P&b Running Club

I'm at the stage where I'm fed up of the whole thing and am wondering why I was ever stupid enough to enter another marathon.

I tried to run last night and had to stop after a few hundred meters as my entire right leg and hip feels broken. I'm planning on doing no running between now and next Sunday and just hoping that a mixture of painkillers, fear and adrenaline means I'm able to run on the day.

There is a fair chance that it will turn out to be the longest walk of my life.

Apart from that it's all going well.

I'm at the stage where I'm fed up of the whole thing and am wondering why I was ever stupid enough to enter another marathon.

I tried to run last night and had to stop after a few hundred meters as my entire right leg and hip feels broken. I'm planning on doing no running between now and next Sunday and just hoping that a mixture of painkillers, fear and adrenaline means I'm able to run on the day.

There is a fair chance that it will turn out to be the longest walk of my life.

Apart from that it's all going well.

Hope you recover enough to make a decent fist of the marathon. Nothing is more frustrating than training hard for a race and injury spoiling it.

does anyone have a sports drink they would recommend? i don't usually drink anything apart from water before a run as I 've always just believed that to be the best thing (although most people say it's me being a tight jock ;) ) .Has anyone had good results with them or is it just a marketing thing?

does anyone have a sports drink they would recommend? i don't usually drink anything apart from water before a run as I 've always just believed that to be the best thing (although most people say it's me being a tight jock ;) ) .Has anyone had good results with them or is it just a marketing thing?

It is just a marketing thing imo. You don't need anything but water unless you are doing over 10k. Even then it is best to restrict that to a minimal amount.

New course pb at Pollok Park for me this morning. 18 mins 30 secs - so a new pb by 8 seconds. Well pleased with that!

did 10 x 200m all between 34-37 secs. a few Tuesday

Did nothing last Thursday. Did Parkrun last Saturday - 19:54.

Did nothing this Tuesday. Did Hurdle Technique training on thursday.

Did the parkrun today - 19:30!!!!!!! PB of 20 secs! Although I think they got it wrong as I timed it at 19:42... still a PB.

I decked it last night, has anyone else lost balance or just generally made a right arse of yerself? Was running through a wooded area and just slipped, wasnt injured just a few bruises :(

Tripped once on a X-C race on a clump of grass and went face first. Slipped on a boulder in another X-C race and felt like it put my hip out.

I drink diluted orange juice. I don't drink sports drinks. Saying that... i just got 24 Powerades for nothing and drank them. Mainly so I can use the empty bottles for drinking.

20:51 at Edinburgh parkrun for me this morning, 2 seconds outside my PB. It was great conditions and I would have made a PB comfortably had I taken the bus to the course rather than running the 3 and a bit miles down to it! (Ran back too!)

Hope you recover enough to make a decent fist of the marathon. Nothing is more frustrating than training hard for a race and injury spoiling it.

Thanks, yeah it's a bit annoying. I've been training for it all this year and I'd be gutted to miss it.

Kenzie are you still doing Lochaber tomorrow? If so then I hope it all goes to plan!!

5k this morning. Think I'm at stage that I need to go to do something else to increase fitness. Also need to go out bit more regularly.

The most important thing to work on is your core. That means situps, leg elevations, bicycles and planks unfortunately.

10k in the rain this morning. Got round in 39 mins 26 secs. Getting ready for my first Polaroid series!

I signed up for those as well but I've no idea what kind of shape I'll be in for them.

Finished the Titanic 10k in 51.49 so happy enough with that, really good turnout , fairly flat course which took us round the old shipyards and took in some of the new Titanic quarter in Belfast . Next one will be the Ards half marathon in late June.

The most important thing to work on is your core. That means situps, leg elevations, bicycles and planks unfortunately.

Yes, so much this. I started doing a circuits class once a week and it's made a hell of a difference.

Or it would if I were getting out regularly to run. Lighter nights should help as I'll get out once the kids are in bed. Good getting back to running club though, even for just one of the sessions per week. :)

Yes, so much this. I started doing a circuits class once a week and it's made a hell of a difference.

Or it would if I were getting out regularly to run. Lighter nights should help as I'll get out once the kids are in bed. Good getting back to running club though, even for just one of the sessions per week. :)

Indeed. I started to work on my core after I blew up at 10 miles on my one (and only to date) Half Marathon in 2011. It makes a massive difference and is a large part of the reason why my 5k times have improved by over 2 minutes and my 10k times by over 4 minutes since then. Also you get awesome abs into the bargain lol. Although the actual exercises totally suck! Edited by BishyTON