P&b Running Club

Congratulations. I got an unsuccessful and my back up plan of the Moray marathon looks to be kaput as well as it's been cancelled. I have absolutely rotten luck on ballots failed about 6 times on the London marathon as well.

Absolutely miserable this morning when I went out for my run but it did give me a chance to try out my new jacket!

You can still get into the run, mate.

Charities have spaces. I'd contact the likes of Macmillan and ask to run for them. The only thing is, they tell you exactly how much you have to raise.

I've got a place in the Great North Run as well. More than a little apprenhensive as I've never done anything more than a 10K previously, I think I might have been pished when I applied. Ooops.

On the bright side I suppose there's plenty of time to get my arse in gear before September - if this doesn't motivate me nothing will!

Edited by McB

I've got a place in the Great North Run as well. More than a little apprenhensive as I've never done anything more than a 10K previously, I think I might have been pished when I applied. Ooops.

On the bright side I suppose there's plenty of time to get my arse in gear before September - if this doesn't motivate me nothing will!

Just get drunk again before the off. Carry plenty of booze for the journey. You'll wake up the next day with a bit of a sore head / legs, and a half marathon under your belt.

3k in 19 minutes tonight. Finish without feeling sore, so the new trainers are having an immediate effect. First time I've managed to run for that long without stopping, so pretty happy, and if I'd planned my route a bit better could have gone longer. I'll go for a longer run on Wednesday, about 4k.

Got in the GNR as well. It's my birthday the following day too!.

Did the 5.7 mile X-C race on Saturday. the wind was behind me on the uphill sections and into your face all the sections. The ground was muddy as hell. Quite pleased I got round in 43:22, Going at just over 7mins mile pace.

Just get drunk again before the off. Carry plenty of booze for the journey. You'll wake up the next day with a bit of a sore head / legs, and a half marathon under your belt.

:lol:

If my training doesn't go that well I'll keep that strategy in mind as a plan B, cheers!

:lol:

If my training doesn't go that well I'll keep that strategy in mind as a plan B, cheers!

You probably already know this, but the GNR website has a training plan that can be tailored to your needs.

I got a nice 4 mile "easy run" (as the call it) in and felt great after it.

You can still get into the run, mate.

Charities have spaces. I'd contact the likes of Macmillan and ask to run for them. The only thing is, they tell you exactly how much you have to raise.

Cheers I knew that but I refuse to run for any of the big charities.

I wouldn’t take a charity place either.

The charity have to buy the place for an inflated fee in the first place, that’s why they set a high minimum amount to be raised.

I wouldn’t feel right asking people for donations where only a small percentage of the money raised will end up at the chosen charity.

I wouldn’t take a charity place either.

The charity have to buy the place for an inflated fee in the first place, that’s why they set a high minimum amount to be raised.

I wouldn’t feel right asking people for donations where only a small percentage of the money raised will end up at the chosen charity.

Agreed. I don't like being told how much I need to raise. It totally flies in the face of charity in my book.

On a different note - one of the reasons I hate big races is the need to register so early. I prefer to sign up for events a couple of weeks beforehand at most to try to avoid missing event through injury/missing too much training due to injury beforehand etc.

Case in point is that I was going to sign up for Balloch-Clydebank HM. As it is a smaller race, entry doesnt close until about a week beforehand and therefore I held off signing up. I am now out with an IT band knock and am not going to be ready in time. Had this been a big race then cash would be lost and a place gone to waste!