P&b Running Club

Did an easy 7K in 33mins 22mins today. Idea was that I'd do it in 35 mins. That's the pace I want to do my half marathons in so I finish in 1hour45mins.

Busy week this week. Got 12 x 400m in pairs tomorrow, easy run on Wed Morning of about 4-5 miles, then resting Thursday and Friday as I am competing on the track on Saturday in York.

I will be doing the 400M hurdles and 3000m S/c again. I'd like to beat my PB in both, getting sub 80secs for the hurdles and beat 13 mins 50 secs for the steeplechase.

I'll probably be doing other events for the team, but that's just for fun!

I did 7.75km this morning in 39 mins incorporating the "Falkirk Park Run" course that is starting next month. Quite a good wee course with a steep climb just over halfway through to drain the legs.

I've only just started running again after Edinburgh. However I have been going to the gym to stretch, do cardio and improve my core strength. I do feel better for it and I'm gonna try and keep at it. My immediate aim is just to be able to touch my toes, something I've not managed in a long long time. (Can everyone else touch their toes? I'm really not supple at all and I think that's why I get too many strains & injuries)

This morning I did 5k in about 24min 45secs (on a treadmill). That included a walking start and gently increasing my speed over the duration of my run. The first k was done in a leisurely 8 min odd whilst the last k was done in about 4min 15. However the last one was a struggle and I doubt I'd be able to maintain that speed for a 10k just now.

I think I'm going to do a couple of 10ks, the Glasgow Half and then hopefully the Loch Ness Marathon.

I've only done the one run since the Edinburgh Marathon, and that was two miles on a treadmill. My knee was absolute agony for a few days after, although (weirdly) it was fine as soon as i had a game of five-a-sides. I intend to keep running, but it's quite nice to be able to play fives, badminton and other sports again.

Other planned runs for me this year:

Forfar 10K (21st august)

Glasgow 10K (4th September)

Glen Clova Half (sometime in November) - although this is the least likely of the three ill be doing.

Not got special training schedule this time, i'm just going to keep with the mix of sports, and run 3 times a week along the lines of:

Tues: Hill Reps

Thurs: 3-4 miles at a fast pace

Sat: 6-7 miles

Not exaclty scientific, but it'll do. Plus with the football twice a week, and other stuff, I should get much fitter.

Edited by jupe1407

Downloaded the nike GPS app for my iphone (free), its a great wee boost when your blowing out your brown orrafice and the women with the strangly no bad voice at this point saying your almost done keep it up, think its in the last 500m or so for a 5k run not sure about others.

has anybody done the mens health survival of the fittest, tough guy down in wolverhampton or the mighty deerstalker in peebles? do they know any other events along those lines that I could try my hand at?

I've done all three tough guy was my favorite but cost the most, the deerstalker was the most challenging and the MH run was the best value for money.

Did another 5k on the treadmill tonight. Did it in 21min 54secs but I don't know if I could go much quicker. My heart rate was 144bpm.

I'm just going to keep running 5ks for the next couple of weeks and then I'll start training for the Glasgow Half.

Don't know if this is what you are after, but

http://www.muckyraces.co.uk/

No, despite the title it doesn't need moving to NSFW!

Anyway, this past Saturday in York I did the following....

400M Hurdles - 85.5 secs... disaster

Long Jump - 4.13M

800M - 2mins 51 secs

3000M s/c - 13mins 41 secs

shot putt - 6.62M

Javelin - 15M

Tripple Jump - 8.14M

I have a 5k on Sunday - looking for a time around 25 mins - think the course measures slightly longer than 5k, but I'll have the Garmin to keep me right on times.

Did a trail run tonight at Jog Scotland and loved it. It was pishing rain and it was very hilly, but I really enjoyed it. I might do some more trail runs - it's right up my street. :)

For the guys running the 5k on the treadmill first of all get outside :D but more importantly if you put the incline between 1 and 2 it will give you a better idea of the effort you need to run outside.

Yeah, I explained the reasoning behind it earlier in this thread somewhere. Basically the treadmill does the work for you, you're essentially just jumping up and down on alternate legs.

Right! I'm forever asking questions on here, and it may have been asked on this very thread, but I'm a shameless c**t so I'll ask again.

I go out for the odd run and I'm about to join a gym. I need a new mp3 player. I could just get a massive iPod classic, but it's a bit pricey and I'm worried it's a bit too heavy and the headphone jack would break again (like my last iPod classic). I'm sure there are players out there more suited for running, but it would probably have to hold upwards of 16Gb. Can anyone help?

you can get a 16g nano. I think it's better to get a flash drive than a hard drive for running.

On the running front, after a month of post 10k Gin, pizza and cake I've hit the roads again this week. Signed up for the GSR 10k in September so need to start clocking up the kms again!

Ran a 1.1 mile race in 6mins 56secs. Quite happy with that.

I've ran an easy 6 mile run last week in 48mins. Nice day for it.

Been coaching on a Thursday, so need to do some more training.

Got 2 more cracks at the 400 hurdles and 3000 steeplechase this season before focusing on the Great North Run.