P&b Running Club

15.5km (9.7 miles) this morning, furthest in my life, and for the first time ever I ran myself to a standstill, if that doesn't sound too daft. Fecking wind, Trying to run face-first into it during the 14th km finished me off, and I had to walk for a minute or so.

Quite chuffed I managed to get my legs going again, 'cos when I stopped I didn't think I would manage it. The paramedics in a passing ambulance taking extra interest in me spurred me on to get going again!

I am looking into getting a decent sportswatch (or potentially some kind of GPS) does anyone use these or have any recommendations? What should I be looking for other than big buttons and screen?

I bought the one in the link below about a month ago. This one will track your distance, pace and time, its ideal for me as where I stay there are no running tracks or parks etc. so it gives us the freedom of just going out and running rather than having to plot a route through Google maps. Its good for interval training as well as I was just really guessing the distance I was doing 200M, 400M etc. It has a heart rate monitor on it but I've never used it. You cant plot in any training programs in this one which is the only downside but the GPS works really well and I've not had any problems getting a signal and I've used it at a few of the Parkruns without any problems. Its good to be able to see what pace, time your doing, sometimes it spurs you on but other times I've looked at the watch and seen my pace or time is shite, it can be quite depressing!

After your run you can download it to your computer and it will give you a break down of your run with graphs for time, distance, pace and other stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Mens-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B003EGC47Y/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1319978884&sr=8-13

I was supposed to do the Falkirk parkrun yesterday but got lost, ended up missing it by a few minutes thats what I get for trying to cut through Bathgate rather than sticking to the motorways. I just done a quick run myself while I was waiting for my friend to finish, the course is a bugger compared Strathclyde!

my uphill beast is up Bogend Road and then up through Torwood towards Glenbervie Golf Club. It's a 2km stretch, all uphill, and usually after I've already done 7 or 8k already. Don't want to claim any ascent level as that's one part of Endomondo I don't trust, I just know it's a b*****d of a thigh-killer.

That's a c**t too. My in-laws are from Torwood so I've ran around there many a time. The stretch from Plean up to the Glen Road is a killer.

Third X-C race in 4 weeks and still improving. I love this one. 380 runners trying to squeeze into a footpath is interesting. I'm scratched, stung and bruised to bits now. I've got a black and blue bruise on my arm from hitting a branch on a tree. So another 6 miles over a an up and down course in 44mins 19 secs, an improvement of over 3 mins on last year. Last year this was my fastest race.

Just back in from my first run for a week or so, I went 5.3km in 24:33. Time coming down, although it wasn't quite as hilly as the parkrun course.

Given that the first 3.5km or so was right into the wind and rain and I got caught at a couple of traffic lights I'm very pleased with that.

Struggled a bit tonight. Same 5.3k as Monday but in 25.24, 51 seconds slower. Conditions were better but my legs were like lead, no idea why but just couldn't get going!

How was your hydration?

I find it easier if I drink lots of, and nothing but, water all day when I know I'm going to be out at night. I always struggle more when I go out impromptu, and therefore haven't drunk much water or have had a couple of cups of tea during the day.

Which makes it so much harder when I'm on backshift and out first thing in the morning - if I hydrate the day before I'm knackered cos I got a crap sleep cos I was up pishing all night, or else I've had a good sleep, but I'm not properly hydrated.

How was your hydration?

I find it easier if I drink lots of, and nothing but, water all day when I know I'm going to be out at night. I always struggle more when I go out impromptu, and therefore haven't drunk much water or have had a couple of cups of tea during the day.

Which makes it so much harder when I'm on backshift and out first thing in the morning - if I hydrate the day before I'm knackered cos I got a crap sleep cos I was up pishing all night, or else I've had a good sleep, but I'm not properly hydrated.

It's funny you should say that, because it occurred to me about halfway round that pretty much all I'd drunk at work was coffee. Good point.

mostly round the streets, so should think about park/grass running from now on probs :(

Is that really your arse? I find slipstreaming a cracking bum keeps me going during the Parkrun.

As posted on the Facebook page, Parkrun has three places available for the London Marathon next year.

All you have to do is take part or volunteer in any of the next three events. You will then be given a link to enter into a draw for the places.

It's not just for the Falkirk one though, but still, a chance is a chance.

Edited by Gaz

As posted on the Facebook page, Parkrun has three places available for the London Marathon next year.

All you have to do is take part or volunteer in any of the next three events. You will then be given a link to enter into a draw for the places.

It's not just for the Falkirk one though, but still, a chance is a chance.

Run a sub 3 hour marathon and that guarantees you entry to London.