P&b Running Club

Inverness Half today. Changeable weather but mainly pretty good. The rain meant the 5k route had to changed at the River Ness had hidden part of their route; the half was unaffected.

I am thr proud owner of a sub-90 half time. Snuck in at 1:29:50 to knock 4.40 off my PB. Happy's understating it!

How did you get on, Socks?

Great stuff morrison - that's fantastic to knock as much as that off your PB - well done.

I'm well pleased with my result as well - was hoping to get under 90 mins for the first time, and like you I managed it. I didn't take off quite as much as you did, but got it down by a bit more than 2 and a half mins, finishing in 1:28:56. Genuinely delighted with that. Also, Stellaboz, the other Pars fan who posts on this thread occasionally, got below 2 hours for the first time, so all in all a pretty decent race for folk on here!

Weather wasn't too bad, but the wind as you came over the bridge and doubled back towards the park around 11.5 miles was quite tough, even though it wasn't as strong as on recent weekends. I was quite lucky in picking the right guy to hang onto, and managed to stay just behind him from about 4 miles right up to that turn over the bridge, where I died a bit and he got away. I just didn't have anything left and that last section into the wind was quite hard - just a little bit fitter and not having to slow at the end, I think I'd have been another 30 seconds or so quicker. Can't complain though.

In the end I think we were quite lucky it went ahead, as the river level wasn't too far away from completely spilling over and flooding all the roads at the start/finish. I've wlked along by the river there many times and never seen it so high, with the islands completely submerged. In the end, very glad it did go ahead!

Guest honestrae95

Did my first ever tuned 10k around Glasgow Green on Sunday and recorded 46:50. I was already in pieces from refereeing a game the day before, so I was relatively pleased with that.

Cheers guys. And great stuff, Socks! Well done to Stellaboz, too. Yeah the water level was a bit mad; it was high on the Saturday morning with the islands already submerged, but managed to climb more still to the point where the path on the lower level next to the start line was under too. Didn't expect it to be quite as undulating as it was so was grateful for the rather lengthy downhill section before the loop closed off. The momentum boost was very welcome!

Haven't been out running since November or so, hoping the time off has cured whatever was causing the pain I was getting in my hip. Been doing a bit of cycling since then to keep the fitness levels ticking over. Will buy some new trainers when I get paid and then see how I get on this year. No races planned yet, but might target the Luzern HM which was my plan last year, though injuries meant I couldn't.

Great job at Inverness folks!

I was more mixed at the Meadows Half - hit my target of a 1:38, but I had went out far too fast (passed 10k at 44 mins) which when combined with the cobbles at the end of each lap, that I had only done half of my usual training and it being a bit warmer than the last few weeks (check out all the excuses...) meant that I started to really cramp up at 10 miles and felt like I was no more than shuffling the last lap (lost about a minute a km)

Lesson learned!

I think I probably already know the answer to this, but is (just over) 3 months sufficient time for a relatively fit person (who goes on fairly frequent runs) to complete a marathon and not find it an utterly miserable experience? I signed up to do the Edinburgh marathon and started training properly a few weeks back but everyone I speak to says you need at least 6 months to prepare. Are they right and am I a numpty?

Edited by Jesus Tejero

From what I'm led to believe, 16 weeks is enough for most people and 12 will do it for someone starting from a reasonable base. It would just be a case of finding a pace that's comfortable which will probably be slower than you think!

I'd go along with that. 18 weeks is fairly typical for marathon plans (not quite the six months you've been told!) but twelve is doable. What's your running background like? Like true_rover said, you'll almost definitely need to be pretty reserved on race day compared to what you're used to. It's quite a long way...

Cheers Morrison. I thought I had done it in 1.52 going by my stopwatch but still delighted. Like Socks, I found it tough coming down the other side of the bridge, if I'd trained more i could have kept pace and shaved off a few minutes.

Never seen the river that high too. I was wondering around the islands last year before the race but you couldn't even make out where they were if you didn't know where to look.

Attempted a run there, lasted 5 minutes before I had to chuck it. Not even slightly out of breath but lower legs were in agony. I think it's my trainers that are the problem. Can anyone recommend a good pair of trainers? Can I even get them professionally fitted? I do run like Chris Templeman a bit which won't help.

Not fussed about the cost if it's a good investment.

Attempted a run there, lasted 5 minutes before I had to chuck it. Not even slightly out of breath but lower legs were in agony. I think it's my trainers that are the problem. Can anyone recommend a good pair of trainers? Can I even get them professionally fitted? I do run like Chris Templeman a bit which won't help.

Not fussed about the cost if it's a good investment.

Don't go to sports direct or any shite like that. Go to a run 4 it or similar, they will get you on a treadmill and properly analyse your running style, and make sure your all in alignment. Will cost you £80+ but well worth it.

Once you find a shoe that you know is good for you then I'd say it's fine to get the same thing online or wherever, but to make sure you get the right thing, definitely worth going to a proper running shop even though it will cost a bit more. It does make a big difference, and often people find once they get the right shoes to fit their feet and running style that the niggles stop. Certainly was the case for me.

Pretty tough going for me this week, mainly due to the soreness after last week's half. I had a quick look at the results of the Alloa half today, and see that the men's winner also won in Inverness last week and the women's winner was second in Inverness. That seems mental and their fitness must be ridiculously good - absolutely no chance I'd have been ready to run that distance hard again so soon.

I seem to have been particularly slow every time I've been out this week, epecially with the faster runs. Pretty much expected on Tuesday as legs were still a bit sore, but my Thursday quick run was quite a bit slower than normal even though it felt pretty quick. Today's long run was at steady 8 minute/mile pace which is fine, but it felt about right rather than unnaturally slow which it usually does when I go out at that speed. After previous half marathons I've pretty much stopped hard training, so it's new to me to carry on like this. Anyone else found speedwork suffer a bit after that sort of race?

Pretty tough going for me this week, mainly due to the soreness after last week's half. I had a quick look at the results of the Alloa half today, and see that the men's winner also won in Inverness last week and the women's winner was second in Inverness. That seems mental and their fitness must be ridiculously good - absolutely no chance I'd have been ready to run that distance hard again so soon.

I seem to have been particularly slow every time I've been out this week, epecially with the faster runs. Pretty much expected on Tuesday as legs were still a bit sore, but my Thursday quick run was quite a bit slower than normal even though it felt pretty quick. Today's long run was at steady 8 minute/mile pace which is fine, but it felt about right rather than unnaturally slow which it usually does when I go out at that speed. After previous half marathons I've pretty much stopped hard training, so it's new to me to carry on like this. Anyone else found speedwork suffer a bit after that sort of race?

Yeah I found it took a few months after the GSR HM this year to get my 5k/10k pace back.

mixed emotions for me this week at the parkrun , almost certain I ran a pb and possibly under my target time of sub 24 mins , trouble is there has been a glitch somewhere and all the times got messed up so about 30 people were given the time of 24.45 ,me being one of them. :(

will be bringing the phone in future.

On a brighter note I have been chosen by our local parkrun commttee for the monthly prize of a brand new pair of trainers at sweatshop,thanks to me being there every week almost and volunteering a lot. Free running shoes...result! :thumsup2