P&b Running Club

Ok guys, I am fat unfit c**t but decided to do the great north half marathon in September.

I did 3 mile on the treadmill in 25.17m (yes, that unfit lol). This was with no incline. Lol

Any tips on building myself up would be good.

I am hoping to do a 3k; couple of 5ks and two 10ks beforehand- dont think there is any in-between.

Stay in Stirling so any help/suggestion on races would be appreciated.

Edited by MIFTHEBINO

On Friday there, I managed to cut a minute off the previous week's time for my weekly run home (just under 10k), so pretty please with that.

My quesion is, if I continue to do the same (or similar) runs every week until June, how much time could I expect to shave off my overall time, in preparation for the Men's 10k?

On Friday there, I managed to cut a minute off the previous week's time for my weekly run home (just under 10k), so pretty please with that.

My quesion is, if I continue to do the same (or similar) runs every week until June, how much time could I expect to shave off my overall time, in preparation for the Men's 10k?

I took 11 minutes off my 10k time between my first and second one, there was a year in between but for the 6 months after my first run I didn't do anything at all. Hoping that by not doing the same this time (Only took 4 or 5 weeks off at most this time) I'll go below the 45 minute mark. Other than the 2 10k races, I've only went that distance on a handful of occasions. Normally I'll run 6k a couple of times a week, then 8.5k to 9k on my third run. Not sure what your time is at the moment but it shouldn't be beyond you to take a couple of minutes off at least in 5 months.

Ok guys, I am fat unfit c**t but decided to do the great north half marathon in September.

I did 3 mile on the treadmill in 25.17m (yes, that unfit lol). This was with no incline. Lol

Any tips on building myself up would be good.

I am hoping to do a 3k; couple of 5ks and two 10ks beforehand- dont think there is any in-between.

Stay in Stirling so any help/suggestion on races would be appreciated.

There's a 10k at Buchlyvie on Saturday. Just google for races, there's usually one every couple of weeks. Either that or there's the Parkruns every Saturday morning at Falkirk, Strathclyde, Glasgow or Edinburgh which is a free 5k time trial.

Once I can feel my knee again I'll get the train out and meet you from work to run back with you, you can improve my time as well!!

Thanks for the info folks.

I am not quite ready for a proper 5k/10k yet- don't want to embarrass myself lol.

Is there anymore info on these 5k park

Runs? I fancy doing this in February :)

Edited by MIFTHEBINO

Thanks for the info folks.

I am quite ready for a proper 5k/10k yet- don't want to embarrass myself lol.

Is there anymore info on these 5k park

Runs? I fancy doing this in February :)

My link

Free 5 k race every Saturday in Falkirk.

List of races throughout Scotland.

My link

That is a good time for 3 miles as has been said. What are your long term goals?

There's a 10k at Buchlyvie on Saturday. Just google for races, there's usually one every couple of weeks. Either that or there's the Parkruns every Saturday morning at Falkirk, Strathclyde, Glasgow or Edinburgh which is a free 5k time trial.

Once I can feel my knee again I'll get the train out and meet you from work to run back with you, you can improve my time as well!!

Are you Running Bucklyvie. Iam :D

My link

Free 5 k race every Saturday in Falkirk.

List of races throughout Scotland.

My link

That is a good time for 3 miles as has been said. What are your long term goals?

The main one is to run the half marathon in September, but I want to run a full marathon by the time I am 40- i am 36 in may.

I do play footy and ref just now but I struggle with running constantly. Even on the treadmill I had to fast walk twice for just over a minute at a time for 3 miles :(

Short term goal is to run the full 3 miles without stopping and building up a half mile every fortnight.

Also, before I do a 5k, I want to do some incline work on the treadmill too.

It will be harder outside because of this and I won't be able to judge the speed I am running. I like jogging at 7.5 and then increasing to 8.8 for a short time and back to 7.5mph

I have a physio appointment on Friday so I'll see what they say then. I'm hoping some advice and a few exercises to do and I'll be back out on the road in no time.

I had some serious problems in my other knee in the past that I conquered. The pain is not as bad this time, I'm hopeful this is just a bit of damage from October that I should have seen to at the time. Thankfully I've been on my arse since then so I've not been doing any further damage to whatever it is.

The main one is to run the half marathon in September, but I want to run a full marathon by the time I am 40- i am 36 in may.

I do play footy and ref just now but I struggle with running constantly. Even on the treadmill I had to fast walk twice for just over a minute at a time for 3 miles :(

Short term goal is to run the full 3 miles without stopping and building up a half mile every fortnight.

When I was building up my distance to 10k in time for the Great Scottish in September, and again to get to half marathon distance (which I was doing by November), I used this as a 'formula'.

Run the same route each time you're out. If you come home 2 runs in a row feeling like you could have done more, then up your distance next time out. If you manage 3 or 4 runs a week, you'll blow yourself away at how quickly you can increase the distances you run.

Then aim to exceed your 'competition' distance, you'll find it easier to do that target distance. what I mean is that when I built up to 10k, I then tried to be under 50 mins (hey, I'm 45, lay off me) as much as I could, but didn't always manage it. Once I started doing 12, 14,16k runs and more, the first 10k was nearly ALWAYS under the 50 min mark during the run.

I managed a quick 10k before work this morning it was longer and harder than I remember (matron!) My training will be refocussed and I now know where I am.

Targetting this http://www.tomscottroadraces.co.uk/ for a start

Mif - i would recommend downloading a training plan rather than just adding miles. YOu will get quicker and fitter by mixing the runs up a bit and only doing one long run a week.

If you are running on the treadmill - I think it is between 1 and 2 for the incline which gives you the same effort level as running on the flat outside.

When I was building up my distance to 10k in time for the Great Scottish in September, and again to get to half marathon distance (which I was doing by November), I used this as a 'formula'.

Run the same route each time you're out. If you come home 2 runs in a row feeling like you could have done more, then up your distance next time out. If you manage 3 or 4 runs a week, you'll blow yourself away at how quickly you can increase the distances you run.

Then aim to exceed your 'competition' distance, you'll find it easier to do that target distance. what I mean is that when I built up to 10k, I then tried to be under 50 mins (hey, I'm 45, lay off me) as much as I could, but didn't always manage it. Once I started doing 12, 14,16k runs and more, the first 10k was nearly ALWAYS under the 50 min mark during the run.

Most folk get bored as hell running the same route every day. Best to mix it up a bit and use a standard route for a weekly 'progress' run.

Boghead ranter: that's all sensible stuff. Funnily enough, I deliberately never surpassed my race distance in training. I have run 3 half marathons in the last 16 months, and have never run more than about 12 miles in training. It was kind of superstition at first, as I wanted to keep the "magical 13 miles" haha for an event.

I am starting to get myself going again a bit now, 2 runs last week and I'll be back out this afternoon. Nothing fancy, just my usual hilly 4.3 miles, but it's getting the old legs and lungs back into shape again slowly. Still crummy times but just got to plough onwards before I decide what to aim for while training over the spring and summer.