P&b Running Club

Well done to the park runners. Some of those 5km times are amazing!

Cheers. Well chuffed, aiming to go sub-19 now before the year is out.

Lol. Looks like you got round in 19 mins 28 secs mate - that is really good for a first time at Pollok Park, especially on the alternate course.

18 mins 54 secs for me. Relatively pleased with that given said alternate course and slightly windy conditions.

Yeah, that was my time, delighted with it. Felt like I'd gone slower, but really hard to judge as I'm not used to racing that distance and that my watch was lying to me. I thought I still had the best bit of a kilometre to go when I saw the 200m to go sign. Didn't realise it was an alternate course (arrived just before 9.30am and just followed the crowd) until the guy scanning my barcode asked what I thought about the changed route. How does it differ from what we did today?

parkruns are great. I've ran lots of them at 5 different locations and they are all different in terms of terrain and numbers of runners but in my opinion Pollok is one of the best. I've found that my Garmin plays up a bit there, I've always assumed that it is due to the trees but I'm just guessing.

I may try others, especially if they're more favourable for a PB, but Pollok is very convienent for me. A bit of a shame that the Garmin watches have a problem then, I'm normally quite reliant on the information from it, although it might be good to just hammer the run as much as possible and hope for the best.

Edited by Kenzie

Didn't realise it was an alternate course (arrived just before 9.30am and just followed the crowd) until the guy scanning my barcode asked what I thought about the changed route. How does it differ from what we did today?

The only difference is that the normal start is at the Burrell Collection carpark and we join the circuit after the downhill section about 800m in rather than at the s bend. You then do 2 rather than 2 and a bit laps of the circuit before the finish. The normal course is about 10-15 secs faster IMO as you don't have the additional uphill section at the start.

After having to endure the dreamill the last few weeks due to the atrocious weather it was good to get back on the road today even though the wind was still howling a gale which led to my 8 miler being 2 or 3 minutes slower than usual (well thats my excuse) but still managed it in 59 mins.Have cut down the amount of running i do to stop getting injured which is working as i've felt good for a good while now and replaced it with cycling and swimming and it hasn't affected my times and probably helped .I only run 12 miles a week now which reading some posts on here seems very low :unsure2:

Anyone on here done the camperdown park run in dundee and if so what like is it?

10k for me tonight which contained 3x1 miles at about half marathon pace with 3x1 miles jogs in between them for recovery.

I'm thinking of entering the Balloch to Clydebank Half in March but I'd just be doing it (with an extra couple of miles before and after) as a long run.

Went for a 5k run past the old BBC building in London last week. Managed to injure myself yet again, this time my right ankle being gubbed.

I'm beginning to think running ain't for me.

Sorry to hear that, I know how annoying it is to constantly be picking up injuries?

Were you using your new insoles at the time?

Sorry to hear that, I know how annoying it is to constantly be picking up injuries?

Were you using your new insoles at the time?

Cheers Ziggy. The insoles are great, and I'd been for a few runs with them with no incident. But as you know, these things are never quite simple... e.g. the reason I have a sore ankle could be cos of a dodgy knee. I need to join a gym and strengthen up the muscles etc.

Have you got your insoles yet?

Got a tightness in outside of back of knee which only hurts when running. Think it is a IT band strain. Any rehab tips?

Foam Roller!

I posted earlier in this thread with a youtube clip I will try and dig it out

ETA http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/75234-pb-running-club/page-82#entry6348094

Edited by diamonds2002

Cheers Ziggy. The insoles are great, and I'd been for a few runs with them with no incident. But as you know, these things are never quite simple... e.g. the reason I have a sore ankle could be cos of a dodgy knee. I need to join a gym and strengthen up the muscles etc.

Have you got your insoles yet?

I got them tonight and have just been wearing them about the house. I've put them into a pair of neutral trainers I bought at the weekend and to be honest it all feels a bit strange (almost uncomfortable).

I'm going to just walk about in them for a bit until I get used to them.

You defo get used to them. I was like that for a couple of days and now walking about in my slippers / bare feet without them feels seriously weird. Doesn't really do much about my overarching (excuse the pun) gimpiness though.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

You defo get used to them. I was like that for a couple of days and now walking about in my slippers / bare feet without them feels seriously weird. Doesn't really do much about my overarching (excuse the pun) gimpiness though.

Do you transfer the insoles from your trainers to your work shoes? I don't know if I can be bothered with that, especially since I spend most of my working day sitting on my arse.

I'm fairly injury prone as well. A proper runner (2'50 marathoner) at my work remarked that if I was a horse I'd have been put down a while ago. I've started doing a lot more cross training and yoga so hopefully that and my insoles will mean that I can get to the start line of a marathon without breaking myself. Something I've not managed in my previous two.

I'm fairly injury prone as well. A proper runner (2'50 marathoner) at my work remarked that if I was a horse I'd have been put down a while ago.

:D ... that's well harsh!

I asked Robbie (the podiatrist) whether I should wear them all the time and he said given the nick of my feet, I probably should. It's not that much hassle to remove / replace them. And anyway, since I've injured myself again, I've not even had to take them out my everyday shoes.

Having said that, it no longer feels right when I walk about in bare feet. Mind you, that's somewhat akin to giving someone heroin all the time, and then when they don't have any, they start not to feel "right".

Got a tightness in outside of back of knee which only hurts when running. Think it is a IT band strain. Any rehab tips?

I had big problems with this last year and the only thing that finally fixed it was to stop running for about 4 weeks and rest. I stupidly kept running without cutting back on distance and totally knackered it.

I tried the foam rollers and exercises but the damage was already done by that point.

I had big problems with this last year and the only thing that finally fixed it was to stop running for about 4 weeks and rest. I stupidly kept running without cutting back on distance and totally knackered it.

I tried the foam rollers and exercises but the damage was already done by that point.

Yeah I have learnt my lesson after the groin strain debacle. No running until Saturday at the earliest and even then only if it is pain free to do so.

The physion told me that a tight IT band it will just keep coming back unless you find a way to stretched it. I cant recommend the use of the foam roller enough - I know recognise when it is coming on and can stop it becoming an issue.

I was also told that there was no reason why I couldnt keep running on it (it hurt like hell but I wasnt actually doing myself any damage).