P&b Running Club

I keep pulling a groin muscle on the my right hand side. I don't if its my form or what? I do a warm up of streches before I go out running, but I've read that can actually make it worse. I also read I should just walk for 3 minutes to warm up.

Thoughts on any of this?

I keep pulling a groin muscle on the my right hand side. I don't if its my form or what? I do a warm up of streches before I go out running, but I've read that can actually make it worse. I also read I should just walk for 3 minutes to warm up.

Thoughts on any of this?

I wouldn't stretch until you're warmed up properly.

Managed the Parkrun in 18:58 (finishing 7th) at Pollok Park, delighted to break under 19 minutes as that was one of my goals for the year and not one I expected to achieve until later in the year. 17 miles in 2 hours this afternoon, intended to do 20 miles but I got a bit fed up running in the wind and rain, plus I wasn't really motivated for it today. A bit concerned I've not ran longer at this stage. Planning to get the train out to Balloch next Sunday and run back via the cycle route.

Thoughts on any of this?

First and foremost with a groin pull - rest for a couple of weeks. Take it from someone who has had a recurring groin problem that failing to do so is a BIG mistake. Ice it regularly as well and use the techniques shown here once the pain has gone away for a couple of weeks before running again.

Victoria Parkrun again yesterday after another week of just gym work. Did it in 18 mins 34 secs which was not too bad given the windy conditions. Did another wee 5km run this morning around my area. Quite a hilly course and did it in 19 mins 51 secs. Glad to be back running again and am going to start building the distance up over the next few weekends.

Managed the Parkrun in 18:58 (finishing 7th) at Pollok Park, delighted to break under 19 minutes as that was one of my goals for the year and not one I expected to achieve until later in the year. 17 miles in 2 hours this afternoon, intended to do 20 miles but I got a bit fed up running in the wind and rain, plus I wasn't really motivated for it today. A bit concerned I've not ran longer at this stage. Planning to get the train out to Balloch next Sunday and run back via the cycle route.

Kenzie, you're a very good runner so I hope you don't mind a plodder like me offering my opinion but.........based on you target marathon times, 17 miles in 2 hours is much too fast for your long run.

You've turned it into a very long tempo run and weirdly enough I think you would have got more training benefit by doing it about a minute per mile slower.

You're parkrun time shows you've got more than enough pace for a sub 3 marathon but by going so fast on long training run's you're running the risk of being knackered before you even get to your marathon.

I've read quite a lot of marathon training plans (I'm just not good at following them) and not one of them would recommend doing what you have just done.

As I said at the start, you are miles better than me so I feel cheeky typing any of this but I think you should really read about why it's better to do your long runs slowly.

Edited by Ziggy

Not cheeky at all. I know I should be running slower for long runs, but I always seem to need to be pushing myself, otherwise I would lose interest. I know I need to change this, and it would likely ensure I cover the required distance. I did find running last weekend with a friend helped to run a slightly slower pace and we intend to go again together next weekend.

Victoria Parkrun again yesterday after another week of just gym work. Did it in 18 mins 34 secs which was not too bad given the windy conditions. Did another wee 5km run this morning around my area. Quite a hilly course and did it in 19 mins 51 secs. Glad to be back running again and am going to start building the distance up over the next few weekends.

Well done with an impressive time and the road to recovery. What would you say is the best Parkrun in the vicinity of Glasgow for PB's?

What would you say is the best Parkrun in the vicinity of Glasgow for PB's?

I've not tried Victoria Park yet but have heard it's quite fast.

From the ones in the West of Scotland that I have done, I'd put them in the following order. (fastest first).

Strathclyde Park (As long as there isn't a wind, the wind coming off the loch can be brutal. It's also quite dull)

Pollok Park

Eglinton Park (a bit like a cross country version of Pollok, lot's of mud and the occasional flood. Don't wear your best sandals!)

Tollcross (Only done it the once and you constantly seem to either be running up or down a steep incline. Ideal for hill training.)

5k on Saturday morning after a skinful on Friday night. Very leisurely pace and comfortably managed just under 25 minutes. Will see if I can avoid running with a hangover the next time and hopefully knock a couple of minutes off that.

5k on Saturday morning after a skinful on Friday night. Very leisurely pace and comfortably managed just under 25 minutes. Will see if I can avoid running with a hangover the next time and hopefully knock a couple of minutes off that.

Did running make the hangover better or worse?

Did running make the hangover better or worse?

I usually find it makes me feel a a lot better after the run, but when I'm out running it can be hellish. A couple of occasions last year where I took to the hills and had to stop mid jog to spew behind a tree.

I did 8 miles on the treadmill with 5 of them just a little quicker than my planned marathon pace.

I'm hoping that it was the heat in the gym and/or the rolling hill setting that I had it on that made it tricky or I'll soon be reassessing my planned marathon pace. :(

Getting inveigled out for a run this evening as this pesky Swiss marathon is only a few months away. 10k round the mean streets of East Kilbride, with my dodgy ankle still pestering me. I could be on crutches by tomorrow.

Glad to see it's windy out. Sob.

Getting inveigled out for a run this evening as this pesky Swiss marathon is only a few months away. 10k round the mean streets of East Kilbride, with my dodgy ankle still pestering me. I could be on crutches by tomorrow.

Glad to see it's windy out. Sob.

Typo or are you running over here?

Ha, not a typo. My mate's running Swissman, and I've foolishly agreed to run the marathon bit with him as his support guy. Still, a marathon shouldn't be too bad. I hear Switzerland is nice and flat. :unsure:

Just had a quick look at the site and noticed this quote.

SWISSMAN is “pure swissness” – just like the Norseman is purely Norwegian, and the Celtman purely Scottish. Anyone who participated once will forever be part of the SWISSMAN family!

Some Celts might not be too happy there...

On a serious note, looking at the area you'll be running in I am extremely jealous. The Bernese oberland is in my opinion the most beautiful place on the planet. If you have the time, take the Brienzer Rothorn to the top of the mountain there, the views are something else. Interlaken I'm not a fan of, too touristy, but Thun isn't too far and is pretty nice. My mate is in the process of opening his second pub there actually.

Also, the women.

Edited to add: That last 8km looks an absolute fucking killer.

Edited by Ross.