P&b Running Club

Victoria Parkrun for me this morning. Got round in 18 mins 14 secs. Would have been delighted with that last week, but in light of my sub 18 min run last week I am a tad disappointed. The difference was jogging to the train station and then from Patrick to Victoria Park I think.

That's a good question, Munter. More of the same?

Great Edinburgh Run behind me in 69:40, just under 7 minute mile pace and mainly thanks to a very kind last mile. That was the goal so I'm very happy with it.

27km this evening. I am total broken. How do people run marathons?!?

In my case the answer is "badly".

I've ran 3 now and every time I was broken before I even made it to the start line. I don't think I'm ever going to get good at them just because I can't seem to cope with months of running high mileage and I think that's the key to running marathons well, lot's and lot's of miles (with most of them done at a fairly easy pace).

Sorry if you've already mentioned this but what marathon are you training for? What time you aiming for?

Great Edinburgh Run this weekend, looking forward to what might be a hard 10 miles. The target is 1 hr 15 but would be happy with anything under 1:20

Count me as delighted - managed to start off at a quick but fairly comfortable pace and just kept on going all the way to the end and finished in 70:49!

:D :D

Sorry if you've already mentioned this but what marathon are you training for? What time you aiming for?

Loch Ness in September. It is my first. I'm aiming for a sub 4 hour run.

Was quite confident until that long run on saturday. Not so sure now. A few folk have said once you run over 2 hours it's a new level of challenge. Certainly am going to have to get my distances up quite a bit in the next few months. Trouble is I was hoping that I'd be losing some of the extra weight by now but it isnt going anywhere. The more I run the more I'm drawn to eating bad carbs to replace the calories. What I need are some filling snack options that dont take ages to prepare, or cost the earth but which fill me without adding loads of nasty carbs.

Just short of 10km on Saturday morning, took around 57 minutes. It was absolute hell.

This stuff tastes fantastic on a Friday night, but feels horrendous as you sweat it out you up the hills.

Tennents-WOA-11-2-oz-front-2013-1107-e13

Well, decided to test the legs tonight and I'm glad I did - 4.1 miles without any trouble. Phew. Seems rest was the best cure. Felt so good when I got home that I did some weights too. Excellent.

Loch Ness in September. It is my first. I'm aiming for a sub 4 hour run.

Was quite confident until that long run on saturday. Not so sure now. A few folk have said once you run over 2 hours it's a new level of challenge. Certainly am going to have to get my distances up quite a bit in the next few months. Trouble is I was hoping that I'd be losing some of the extra weight by now but it isnt going anywhere. The more I run the more I'm drawn to eating bad carbs to replace the calories. What I need are some filling snack options that dont take ages to prepare, or cost the earth but which fill me without adding loads of nasty carbs.

I think you're well ahead of schedule if the marathon isn't until Setember. Are you going to follow a training schedule or are you just making it up yourself?

How long did you your 27km take?

Another good 6mile run last night with the workout on the outdoor gym at Wester Hales.............but combined with the dieting I'm sometimes feeling depleted of energy to point where you feel sick!

Any sensible tips bearing in mind I'm trying to cut down on my calorific intake?

I think you're well ahead of schedule if the marathon isn't until Setember. Are you going to follow a training schedule or are you just making it up yourself?

How long did you your 27km take?

Yeah I'm ahead of the basic training schedules you get online, but the past has shown other things pop up and sticking to them is almost impossible. So in the run up to the full marathon I'm doing half marathons as part of my plan (Angus, Edinburgh and Dundee) before the full marathon. I signed up to RunKeeper Elite yesterday and noticed that had plans so might try and keep to one of those. Seems you either run almost everyday and do shorter runs, or run less (3 or 4 times a week) and have a couple of long runs. I've been doing more of the later.

27kms took about 2 hours 40mins but I was very jaded and had to stop for a dump in Carnoustie (nice of them to have place toilet facilities at the side of the golf course!) so probably running that at around 2.30mins. Assuming I could keep going at that pace for another hour and a half I'm pretty much at the right pace to just shade under the 4 hour target. Not sure I've got the stamina TBH.

What I find hard is figuring out whether to run longer, or run faster and more often. I'm thinking the answer is probably a mix of the two!