P&b Running Club

Just had a quick look at the site and noticed this quote.

Some Celts might not be too happy there...

On a serious note, looking at the area you'll be running in I am extremely jealous. The Bernese oberland is in my opinion the most beautiful place on the planet. If you have the time, take the Brienzer Rothorn to the top of the mountain there, the views are something else. Interlaken I'm not a fan of, too touristy, but Thun isn't too far and is pretty nice. My mate is in the process of opening his second pub there actually.

Also, the women.

Edited to add: That last 8km looks an absolute fucking killer.

Yip, it does! Cheers for the pointers - definitely plan to take in some sights when I'm there. We'll probably be driving so I'll definitely check out your mate's pub in Thun! (probably wise to leave it till after the event).

Yip, it does! Cheers for the pointers - definitely plan to take in some sights when I'm there. We'll probably be driving so I'll definitely check out your mate's pub in Thun! (probably wise to leave it till after the event).

Definitely wise!

If you're driving you'll find it pretty easy to take a lot in. The likes of Meringen and Mürren are difficult to get to but worth the effort if you're into sightseeing. A wee dip in the lake at Brienz is also a must, just for the shock factor. The water is much much colder than you expect.

First and foremost with a groin pull - rest for a couple of weeks. Take it from someone who has had a recurring groin problem that failing to do so is a BIG mistake. Ice it regularly as well and use the techniques shown here once the pain has gone away for a couple of weeks before running again.

Victoria Parkrun again yesterday after another week of just gym work. Did it in 18 mins 34 secs which was not too bad given the windy conditions. Did another wee 5km run this morning around my area. Quite a hilly course and did it in 19 mins 51 secs. Glad to be back running again and am going to start building the distance up over the next few weekends.

Thanks for this. I went to run 4 it today and they suggested icing it and muscle rub, but it was a tenner? Thoughts on that?

They also suggested getting some "compression shorts" which would hopefully reduce how much I get hurt, but they were like £55. Anyone used these before?

http://www.run4it.com/shop/clothing/skins/compression-short-a400-ss2014/

Thanks for this. I went to run 4 it today and they suggested icing it and muscle rub, but it was a tenner? Thoughts on that?

They also suggested getting some "compression shorts" which would hopefully reduce how much I get hurt, but they were like £55. Anyone used these before?

Found compression shorts led to a lot of irritation so binned them in the end. Might work for you though. I got Nike Combat ones from Sports Direct for around £20.

No thoughts on muscle rub as I have not used it.

Aye they're at it!

I got a pair of sondico compression shorts in sports direct for £10 last week.

And the gel..

post-41375-13933589047124_thumb.jpg

For much cheapness, have a look at the sub sports range on amazon. I have 2 of their tops and a pair of leggings, they are all top notch.

Edit: daft auto correct

Edited by die hard doonhamer

What app is best to use to see how far you have ran?

I use Runkeeper. You do notice inaccuracies (i.e. it will sometimes tell you've cut corners and so on but I think that's more to do with the vagaries of GPS). But Runkeeper keeps varying stats about splits and heights climbs, and also lets you make friends with other people who have the app to instill an air of competition. There's also Mapmyride, but I've not used that one.

Googlemaps has a useful feature that lets you monitor distances by clicking round a map which is useful for planning runs in advance (or after). No idea how to activate it in the latest version of Googlemaps, but there is an option to revert to the old style (for now).

got the routine well in place now long run 12+ miles on the Sunday or Monday , a 5 mile leisurely jog the next day and 3 10ks through the week , going to increase the long run by a mile a week through March and then hopefully be able to hit 20 miles by the late April , then the marathon on May day.

All I have to watch out for is the big toe on my left foot swells up like a b*****d, an old fitba injury playing up basically ,need to get the wifes foot spa down from the attic perhaps. ;)

Not really been out much in the last few weeks but went to the gym this morning then decided that I'd run home.

7km in 37mins. Reasonably pleased with that given there was a few steep climbs in it and I was fairly tired from the gym.

Need to get back out a few times in the next week then hopefully sign up to a couple of races for the summer.

Edited by Duffy_

17 miles for me this morning averaging 8'02 pace. The good news is my heart rate was really low, the bad news was my legs were really tired. However, in the spirit of blind optimism, I'm putting that down to the hilly route.

Going for a nap now.

Something's gone ping in my groin tonight.

I hate to be like a broken record but rest and ice is crucial here. When pain dissipates then do exercises in the video I posted about a week ago.

Groin injuries are an absolute nightmare if you continue to train on them.

Edited by BishyTON

Kenzie, you're a very good runner so I hope you don't mind a plodder like me offering my opinion but.........based on you target marathon times, 17 miles in 2 hours is much too fast for your long run.

You've turned it into a very long tempo run and weirdly enough I think you would have got more training benefit by doing it about a minute per mile slower.

You're parkrun time shows you've got more than enough pace for a sub 3 marathon but by going so fast on long training run's you're running the risk of being knackered before you even get to your marathon.

I've read quite a lot of marathon training plans (I'm just not good at following them) and not one of them would recommend doing what you have just done.

As I said at the start, you are miles better than me so I feel cheeky typing any of this but I think you should really read about why it's better to do your long runs slowly.

It is recommended that if you do a tempo run, especially at that distance, then you don't run for a week. If you go out for that distance then go off slower. It's known as LSD - Long, Slow, Distance.

You can do fartlek or interval runs. Fartlek - do 1 mile easy, 1 mile medium pace, 1 mile fast, 1 mile medium then repeat. Interval - Do 2-3 miles at tempo pace, then recover for 1-2 miles then do 2-3 miles.

I got a pair of lyrica shorts that I wear underneath my shorts. It helps when it's wet as I don't get any chaffing.

Did a hill session on Tuesday. Legs were killing after it.

Did a fartlek session on Thursday. Nice and easy.