P&b Running Club

Enjoyed this morning even though my time was pretty poor. Will try and get out again tomorrow, during the week and then be at parkrun next Saturday so hopefully won't be too long till I get the time down again.

Good turnout from the Bully Wee fans this morning.

Indeed it was! Quite pleased with my time (23.26), as getting back to my pre-injury times. Obviously a lot of New Year Resolutions, as that is the busiest I've seen Strathclyde.

Edited by Wee Bully

Done the 12K North Eastern X-C in Darlington on 8/12/12. 4 x 3k laps, including jumping down into a stream and then back up the other side, 4 b*****ds of hills and the course was very, very muddy. Managed to get round in 57mins.

The following week I did the X-C race at Jarrow. Although it was flat, the course was waterlogged. Dissapointed as it took me 41mins 21secs to get round that course.

Took part in the parlauff on Boxing day. Finished 2nd in just over 11mins with my partner covering the 2 miles.

Training has been hit and miss. Got a cold at the minute so the 2 sets of 5 x 200m with 1min rest between reps was hard.Oh and it was on the beach.

Gym on Monday, Got the 3.3mile race on Tuesday, Gym Wednesday, Hills session on Thursday and light run on Friday, rest on Saturday and then the Durham Cathederal X-C relays (3km) on Sunday.

Anyone got any aims for 2013?

I'm aiming for getting close to 12mins for the 3k Steeple-chase.

I've entered the ballot for the Great North Run, hoping for sub 1:35 for that.

Sub 42mins for the 10k.

Sub 20 for a 5K.

Hello runners. I was looking for some advice really. Me and a mate have entered the Edinburgh half Marathon. Would have done the full marathon but missed the deadline it seems. I don't run at all as yet so just wondering if its best to start small and run further each time? I also have this nike+ iphone thing so was wondering if that is worth using?

Hello runners. I was looking for some advice really. Me and a mate have entered the Edinburgh half Marathon. Would have done the full marathon but missed the deadline it seems. I don't run at all as yet so just wondering if its best to start small and run further each time? I also have this nike+ iphone thing so was wondering if that is worth using?

It's difficult to say without knowing how generally fit you are. If you don't do any exercise at all, 5 months to the HM will be tough. If you are vaguely fit, it won't be a problem. I would get a training programme off the web somewhere - theres plenty out there - that will involve running 3 or 4 times a week, between 30 minutes and 2 hours at a time (although the latter will only be once a week at the peak of the programme) for anything between 10 and 16 weeks.

I never used Nike+, I use Runkeeper - free and available to everyone, and you can link with your friends to keep a track of what you are doing. I would definitely recommend you and your mate doing the same programme and keeping a track of each others activities - it encourages you to go out.

Best advice I received when staring out (2 years ago) was to run slower than you think you should, not as far as you think you should, but go out more often. That makes it a habit, and not one that becomes painful.

Do a search online for a training programme/plan for the half marathon - there are plenty of beginner ones which will get you round without too much pain

entered the ballot for the great north run - hopefully more success here than with London.

Well I got a place last year at my first attempt in the ballot, so fingers crossed for you, too. Unfortunately I couldn't run it <grumble> but hey, the thought was there! :)

I've just realised it will be 10 years in May since my first Marathon. I've managed another since, with 2 half marathons and countless 10Ks along the way.

I had a whopping 4 year break when I lived down south. What a waste. I'd have been fooked if the London ballot entries had come up :rolleyes:

I think I might target the Great Scottish Run 10K later in the year. That should give me more time to get fit.

I've just realised it will be 10 years in May since my first Marathon. I've managed another since, with 2 half marathons and countless 10Ks along the way.

I had a whopping 4 year break when I lived down south. What a waste. I'd have been fooked if the London ballot entries had come up :rolleyes:

I think I might target the Great Scottish Run 10K later in the year. That should give me more time to get fit.

I'm going to attempt the Grangemouth 10K in March and then the Stirling 10K in September-ish.

Since doing the Perth Kilt run in June I've done hee-haw (new job keeping me in office all hours, and general lack of motivation).

Over the holidays, been hitting the gym treadmills though, and feeling remarkably decent. 40 minute blasts and getting enjoyably sweaty. Just need the nights to lighten up and I'll get back outside again.

Maybe even look at doing the Glasgow 1/2 M or Islay 1/2 M again if things go ok.

I'm aiming for the half-marathon in September, hoping that if I sign up soon (whenever they start taking entries for it) it'll give me the motivation to keep training and get in good shape.

My work usually have a discount code to use at the checkout for the Great Scottish Run Half and 10K in Sept. I think entries are open now but as soon as I hear something I'll post it up.

This year's date is 6th October, unusually late. This is the explanantion ontheir facebook

Thanks for your comments about the change of date for the Great Scottish Run. The reason for the change is so that it can help our plans to increase the fame of the event by securing TV coverage and also recruit top world class elite runners. We do of course realise that it affects some of your plans, but we hope that many of you will still be able to make the start line and enjoy this fabulous event!
Edited by Boghead ranter