P&b Running Club

Cool. Cheers. Would it not be a good indicator of how good (or otherwise :lol: ) my stamina is to see how long it takes to do laps of the pitch etc though?

Even though it was tiring, I enjoyed it and am determined to stick to a decent schedule to achieve what I mentioned above. :)

When sprinting to a certain point and turning back, I realise that unfortunately I have the turning circle of an articulated lorry. :lol::(

A better indication of stamnia would be to see how many you could do, not how quickly it takes to do them. If the pitch is approx 260m perimeter then 18 laps in 30 minutes would be reasonable goal to set yourself to be able to achieve in 2-3 weeks time.

I'd suggest sacking running round a park as it gets really tedious and you're more likely to get bored. I always find it's best to run in the streets as the scenery is constantly changing and you're not thinking to yourself 'christ, another 8 laps to go'.

As I said earlier, it's not really about times in the beginning being able to jog at a reasonable pace for a good amount for time. My average jog is approx 10kph, so you're talking roughly 6 minutes a km. If you use that as a rough guide and time how long you've been out for then you'll know roughly what distance you've covered.

Gaz will be able to give you better advice but that's the way i see it from someone in a similar position.

A better indication of stamnia would be to see how many you could do, not how quickly it takes to do them. If the pitch is approx 260m perimeter then 18 laps in 30 minutes would be reasonable goal to set yourself to be able to achieve in 2-3 weeks time.

I'd suggest sacking running round a park as it gets really tedious and you're more likely to get bored. I always find it's best to run in the streets as the scenery is constantly changing and you're not thinking to yourself 'christ, another 8 laps to go'.

As I said earlier, it's not really about times in the beginning being able to jog at a reasonable pace for a good amount for time. My average jog is approx 10kph, so you're talking roughly 6 minutes a km. If you use that as a rough guide and time how long you've been out for then you'll know roughly what distance you've covered.

Gaz will be able to give you better advice but that's the way i see it from someone in a similar position.

Excellent. Cheers. :)

Having been inspired by reading this thread I just went for a quick 15 minute jog there and am horrified by how out of breath I am.

I joined a gym back in May and although I havn't lost too much weight I have stopped spells of putting on weight heavily. I usually start in the gym with a one mile run taking me about ten minutes however I find it really hard to keep going. But when I'm playing games like football I can keep on going so what I'd like to know is how do you keep yourself motivated when running?

I am aiming to start getting up half an hour earlier in the mornings to do a light run to kick start me for the day so would really like to be able to encourage myself more.

Having been inspired by reading this thread I just went for a quick 15 minute jog there and am horrified by how out of breath I am.

I joined a gym back in May and although I havn't lost too much weight I have stopped spells of putting on weight heavily. I usually start in the gym with a one mile run taking me about ten minutes however I find it really hard to keep going. But when I'm playing games like football I can keep on going so what I'd like to know is how do you keep yourself motivated when running?

I am aiming to start getting up half an hour earlier in the mornings to do a light run to kick start me for the day so would really like to be able to encourage myself more.

Not everyone is the same, but I find it's much better to go outside rather than doing it on a treadmill. At the moment I have free access to a small 'gym' that has a bike, treadmill adn a stepper thingy. I went in a couple of times to use the treadmill, but I never managed more than a couple of miles or 15 minutes or so, just because I find it completely boring. I generally find gyms to be utterly horrendous places, and my motivation is much, much stronger when properly running outside. I often use Google maps to plan a circular route with the distance that I want to run, sometimes with a shorter route home if I don't feel like running all of it once I get going. As mentioned above, when you do that, your view is always changing, and you don't get bored with looking at the same thing all the time. Another benefit is that if you're running around the streets, you can't just suddenly decide you've had enough, go for a shower and that's that, because you still have to get home. It's a particularly powerful motivation when it starts to rain a bit!

Be aware as well that it's a different kind of thing to when playing football. I used to be like that myself - I was fit enough to run and run for a game of fives and be the only one fo the 10 of us still able to run comfortably in the last 10 minutes, but couldn't run more than a couple of miles at a time. A long aerobic run is quite different to the short bursts that you typically need when you play football, and it can take a while to get into the way of it. That's certainly the way it's been for me anyway, but work on it, and it does come.

Me too. I find it the most tedious form of exercise. I hate running distances.

That's why I dont do it. And I think it's pointless anyway unless you are wanting to do long races.

I also wouldn't waste time on the treadmill at a gym. Get a bicycle or something and at least enjoy some scenery and fresh air.

I'd agree the running is tedious pish, but it can be made bareable by listening to your mp3 player. I've started doing it as it's the only way to get the 'type' of fitness I want, not because I really enjoy it.

I often prefer being on a treadmill in a gym because it's never freezing/wet, you can watch the football while you run and you can stop when you want. When I'm outside it sometimes gets to the point where I'm about 2 miiles back to my house via the shortest route, I'm quite tired and without a drink and it's depressing.

I'd agree the running is tedious pish, but it can be made bareable by listening to your mp3 player. I've started doing it as it's the only way to get the 'type' of fitness I want, not because I really enjoy it.

I often prefer being on a treadmill in a gym because it's never freezing/wet, you can watch the football while you run and you can stop when you want. When I'm outside it sometimes gets to the point where I'm about 2 miiles back to my house via the shortest route, I'm quite tired and without a drink and it's depressing.

It just seems to me that when folk decide to "get fit" the first thing they do is decide they are going to go running. And it's fucking shite, and they last a week or something and then bin the whole notion.

It IS great way to get fit and you WILL lose weight doing it. It's just boring. I'd much rather do something properly competitive. But that's maybe just me. I know we are all wired differently. There are quite a few ways to skin a cat anyway when it comes to fitness.

Just find something you actually enjoy doing and do that. When you start to get fitter you can look at other stuff to add to the repertoire anyway.

BTW, that chin up bar was the best thing I ever got. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Looking for a bit of advice, without having to trawl this whole thread.

As Christmas is 'coming up', I'm informed, I'd like to get one of these 'mile gauge/stepometer/calorie burning counter thingmys'. The reason is two-fold. One, I want one as I'm going to make a concerted effort to lose fat/get fitter in the new year, and two, I'm never likely to get around to getting one for myself, so maybe if I'm lucky, and he reads this thread, Santa might bring me one.

I'm looking for one that measures the number of miles/km covered, time spent and average pace/times etc.

My questions are as follows:-

Where is best to get one?

How much is a decent one likely to be?

Help appreciated.

:)

The device you're searching for is what terrans call a pedometer I believe. These are outlawed on Qo'noS.

Expect to trade many a latinum bar in exchange for your cowardly toy!

Given that I'm unable to comprehend what the above means, is anyone else able to assist in my question mentioned above?

Just thought I'd give this a bump, as with every day that passes, Santa will be readying his sleigh.

Gaz, Reynard, regarding the above, I'm expecting full and excellent answers from you. ;)

x

Cant believe I missed this thread.

Tom, well done for deciding to improve your fitness and, in turn, your general health. Running is a great way of getting fit, we all know that, but people go about it completely the wrong way. Firstly, I would forget the pedometer. Instead get a decent pair of running shoes to prevent injury and fatigue. You can easily use the internet to map out suitable running distances, and at the moment your pace shouldn't be a concern. Thats the mistake everyone makes. They concentrate on speed rather than distance. Your goal should be increasing your distance running, steadily, over a period of (say) 12 weeks, ideally with an end target such as 10k or half marathon.

Mapping website: clicky click

Swimming is brilliant for fitness but I appreciate most people are not confident of long distance swimming. You should however participate in another form of fitness work such as 5s or gym work. As for motivation, try and get one of your mates to join you on the runs, it makes a massive difference. Also fill your mp3 with anything that motivates you, that means getting rid of Coldplay and the Abba tribute album ;) its the music that can get you through the final mile, or two.

Finally, get in the gym. Concentrate on squats, deadlifts and calf raises but make sure you give yourself two days minimum rest before runs. You'll feel stronger and it will improve your strides 'push'.

And the winter is a shocker of a time to start!! If you can keep it going through this weather you'll have no problems motivating yourself when the decent weather (whatever that is) comes.

Cant believe I missed this thread.

Tom, well done for deciding to improve your fitness and, in turn, your general health. Running is a great way of getting fit, we all know that, but people go about it completely the wrong way. Firstly, I would forget the pedometer. Instead get a decent pair of running shoes to prevent injury and fatigue. You can easily use the internet to map out suitable running distances, and at the moment your pace shouldn't be a concern. Thats the mistake everyone makes. They concentrate on speed rather than distance. Your goal should be increasing your distance running, steadily, over a period of (say) 12 weeks, ideally with an end target such as 10k or half marathon.

Mapping website: clicky click

Swimming is brilliant for fitness but I appreciate most people are not confident of long distance swimming. You should however participate in another form of fitness work such as 5s or gym work. As for motivation, try and get one of your mates to join you on the runs, it makes a massive difference. Also fill your mp3 with anything that motivates you, that means getting rid of Coldplay and the Abba tribute album ;) its the music that can get you through the final mile, or two.

Finally, get in the gym. Concentrate on squats, deadlifts and calf raises but make sure you give yourself two days minimum rest before runs. You'll feel stronger and it will improve your strides 'push'.

And the winter is a shocker of a time to start!! If you can keep it going through this weather you'll have no problems motivating yourself when the decent weather (whatever that is) comes.

Cheers.

Yeah, I'm hoping that not only I can (with time) increase the length that I'm able to run, but also improve how I feel during and after it.

I've been finding that for 11's my fitness is terrible and I'm often gasping for air ludicrously after about 30mins. I get a 'second wind' in the second half, but I'd like to be able to have a decent level of fitness to be sustainable throughout a 90mins.

I will be getting a new pair of proper running shoes soon (probs at Christmas) as the ones I run in at the moment, aren't proper running shoes.

Yeah, that's a good 'silver lining' to starting in the winter now that you mention it. If I'm able to continue with this 'fitness drive' and running in the winter, then I'll be in a routine that's normal to continue with when, as you say, the good weather comes about.

Marfan Syndrome.

I dont know much about it to be honest, although llike most sports you should always take on board medical advice. If it's 'impact' sports that would be a problem could you look at swimming as another method of getting fit?

Bit of topic I know but there are many people who can't run due to medical complaints/conditions but theres always alternatives.