P&b Running Club

Sorry to hear that, true_rover. I've been quite lucky with the ballots - got into Berlin and GNR this year at first time of asking. I'll look at sorting out somewhere to stay at the weekend; can imagine places getting snapped up pretty quickly over the new few days.

I got out for an 8 mile tempo run tonight; made it round without falling apart so I'm happy enough with that. 20 miles on the cards for Sunday next, which I'm naturally really looking forward to it... :blink:

I did a tempo run of about 8 miles tonight as well. I quite enjoyed it which is odd as these are usually a bit of a struggle, but maybe it's just that my fitness is getting a bit better. Also a perfect night for it, not being that cold and hardly any wind. I absolutely hate doing those runs in high winds.

This is the week that will tell me if I'll manage my marathon or not. 16 miles planned for Sunday which is further than I've ever run before, so if I manage that and the other fairly tough one I have planned on Saturday, and don't end up with a cold or injury afterwards, I'll be pretty confident of making it.

Sorry to hear that, true_rover. I've been quite lucky with the ballots - got into Berlin and GNR this year at first time of asking. I'll look at sorting out somewhere to stay at the weekend; can imagine places getting snapped up pretty quickly over the new few days.

I got out for an 8 mile tempo run tonight; made it round without falling apart so I'm happy enough with that. 20 miles on the cards for Sunday next, which I'm naturally really looking forward to it... :blink:

No worries, such is life. Just need to make a new plan for the year - probably looking at Dundee and Glasgow for half marathons.

Parkrun again for me yesterday, back to 20:34 so still a little off last year's sub 20 times but it's steady improvement for the year.

Gutted though, I didn't realise that yesterday was the first Kirkcaldy parkrun - was away home for the football anyway so could have taken it in.

A great turnout for it too, 264. That's more than Inverness has ever had in one week, even over Loch Ness marathon weekend. Good running, though.

I didn't go yesterday, too busy being hungover. I did make it out for 20 miles today, and I just about stuck to the fast end of my LSR pace. Knees are a bit dodgy so we'll see how the next couple of days feel.

I'm planning one of the Glasgow Parkruns next weekend as I'm through for the Thistle-County game; can anyone recommend which one I should take in? I've got it down to between Pollock, Victoria and Tollcross.

Chortle Wee Bully :)

Crossed another Parkrun off my list on Saturday (7 different ones in the bag now)... Edinburgh... flat there-and-back course along by the Firth. Could see it being a nice run on a fine day, but this wasn't one of them. Absolutely mobbed as well... Edinburgh could well do with another parkrun in a more accessible area of Edinburgh... after all, Glasgow now has 4 to choose from, situated very neatly in the north, south, west and east of the city.

I see what you did there, Wee Bully :P

I'll make up my mind nearer the time, but it's now between Tollcross and Victoria. Pollok looks pretty busy.

Cardinal, Edinburgh can be great when the weather's right, but any wind make it feel quite tough - normally on the way back! There should be a second Parkrun up in a few months, the Council have already approved funding. Kirkcaldy starting up will probably take some numbers away too.

Depends what you want mate. Victoria is a flat, pb style course. Tollcross is the exact opposite - a undulating, tough course with 10 uphills (including 5 difficult ones) over 5km.

If you want a time then go to Victoria. If you want a workout then go to Tollcross.

I am facing the same choice for Saturday and am leaning towards Tollcross for now.

I hadn't noticed there was a Kirkcaldy parkrun starting this week - will probaby give that a go at some point. Bob, a guy I used to play badminton with a couple of years ago, has been trying to get this going for a while so good to see it's actually happened. I see him on the volunteers list so assume it was him who eventually got it going.

Another abysmal failure at pacing for me yesterday. 16 miles in bang on two hours and it didnt really feel fast - that's the furthest I've ever ran and the last 3 miles felt pretty tough. I'm wondering if I'm maybe just getting fitter and able to cope with longer distances a bit quicker, but realistically it's probably just poor pacing again.

What do the rest of you think about doing a local 5 mile race in the taper period for a marathon? There's one nearby (Kinghorn Black Rock 5) that I've never managed to enter for various reasons and was really hoping to have a go at this year, but if falls 16 days before the Edinburgh marathon. Worth a go, or just daft to do it as close as that?

Edited by Socks

I don't see anything wrong with doing the Black Rock, would still be plenty of time to recover. You would just have to make sure that you don't burst yourself - it's far from easy with about 3 miles on sand and the hill at the end is a killer!

On the plus side, you get a beer at the end (at least you used to)!

Thanks folks. Good point about running on sand, and it's relevant as I never normally run on the beach. As far as I'm aware, you do still get beer at the finish!

In other running news, tonight my record for the number of 'run Forest, run' shouts in a week was smashed, going from two to four...

Booked the Jurys Inn Gateshead - pricey but the missus is coming with me so I couldnt go for the basic.

ETA - apparently getting back into Newcastle afterwards is a nightmare

Can be but not if you don't use South shields metro and take a service bus from near Chicester (sp?) metro, bus 27.

Edited by marty_j

I see what you did there, Wee Bully :P

I'll make up my mind nearer the time, but it's now between Tollcross and Victoria. Pollok looks pretty busy.

Cardinal, Edinburgh can be great when the weather's right, but any wind make it feel quite tough - normally on the way back! There should be a second Parkrun up in a few months, the Council have already approved funding. Kirkcaldy starting up will probably take some numbers away too.

I DEMAND you go to Tollcross ;) We're just so damn sexy there.

BTW, where's the second one in Edinburgh. I know about Elgin and Portree but not a 2nd Edinburgh one.

Edited by Garrowhillclyde

Thanks folks. Good point about running on sand, and it's relevant as I never normally run on the beach. As far as I'm aware, you do still get beer at the finish!

In other running news, tonight my record for the number of 'run Forest, run' shouts in a week was smashed, going from two to four...

Combining running and Movember is always a good one. Many neds and their hilarious nasal whines of '118' as you breeze by them hanging around outside fast food joints.

BTW, where's the second one in Edinburgh. I know about Elgin and Portree but not a 2nd Edinburgh one.

Portree? On Skye? I know there was a Portobello one mentioned, which I guess is the 2nd Edinburgh one.

I'm coming to Tollcross Saturday next week. After about a year of pestering, I've finally persuaded my boss to come along and I've got my heart, body and soul set on beating him.

I know technically it's a parkrun, but for that Saturday, it will most definitely be a parkrace!