P&b Running Club

Strathy parkrun was a bugger this morning very windy ended up a minute slower than my pb. Everyone else I spoke to found it a struggle as well and I ended up a few positions higher than last week so not too disappointed. There was 4 or 5 folk running with their dogs even the small dogs made it look easy. Would like to my run with my dog but she's too old now and if I took her to Strathclyde she would head straight for the water!

was out today, and just couldn't get any pace at all, so just settled for slogging out distance instead.

Managed 14.7km in 1hr 20, which is further & longer than I've run in my life.

What a beamer - when I was about 400m from home, barely putting 1 foot in front of the other & dead on my feet, I met my neighbour and his 2 daughters out for a walk. He's a coach at Falkirk Vics, and they're both very good runners. He managed a "keep it up, you're nearly in", but I'm sure he really meant "jeezo, what a knob"

2nd X-C race of the year and another clean pair of spikes. Yesterday I completed the 9K (5.7 miles) course in 41mins 56secs. That's a massive 15 mins improvement on the same course, that was my 1st X-C race, 2 years ago. Last year didn't count as the course length was 8miles.

So how did i reward myself today? Nice rest, soak in the bath? Nope. I was attending my 3rd Athletics Coaching Course. Yes - High Jump demonstration, Javelin training, flexibility and strength training were all on the course today. I'm hurting like hell tonight!

Anybody on here do the Glasgow parkrun? I've just started doing it and ran 25:24 on Saturday. In two minds whether to be pleased or not as I was aiming for 25-26 minutes but, having ran the whole way with a pain in my right calf and unable to give it everything at the death because i was bursting for a shite the last 500m, I can't help but feel I can improve! :lol:

Going to be hopefully in attendance every week for a while now, I'm certain that once I get to recognise the route a bit better and my overall fitness improves my time will come down. Just not sure how far it'll come down by...

Can anyone tell me how much a decent pair of running shoes would cost me? Not sure whether to get a cheap pair or spend a bit more, does it matter much?

Anything around the £50 will be a good pair. Try and get to running shop so they can fit you although Im not sure it makes that big a difference.

Anybody on here do the Glasgow parkrun? I've just started doing it and ran 25:24 on Saturday. In two minds whether to be pleased or not as I was aiming for 25-26 minutes but, having ran the whole way with a pain in my right calf and unable to give it everything at the death because i was bursting for a shite the last 500m, I can't help but feel I can improve! :lol:

Going to be hopefully in attendance every week for a while now, I'm certain that once I get to recognise the route a bit better and my overall fitness improves my time will come down. Just not sure how far it'll come down by...

That is a good time, you will see big drops over the next few weeks if you keep at it.

Can anyone tell me how much a decent pair of running shoes would cost me? Not sure whether to get a cheap pair or spend a bit more, does it matter much?

I recently went into a sports shop and just got a decent £30 pair of Nike ones. They fit well and are comfortable. Obviously not the best you could possibly buy but if you get seriously into running you can always get a more expensive pair.

Anything around the £50 will be a good pair. Try and get to running shop so they can fit you although Im not sure it makes that big a difference.

That is a good time, you will see big drops over the next few weeks if you keep at it.

Cheers yb, I have just done some research and my mrs' faither ran 22:38 at Falkirk recently so that's going to be my new target, hopefully to be achieved before the new year.

I recently went into a sports shop and just got a decent £30 pair of Nike ones. They fit well and are comfortable. Obviously not the best you could possibly buy but if you get seriously into running you can always get a more expensive pair.

Cheers

It really depends how much you want to pay, diamonds - I've got a Garmin 205 and it has made a big difference to how I train. It's a bit of a brick, but I just wanted something relatively cheap (wasn't bothered about a HRM) - I think it was about £85 - and wasn't bothered about how it looked. I can't recommend one enough. It's great in races as you get instant feedback on your pace.

I'm embarrassed.

Not really mate. The guy is only about 48 and has run numerous marathons and triathlons so I'd be well impressed if you'd beaten him!

Anyway 5s tonight, rest day tomorrow and parkrun Saturday for hopefully another PB!

Not really mate. The guy is only about 48 and has run numerous marathons and triathlons so I'd be well impressed if you'd beaten him!

Anyway 5s tonight, rest day tomorrow and parkrun Saturday for hopefully another PB!

There are plenty guys in there late 40's early 50's finishing with sub 20 minute 5ks at our park run.

If you really want to get your times down you will need to mix training up with hill runs, interval (sprints) and slower runs at longer distances.

There are plenty guys in there late 40's early 50's finishing with sub 20 minute 5ks at our park run.

If you really want to get your times down you will need to mix training up with hill runs, interval (sprints) and slower runs at longer distances.

This is what I've been doing. 6-8k runs typically bur I'm planning on entering a 10k sometime soon and a half marathon at some stage as well so figured it can't hurt to put a few more miles in now.

Unfortunately I've turned my ankle at 5s so I'm going to have to wait and see how it is when I get up tomorrow morning.

Woo hoo! I got my place in the ballot for the Olympic Park Run. I'm going to be such a bore when the Olympics come round ("I've been there", "did I ever tell you about the time I ran in the Olympic stadium" etc etc etc).

Can't wait.

Me neither :-(

On the plus side, now that I'm back living in Laurieston I've been revisiting some of my old routes. A personal favourite of mine is a 5K loop along towards Polmont, up the Salmon Inn, along to Redding and back down past Westquarter to Laurieston again.

The Salmon Inn is an utter, utter beast of a hill with (according to MapMyRun) 33 metres of ascent over a distance of only 210 metres. That's an insane gradient of over nearly 16%!

Me neither :-(

On the plus side, now that I'm back living in Laurieston I've been revisiting some of my old routes. A personal favourite of mine is a 5K loop along towards Polmont, up the Salmon Inn, along to Redding and back down past Westquarter to Laurieston again.

The Salmon Inn is an utter, utter beast of a hill with (according to MapMyRun) 33 metres of ascent over a distance of only 210 metres. That's an insane gradient of over nearly 16%!

my uphill beast is up Bogend Road and then up through Torwood towards Glenbervie Golf Club. It's a 2km stretch, all uphill, and usually after I've already done 7 or 8k already. Don't want to claim any ascent level as that's one part of Endomondo I don't trust, I just know it's a b*****d of a thigh-killer.