P&b Running Club

Back at physio - knee injury AGAIN. Just impact related - no jogging for 2 weeks and I am getting some cushioned insoles for my trainers.

"Impact related"? "Cushined insoles"?

mmmmm

I'd be careful if I were you.

There is an alternative theory - which makes a lot of sense - that humans are designed to run barefoot. Big cushioned running shoes put your alignment out and could be what is causing your problems - not solving them.

I went on holiday one year and just ran in my lightweight racing flats and had no aches and pains. In contrast, I believe that messing about with insoles, wedges and stuff in running shoes to try and solve an ankle problem could well have contributed to my ultimate fucked knee.

In summary, minimal is maybe best. Check it out yourself. One thing I would say though is never trust a physio.

Struggled a bit tonight. Same 5.3k as Monday but in 25.24, 51 seconds slower. Conditions were better but my legs were like lead, no idea why but just couldn't get going!

How was your hydration?

I find it easier if I drink lots of, and nothing but, water all day when I know I'm going to be out at night. I always struggle more when I go out impromptu, and therefore haven't drunk much water or have had a couple of cups of tea during the day.

Which makes it so much harder when I'm on backshift and out first thing in the morning - if I hydrate the day before I'm knackered cos I got a crap sleep cos I was up pishing all night, or else I've had a good sleep, but I'm not properly hydrated.

I wouldn't have thought that hydration would be a problem over 5.3k. That sort of distance is too short for hydration to have an impact. 5.3k is just a quick warm up!

so just 24 hours after having to give up at 2k, I've just knocked down 16k and felt great.

Don't feel like I did anything different to prepare during today than I did yesterday? The human body's a right fickle thing.

I was talking about this happening with an athlete that ha been preparing for an event. They were talking about human "bio-rthymns" and how you cannot factor in this. I was listening to them for about 10 secs then got bored. lol

Struggled to catch my breath a bit this morning due to the cold, but managed to get my Falkirk Parkrun time down to 25:37 from 26:13. Not sure I should admit this, but I've started doing a few spinfit classes during the week. I'm finding the resistance training a huge help with my running.

ran the 3.3 mile handicap on Tuesday in about 23 mins dead.Which is what I was feeling after it!

Tonight I ran 7 x 400m efforts. First 2 laps I managed in 66 secs, next in 69, then 71 and back to 69secs. After a 4 min rest I was off again for the last 2 laps, managing 71 secs for both.

This weekend I will be going for either a sub-21 5k at the Parkrun in Sunderland or a sub-45 10K in Newcastle on Sunday.

Struggled to catch my breath a bit this morning due to the cold, but managed to get my Falkirk Parkrun time down to 25:37 from 26:13. Not sure I should admit this, but I've started doing a few spinfit classes during the week. I'm finding the resistance training a huge help with my running.

I'm doing 3 spin classes a week just now whilst injured. Stephen O'Connor Fitness in Grangemouth - great classes!

Nice one Neefie! You must be delighted :D Really chuffed for you!

I've moved up a group at running club and it's a lot harder, but just what I needed. I'd lost my motivation but this seems to have helped - a new challenge perhaps. Fitness seems to be improving again and I've been doing a fitness DVD called 30 Day Shred to try and improve my strength a bit. F*ck me, it's hard! Seems to be working - I had the upper body strength of Frank Spencer...

Did 11.5km trail run this morning through woods, then onto a dirt path, then back through the woods. Very hilly and very muddy but just fab. The sun was shining, it was about 12˚ (what is going on with the weather?!) and everything was so peaceful. That's why I love running. Just bliss. :)

Went along to my 8th Parkrun at Strathclyde on Saturday, got a new PB 32.11, a whole 5 secs faster than the week before, the time for my first parkrun back in Sep was 36 minutes something. I had hoped to get a sub 30 min run before the year end but am struggling to get out during the week now with a combination of working late and it being dark, cold and wet in the evening.

I got one of those Garmin watches which has helped us trim a minute of my time pretty quickly and it always seems to be the middle mile that I struggle in. I've been doing a bit of hill training as Shotts is full of them but bar that I've got a habit of just going out and running rather than sticking to a training plan.

I went along to the Falkirk parkrun last Saturday, arrived in the car park at 9.25 and just got to the kiosk to see they had started the race early dry.gif . Thats twice now I've missed the start of the Falkirk run!