P&b Running Club

My training for the half marathon was basically to do 2 or 3 short (40 mins or so), difficult sessions through the week - intervals/tempo run/hills - then at the weekend do a long slow run which I increased every week. I only got up to 11.5 miles in training and it was more than enough to get me through the actual race itself.

The LSR (long slow run) should be done at an almost uncomfortably slow pace though. It's when you get the miles into your legs - it's about training your body to be up and about for 2, 3, 4 hours. Your intervals/tempo runs/hill reps etc is where you build up strength and speed.

Edit to add: according to that, I'm not doing my speed training fast enough, and my LSRs are too fast. I wonder if I would see an improvement the other way around. Might give it a try.

Edited by Reina

Most folk get bored as hell running the same route every day. Best to mix it up a bit and use a standard route for a weekly 'progress' run.

yup, I can accept that. what I should have added is that I can't do interval training as I have a slight heart problem that means my heart can't cope with sudden changes in pace, going from fast to slow to fast again etc. That caused me to have to give up basketball (which I find far more interesting than plodding for miles) as during a bball game you tends to either be standing relatively still or sprinting full out for short bursts. What my heart CAN cope with is long periods of a fairly nice steady pace.

It worked for me doing the same route and then just building on it, as it gave me easy comparisons as to how fast I went and how I felt when I got home, and I took excitement from any improvements. I use the term excitement very, very, very loosely.

The one thing I did notice is that my pace went up when I stopped listening to music while running. One day my phone refused to play music, so I just went out anyway, and my average pace was better than before, so I tried it again deliberately and got the same result. Ever since then I just run to the sound of my slapping feet, struggling lungs and pounding heart, and the every km updates from the 'coach' on Endomondo.

Once I can feel my knee again I'll get the train out and meet you from work to run back with you, you can improve my time as well!!

That sounds good mate! Certainly. I'm determined to firstly actually run the Men's

10k this year, and secondly, do it in a good time.

Another question now, regards trimming time off a run. As I asked earlier, how much time can I expect to reduce my 10k time if I continue to run my 'just less than 10k' from

work to home, every week from now until then?

Edit:- I realise my question was answered earlier, but can anyone give a bit more exact time, based on the experiences of more seasoned runners than myself?

Edited by ShakehandsTom - DFC

Planning on doing the Alloa Half Marathon on the 18th March. Means that starting from Monday I've got a pretty intensive eight-week training plan.

Anyone want to be my Nike+ partner? :)

When is it, Tom?

I do think you'd need to do something other than 'just' run the same route over and over - you could do it in intervals for example.

It's in June. I'm hopeful of cutting a good bit off my time if I repeat the distance on a weekly basis, I'm just wondering how much I should realistically expect to trim from my time, based on that?

I presume by 'intervals', you mean the whole sprint for a minute, jog for two mins etc?

Ok guys, I am fat unfit c**t but decided to do the great north half marathon in September.

I did 3 mile on the treadmill in 25.17m (yes, that unfit lol). This was with no incline. Lol

Any tips on building myself up would be good.

I am hoping to do a 3k; couple of 5ks and two 10ks beforehand- dont think there is any in-between.

Stay in Stirling so any help/suggestion on races would be appreciated.

First peice of advice is to see a doctor first about doing the GNR. If they say you are ok, then proceed with training.

Hey that's really interesting. It does suggest that most of my training should be done at 10:15 / mile though, which would be weird. I generally mile at around 8 or 8:30 / mile when I'm in the swing of things.

You run the distance slower to get the body used to running the distance and using up the gylocen stores in the anaerobic (without oxygen) zone. If you are more experienced you can up the pace to 1 min/mile slower than your target race pace.

That sounds good mate! Certainly. I'm determined to firstly actually run the Men's

10k this year, and secondly, do it in a good time.

Another question now, regards trimming time off a run. As I asked earlier, how much time can I expect to reduce my 10k time if I continue to run my 'just less than 10k' from

work to home, every week from now until then?

Edit:- I realise my question was answered earlier, but can anyone give a bit more exact time, based on the experiences of more seasoned runners than myself?

Try running slower for 25% of the way home, then run faster than your 10k pace for 50% of the way home then back to slower 25%.

You can also try a fartlek style (fast/slow/average pace or varying distances).

I can't give you an exact time as there is too many varying factors

Great mate. Would be appreciated

Official 10k pb stirling 41:27 last sept (flat course). 10k on treadmill last night 42:28.

Official 5k PB 21:07. Few months back Falkirk park run (hilly). Can run sub 20 min on treadmill. Doing this tomorrow. Going for 19:30.

Can train any day of the week but restricted to treadmill when offshore. 2 weeks out of 5.

Currently doing 1 long run at an hour a more usually about 10 miles, 1 Tempo run, 1 intervals and a couple of steady runs in a week usually about 3 to 5 miles.

I have just signed up for the Bucklyvie 10k on the 21st this month. Would be great if I could better my PB.

Cheers

Sounds like you are doing the right things already. Run every other day. Stretch your legs each day. Hold the stretch for 20secs each. Also do a plank and side planks every morning to build up your core. No point in having the strongest legs if they are on a spring.

Speed sessions - 2-3 sets of 2-5k at a fast pace with 5 mins rest between reps.(if on a treadmill 3 to 4 mins flat out)

Hill sessions - Hard efforts up and easy down. This will build up power and stamina.

Alternative fast/easy miles (good for treadmill)

Long slow runs at 1-2mins slower than half marathon pace. Start at 8 miles and build up to 15 miles max, but you should only run 7 miles at the latest 7 days before the race as you taper.

As for the taper... 10 days before race start to do either of the following -

1 rep at the pace your doing for the speed work or the same reps, but ease the pace up.

The last long slow run should be 4 days before the race and be no more than 5 miles.

Plenty of rest and fluids!

Sounds like you are doing the right things already. Run every other day. Stretch your legs each day. Hold the stretch for 20secs each. Also do a plank and side planks every morning to build up your core. No point in having the strongest legs if they are on a spring.

Speed sessions - 2-3 sets of 2-5k at a fast pace with 5 mins rest between reps.(if on a treadmill 3 to 4 mins flat out)

Hill sessions - Hard efforts up and easy down. This will build up power and stamina.

Alternative fast/easy miles (good for treadmill)

Long slow runs at 1-2mins slower than half marathon pace. Start at 8 miles and build up to 15 miles max, but you should only run 7 miles at the latest 7 days before the race as you taper.

As for the taper... 10 days before race start to do either of the following -

1 rep at the pace your doing for the speed work or the same reps, but ease the pace up.

The last long slow run should be 4 days before the race and be no more than 5 miles.

Plenty of rest and fluids!

Great Neefie. Appreciate all of this. I guess the one thing I'm poorest at just now is rest. I have always felt a day off before a race is fine. I have a 10k race on Saturday but ran a hilly sub 32min 7km today. And tomorrow I agreed to mountain biking up Glentress. Might cancel this to give myself a chance at a sub 42min time :lol:

Try running slower for 25% of the way home, then run faster than your 10k pace for 50% of the way home then back to slower 25%.

You can also try a fartlek style (fast/slow/average pace or varying distances).

I can't give you an exact time as there is too many varying factors

Cheers. I'll give that a try.

Planning on doing the Alloa Half Marathon on the 18th March. Means that starting from Monday I've got a pretty intensive eight-week training plan.

Anyone want to be my Nike+ partner? :)

As I said earlier I am training for Inverness half but no idea what the nike plus thingy is. I use a Garmin.

I was out today, and I've probably said it earlier in this thread, but I fecking hate the wind.

I ran a big square roughly, and on 3 sides the wind felt like it was howling right into my face. Especially bad on the home stretch of 2km or so.

I even growled "f**k off wind" out loud at one point, when I seemed to be going 2 steps forward and one back. Must've looked a right lunatic.ph34r.gif

7.1 slow miles this afternoon. My average pace was 10:26 per mile, which is still faster than I should be doing according to that pace calculator I posted earlier in the thread. It was VERY comfortable though and I enjoyed just doing some miles without worrying about speed for a change. :) Was quite hilly, though!