P&b Running Club

The scenery must be pretty nice for a HM. It'd be a shame to post a fast time and miss all the nice parts, just take your time : )

If I struggle my way round and go well over my target, I'm using that as an excuse...

Bishy,

I think a target of Sub 1hr 30min is really quite conservative for someone that can do a 38.28.

You'll smash that target if you do the half.

Agreed the runners world time calculator has you at sub 1hr 25 for the half marathon on that 10k time.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

Yeah I think I am capable of around 1hr 25m if I train properly for it. But given that I only started doing above 10k for the first time in over a year two weeks ago, I would be more than happy with my stated target of around 1 hour 30 mins.

Parkrun for me tomorrow morning at Pollok Park and then 10 mile run at least on Sunday morning. If all goes OK then will be signing up for HM on Sunday afternoon. BTW - deadline for HM is 12pm on Monday and you can downgrade to 10k at Run4It on Bothwell Street between 2-5 of October or from 8am on race morning if necessary.

Parkrun at Pollok is good, but it's so popular (sometimes over 400 runners) that it's a bit of a scrum at the start (especially when there's people with dogs and pushchairs who still manage to beat me).

The Tollcross one is pretty good, if a bit hilly. Going to do that tomorrow....

Parkrun at Pollok is good, but it's so popular (sometimes over 400 runners) that it's a bit of a scrum at the start (especially when there's people with dogs and pushchairs who still manage to beat me).

400 runners for a Saturday morning jaunt! Crazy stuff.

Never really experience the scrum myself when running, but it looks pretty ropy at times when I have volunteered. Re buggies -There is a guy whose surname is Prentice who pushes his son around the course in a racing buggy and regularly beats me. It is always a tad embarrassing, although running 5k in between 18 and 19 minutes pushing a buggy is really amazing.

I like Tollcross as well - pretty tough course though. The end of lap 2/start of lap 3 uphill section is always difficult.

400 runners for a Saturday morning jaunt! Crazy stuff.

Yeah it is really good though. It is a mix between a race and a social gathering and is great way for people to get into running races.

Never really experience the scrum myself when running, but it looks pretty ropy at times when I have volunteered. Re buggies -There is a guy whose surname is Prentice who pushes his son around the course in a racing buggy and regularly beats me. It is always a tad embarrassing, although running 5k in between 18 and 19 minutes pushing a buggy is really amazing.

I like Tollcross as well - pretty tough course though. The end of lap 2/start of lap 3 uphill section is always difficult.

Yeah it is really good though. It is a mix between a race and a social gathering and is great way for people to get into running races.

Indeed, I genuinely never realised stuff like this was happening, but kudos to the volunteers for setting up/maintaining such an event.

I feel a bit of a fraud posting my times on here! Suffice to say breaking 70 mins for the 10k would be a major acheivement for me!

Impossible! It's an huge thing just getting out and doing it!

I look forward to you posting your 65 minute time in a few weeks.

It's the same when people are running 40min 10kms! I'm thinking to myself how the hell do they do that!!

Yeah I think I am capable of around 1hr 25m if I train properly for it. But given that I only started doing above 10k for the first time in over a year two weeks ago, I would be more than happy with my stated target of around 1 hour 30 mins.

I have the same problem. I've not really ran enough and certainly haven't done enough long runs recently. In fact I've only done one run of double figures (10 miles) since May.

The GSR is probably coming a bit too early for me to do well but I'm hoping that my marathon training earlier on in the year helps me.

I'm another one that thinks parkruns are great. But I'm biased as I'm one of the run directors at the one at Eglinton Park.

Impossible! It's an huge thing just getting out and doing it!

I look forward to you posting your 65 minute time in a few weeks.

It's the same when people are running 40min 10kms! I'm thinking to myself how the hell do they do that!!

And I say the same about the guys running 30 mins 10ks. The great thing about running is that it is essentially you against the clock and it doesn't really matter what anyone else does.

And I say the same about the guys running 30 mins 10ks. The great thing about running is that it is essentially you against the clock and it doesn't really matter what anyone else does.

Yeah exactly. And you can always shave some time off a PB on any given day.

Well put.

I'm under no illusion that I'm ever going to be any good at running but I enjoy it and I find that trying to get better is a great way of motivating myself to live a bit of a healthier lifestyle.

First run in a week after injuring my back lifting weights at the gym last Thursday. Managed to plod round 5 miles without any discomfort so looking forward to a small run tomorrow and a longer one on Sunday.

Managed to lose my iPod during the week so wasn't looking forward to running without it but I actually found it better/more enjoyable, anyone else found the same?

First run in a week after injuring my back lifting weights at the gym last Thursday. Managed to plod round 5 miles without any discomfort so looking forward to a small run tomorrow and a longer one on Sunday.

Managed to lose my iPod during the week so wasn't looking forward to running without it but I actually found it better/more enjoyable, anyone else found the same?

I'm the opposite, I'm battery runs out on my MP3 player that's me humped. I can't function.

I think hearing me panting like a fool and my feet slapping the ground would infuriate me too much.

I do enjoy not running with a watch/GPS/ heart rate though and just getting out there but still need my music.

I must have funny shaped ears, normal headphones fall out, like, every ten seconds if I try running with them. Pure annoying. So the only ones I could use were the C-shaped ones that loop over your ears.

Anyhow, the ones I had gave out a couple of years back, so I had to run without music. And I noticed that my average pace improved on the runs where I was, as thehoss says above, just listening to slapping feet and struggling lungs. I've never run with music on since.