P&b Running Club

Mad Capsule, If you are based in Toryglen or close by, your local Parkruns are Pollok or Tollcross (I'm part of the core team at Tollcross).  Even at this stage if you cant run 5k, thats cool. Parkrun isnt really aimed at elite or even accomplished runners (although many such folk do run) - its aimed at all abilities and we dont expect folk to be in shape - in fact we positively encourage those taking their first steps.

Personally I love running, but I'm not that great - (have worked hard to achieve mediocrity), but love being part of an event that encourages others to get going.

If you fancy Tollcross let me know, its quite a hilly course but there's no pressure to do it quickly.

Thanks very much for this. What time and date do you guys do and how long will it take? Also, does it cost anything?

I live on Victoria Road near Queens Park train station if that helps?

I'm not very fit, so might lag behind at first, but hopefully this will give me motivation.

Also want to try and be more social this year, so maybe this will help too?

Thanks very much for this. What time and date do you guys do and how long will it take? Also, does it cost anything?

I'm not very fit, so might lag behind at first, but hopefully this will give me motivation.

9.30am every Saturday. They are free and all you have to do is register, print off a barcode and then take the barcode to the run.

Don't worry about how fit you are just go along and enjoy it. Your times are recorded and published online so it's easy to monitor progress.

They are as social as you want to make them. Most parkruns are next to cafes (Burrell Collection Cafe, Tollcross Swimming) and a lot of the runners go to them afterwards. Another way to get to know people is to volunteer to help out occasionally.

Given your location Pollok Park is probably the easiest for you to get to - must only be a couple of miles at most from where you live?

All the Parkruns are very welcoming and, as suggested above, you get to know the core people a lot better by volunteering once in a whilw .

I'd love to do a park run, they're just a bit awkward for me to get to..

Anyway, first run of 2014 today and first since I fell the week after the GSR so was a bit apprehensive. Took it easy and did about 25 minutes and managed to stay upright so it's all good. Had a decent year (for me) in 2013, logged 353 miles on 2 feet and 2 wheels(twice what I logged in 2012) and ran 3 10k races that culminated in a pb at the GSR 10k. Haven't signed up for any races yet this year, main goal so far is to beat last years total and when I'm fitter I'm going to try some trails and up some hills. Having said that I will probably do a couple of 10k races along the way.

Given your location Pollok Park is probably the easiest for you to get to - must only be a couple of miles at most from where you live?

All the Parkruns are very welcoming and, as suggested above, you get to know the core people a lot better by volunteering once in a whilw .

Had a look at this. Not far, but worried I won't be fit enough for 5k in the first instance. Might go job round there myself on a Sunday and try and get this one done by feb. Should be easy enough, no?

Yes, Pollok is defo your closest one. dont worry about not being fast enough. there's quite a few folk go to pollok any given saturday - around 300 - 400, so the chances of you being last or anything like that is very slim to say the least. The guys n gals organising it wont mind if you take a while to go round and you gotta start somewhere.

Details can be found at http://www.parkrun.org.uk/glasgow/ for the one in pollok park.

I'd love to do a park run, they're just a bit awkward for me to get to..

Anyway, first run of 2014 today and first since I fell the week after the GSR so was a bit apprehensive. Took it easy and did about 25 minutes and managed to stay upright so it's all good. Had a decent year (for me) in 2013, logged 353 miles on 2 feet and 2 wheels(twice what I logged in 2012) and ran 3 10k races that culminated in a pb at the GSR 10k. Haven't signed up for any races yet this year, main goal so far is to beat last years total and when I'm fitter I'm going to try some trails and up some hills. Having said that I will probably do a couple of 10k races along the way.

where in Glasgow are you Baggio? There's 3 in Glasgow at the moment with a 4th coming in Spring/summer all going well in Springburn. (meaning there will be a parkrun in the South (Pollok), East (Tollcross), West (Victoria) and North of the city).

The 3 current ones are fairly good for Trains n buses.

where in Glasgow are you Baggio? There's 3 in Glasgow at the moment with a 4th coming in Spring/summer all going well in Springburn. (meaning there will be a parkrun in the South (Pollok), East (Tollcross), West (Victoria) and North of the city).

The 3 current ones are fairly good for Trains n buses.

I'm not in Glasgow these days, out kilsyth way so will keep an eye out for springburn starting up.

There is a great article in this months runners world for those looking to take up running and for those just starting out. Cant find it online at the moment but it gives tips, advice and programmes for 5 stages of fitness from those who do nothing to those who are looking to introduce some speedwork.

If you are thinking of starting out I would say it would be £4.50 well spent (or wait til next month when it should be available online)

I managed a 6km run this morning and was fine despite the wind and rain until the half way turning point when I realised I had been running with a strong tail wind. Also a bus soaked me by veering into a puddle at the side of the road.

Couldn't be bothered with my planned long run this morning, so went for a 1.12 mile, pretty hilly sprint. Did the mile in 5 mins 50 secs, which is not bad given hills and windy weather (thankfully at back on uphills and in face on downhills).

I haven't been to the Falkirk parkrun but this thread has confirmed it contains something called the Murder Hill. The Cally Park is pretty steep in parts and I think the route takes these in.

It's hilly. It's shaped like a 6, with the highest point where the loop of the 6 joins (if that makes sense).

Means there's a steady but not too bad climb to about 1.5k, same back down but then a steep climb over a few hundred metres length back up again. The hill is hard but it's not stupid.

Edit - from the start you climb c35m in 1.5k, drop back down the same over 1.5k, climb c35m in 0.5k, then drop back down in 1.5k.

Edited by Disco Duck

Been suffering from a nasty cold since Saturday. Spent all of Sunday and Monday in bed, but was back at school today and out for a easy 2.5 mile jog tonight.

This distance isn't anywhere close to a challenge but I struggled big time. I've clearly not fully recovered and have rushed my return.

I'll take tomorrow off, make sure the cold has completely cleared up before trying again on Thursday.