run. 

I was at Pollok today. Managed to smash my Pollok PB which was pleasing. There were signs up asking for volunteers to help with a new Parkrun ... there was someone's email address to contact to see if anyone wanted to help but I didn't have my phone / pen etc. Does anyone know where this new parkrun is scheduled to be?

Seen a post on facebook about looking at southside locations.  I assume to relieve a bit of the pressure on Pollok.  Don't know if any decisions have been made.

There's been suggestion recently that they might be adding one at Helenburgh too.

Hit 19 miles today. Pace was better than my 20 two weeks ago but my legs were absolutely gone by the end (I’d intended to do 21 miles but was just walking by the end so finished it).

Not sure if it’s a concern or not. On one hand I’m getting stronger in terms of pace without it feeling like I’m over exerting but at the same time felt like a backward step in terms of distance.

My body has developed an annoying habit of giving me a new injury just as the previous one is clearing up. So now that my knee problem is almost gone, I have a tight calf. Nothing major but a bit annoying as I'd been going to use today as a trial run for London - getting up when I would on the day, eating the same for breakfast etc.

Went on the elliptical at the gym instead but kept thinking I was about to tear my calf so didn't do as much as I'd have liked.

1 hour ago, lau03143 said:

London Landmarks Half Marathon Completed today. 1hr 45mins39ea59d85c76f5ec3b32ee1958e81067.jpg4f32a768b7de4f9e393dba625ce1b08b.jpg

Great time, especially as I'd imagine it was pretty congested. What landmarks does it take in?

Did the fifteen miler via Possil again today. Colitis wasn't playing the game with me today unfortunately.

Just managed to make it to the bogs at The Stables in Kirky, didn't stay long enough though and ended up doing a Paula Radcliffe at the side of the path a mile later.

Arse is in tatters after having to wipe with dry leaves.

Another four miles tonight. Pace was 4:47/km, so got round in 30m 42s. Pretty happy with that, although I always seem to start off slow - my first km took me 4:59.

I'm struggling with the weights, though. I've been maintaining a fairly decent PPL split for the past few weeks, not really putting much weight on but focusing on maintaining, but it's getting too hard. Tried benching 57.5kg today and could barely manage one rep, and had to deload my deadlift by 10kg last week. Pretty gutted, but I think I've been fooling myself that I can continue to make progression on weights while running 30-40 miles a week.

I think I'm going to switch to some bodyweight fitness stuff for the next few weeks, there's a decent Recommended Routine on Reddit that I'll probably use. I don't want to lose much muscle mass which I know from previous experience can happen while training.

Guest bernardblack

Is anyone doing the Edinburgh marathon in May?

First time for me and noticed there are gels given it at various water stops, but would anyone recommend taking extra?

On 24/03/2019 at 12:17, Stu said:

My body has developed an annoying habit of giving me a new injury just as the previous one is clearing up. So now that my knee problem is almost gone, I have a tight calf. Nothing major but a bit annoying as I'd been going to use today as a trial run for London - getting up when I would on the day, eating the same for breakfast etc.

Went on the elliptical at the gym instead but kept thinking I was about to tear my calf so didn't do as much as I'd have liked.

Had a day off work today so used it for a trial. Seemed to go thing (apart from ditching my running bag thing as it was bouncing about all over the place) and managed 23 miles. Another one like that next weekend would be ideal, then I'll start tapering.

I had a rare morning off this morning from Dad Duties so took a drive up to Livingston for the Parkrun up there.

It was cancelled midway through as apparently an elderly gentleman collapsed and emergency services needed to attend.

Hope he's alright!

Eight miles lined up for later on this evening.

Did the fifteen miler via Possil again today. Colitis wasn't playing the game with me today unfortunately.
Just managed to make it to the bogs at The Stables in Kirky, didn't stay long enough though and ended up doing a Paula Radcliffe at the side of the path a mile later.
Arse is in tatters after having to wipe with dry leaves.
Happened to me recently - pure liquid explosion at the side of the road.
Oddly, after wiping up with a few frozen leaves, I felt quite heroic - like Bear Grylls after wrestling a wolf. Also, my arse felt like an empty house.

Beat my Parkrun PB yesterday ... by a whole second! 22:35 ... 
How realistic is it to get down below 20 minutes for a medium-height, medium-weight, middle-aged guy of medium fitness? 

Congratulations mate. Go try take another second off it next week

How realistic is it to get down below 20 minutes for a medium-height, medium-weight, middle-aged guy of medium fitness? 
Once you get sub 25, shaving even a few seconds off is a mission so gotta milk every new pb. How did you feel at the end of it? Absolutely burst or did you feel like you had a wee bit left in the tank?

6 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:
3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Once you get sub 25, shaving even a few seconds off is a mission so gotta milk every new pb. How did you feel at the end of it? Absolutely burst or did you feel like you had a wee bit left in the tank?

Er, like I'd just finished the Marathon des Sables tbh :) ... although I ran the last kilometre in 4m 16s, which  explains why I felt like a burst couch after. No way I could have done that pace for 5km, and even if I could, I'd still be well over a minute over my target. I think I have my answer :)