P&b Running Club

Sorry to hear that. If you've got physio, then at least you'll have an expert that will be able to tell the right time to get back into it. I'd certainly recommend swimming before you fully get back into it. You'll be able to build up a bit of anaerobic fitness at least by the time your ankle is fully healed up.

Good shout.

Cheers

It's all relative Grant, I'd be delighted with any run where I averaged under 8 minute miles!

The most worrying thing about it was I was really struggling to reach those 3 miles, amazing how much doing nothing in 3 months can totally destroy what fitness I had, wish I'd done some swimming actually in hindsight!

I'm just back from a run round Arthur's Seat during my lunch. Well, when I say round I mean up and down, across and down. So much for taking short cuts.. At times I was running across clifftops and at others I was slipping down shale slopes.

Managed 5.53K in 29:10. Utterly fucked.

Preparing for the Glasgow half next month and building up the miles. Just in from only m second ever 10k-did it in 1hr3mins. About 7 quicker than last time. A lap of the north inch in Perth then up the hill and out to Bridge of Earn for anyone interested!

One issue I'm having is an annoying injury I've picked up about a week ago.

Getting a reall irritating pain in the back left area of my left knee. It ranges from mildly uncomfortable to absolutely killing me over the length of my run. Sitting with an ice pack on it now.

Any suggestions what it could be and what, of anything, I can do about it?

Sounds like itbs which had me out for a while. If your it band is strained or tight it puts pressure on the knee causing pain. My pain was sudden like a knife in the side of the knee. This is an overuse injury and the best thing to view it is rest and stretch the fucker until you cry. Foam rolling and stretching sorted mine out.

Preparing for the Glasgow half next month and building up the miles. Just in from only m second ever 10k-did it in 1hr3mins. About 7 quicker than last time. A lap of the north inch in Perth then up the hill and out to Bridge of Earn for anyone interested!

Getting a reall irritating pain in the back left area of my left knee. It ranges from mildly uncomfortable to absolutely killing me over the length of my run. Sitting with an ice pack on it now.

I'm preparing for the HM next month too. Strangely enough I was just chatting to a pal on facebook, and she's doing the HM too, but has shelved any plans for time targets, she just wants to get round, as she has ITBS.

And what she was telling me sounds exactly like what you're describing, so go with Young Bairn's recommendation.

Shouldn't be long till the GSR packs start dropping through letterboxes, getting quite excited now. I'm doing one 13-14 mile run a week, supplemented with a couple of shorter, 6-7 mile runs. And trying to pick routes that have hills in them, that climb from the Clydeside Expressway up the slip road onto Kingston Bridge nearly did me in last year. Happy with the way I'm feeling though. Not really focussing on time, but anything under 2 hours would make me happy.

And trying to pick routes that have hills in them, that climb from the Clydeside Expressway up the slip road onto Kingston Bridge nearly did me in last year. Happy with the way I'm feeling though. Not really focussing on time, but anything under 2 hours would make me happy.

I was OK with that section last year. I was struggling once we left the Pollock Park.

My aim was sub 2hrs, probably too obsessed with it. Still managed 1:55 but it was hot. Hopefully it's shit weather and not too dry.

Due to a mixture of injuries and partying I've not really ran much since the Edinburgh Marathon (my longest run has been 5 miles) however I finally entered the Glasgow Half today. I'm a bit worried that I've left it too late but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I really need to set myself crazy challenges in order to motivate myself to do any training at all.

I'll be happy if I can get sub 1'50''.

Going for a long-ish run tomorrow to assess just how unfit I am. I might have to adjust my target time.

Done a couple of half marathons, glasgow 2 years ago and Islay last year in 1 hr 48, but decided I'd go for at least one full marathon for the challenge and, hopefully, the achievement. Entered the Loch Ness marathon at the end of september. Training is more than I'm used to with the time involved but just about coping. Did 14 miles in 2 hrs dead on Monday, 6 in 49 mins last night. No bad for a 37 year old dabbler, haha. Hope my legs last the distance.

target 1- finish :unsure:

target 2- 4 hrs.

No idea if 4 hrs is achievable for me or not, one way to find out.

Know the North inch too bloody well now. Sick of it. :D

A good ( but hilly and tough ) training route for a half is to go from Perth toward Bridge of Earn, but go round the Rhynd road if you know it, then back along the main road to Perth. From craigie that's about 10 miles. I do it in about 1.26.

Not really much of a runner, a necessary evil for me really as I need to do a fair bit especially in the run up to fights so have started doing parkrun on a saturday and am trying to get out a few times a week in the mornings, went a big run round the braes in paisley this morning with the boys from the gym as parkrun was off it was torture! One of the lads had a app on his phone we done 8.5 miles in 1.14 is this good bad or indifferent? (bearing in mind a good bit of it was uphill all the way)

Not really much of a runner, a necessary evil for me really as I need to do a fair bit especially in the run up to fights so have started doing parkrun on a saturday and am trying to get out a few times a week in the mornings, went a big run round the braes in paisley this morning with the boys from the gym as parkrun was off it was torture! One of the lads had a app on his phone we done 8.5 miles in 1.14 is this good bad or indifferent? (bearing in mind a good bit of it was uphill all the way)

If you managed to run 8.5, miles that is automatically good for anybody.As for the time you run it in it depends what level you are at, but if that was your first big run you can be well happy with that time,good for building up your stamina for your fights though.

I ran 8.9 miles in 1:08:20 yesterday and iv been running for a while so I would say its a good time. However I'd be more pleased with running the distance as not many people could run 1 mile let alone 8.

Iv been building up my distances again after my 2 months on the sidelines with itbs and yesterday's run was the furthest iv done in a while. Felt ok so should be able to do a 10 mile run next weekend. No sign of the itbs either so pretty happy.

Next race for me is Stirling 10k. I'm hoping to get under my current pb of 42 minutes. Anybody else doing it? Quite a flat course so a good one for the personal records.

Been out for an interval run today-just a short one to see how my knee is feeling. Not perfect but wearing a support really helped it. Giving it a good icing now and heading to get new trainers and a visit to the sports injury clinic tomorrow to try and make it better!

First chance I've had since moving over here to go for a run in what can only be described as "Scottish weather". Pishing it down and about 15c. Having to take another route at the moment as they are putting on a rock festival at the top of the big hill I usually run up. Managed to find something a little flatter and managed a comfortable 7.44k in 36:32, which is fairly good by my standards.

I was OK with that section last year. I was struggling once we left the Pollock Park.

My aim was sub 2hrs, probably too obsessed with it. Still managed 1:55 but it was hot. Hopefully it's shit weather and not too dry.

That was exactly what happened to me last year. I was feeling brilliant over the Bridge and through the park, even up the road to Crossmyloof station. Mentally I had prepared myself that it was all downhill from there, so would be a scoosh. It was anything but, and from thinking I might break 1.50, I ended up with a 1.58. TBF, 2hrs was my original target, but it was going so well...

That was exactly what happened to me last year. I was feeling brilliant over the Bridge and through the park, even up the road to Crossmyloof station. Mentally I had prepared myself that it was all downhill from there, so would be a scoosh. It was anything but, and from thinking I might break 1.50, I ended up with a 1.58. TBF, 2hrs was my original target, but it was going so well...

We were probably struggling alongside each other for a while. I panicked about my time, pushed it too hard and buggered my knee.

Anyone part of a running club? I'm predominantly a lone wolf but was thinking a running club membership would be a great saving on gym fees each month. I had been thinking about the Falkirk Vics but the Linlithgow one has better times in the evenings.

Back from physio tonight. Tight IT band, got some work done on it and a few stretches. Also bought a new pair of trainers today-did the gait analysis things an got a pair that should give me far more stability so hopefully it will ease up nicely!

Falkirk Vics road running club is RTC warriors TM. I trained with them regularly until I got injured. Will be going back soon. They are very good. Tuesday is on the roads and Thursday is on the track.