P&b Running Club

As well as doing running/jogging in the gym I'm going to try and go out most nights for an outside run and need a device for measuring distance etc and wondering what one is the best to get, how much it costs and what measurements it takes.

I don't mind going for one of the more expensive or top of the range ones because it will probably get a lot of use over the next few years.

As well as doing running/jogging in the gym I'm going to try and go out most nights for an outside run and need a device for measuring distance etc and wondering what one is the best to get, how much it costs and what measurements it takes.

I don't mind going for one of the more expensive or top of the range ones because it will probably get a lot of use over the next few years.

Get a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch - will come in useful for your hillwalking too.

The best model at present is the 405 but most models should suit you.

Garmin Forerunner

Cheers.

I don't have an ipod nano so I take it Nike+ is out then. Does it have any features the Garmin watch doesn't?

Not really. The Nike+ thing is just a glorified pedometer - it measures the distance by how many times you put your foot down. You can then upload details of your runs to the Nike+ website and set yourself goals and compete in challenges against other users.

I believe though that you can do similar stuff with the Garmin thing.

Question.

I'm really shit at press ups and need to improve, quick. Thing is should I just keep banging out press ups combined with abit of and this is the bit im bothered about.. Should I be working on endurance (light weights, many reps) or should strength (heavy and few)? I really have no idea, I can't tell if I'm having bother with the weight which would indicate I'm not strong enough, or if it's the time I'm doing it for.

Confused.com, help much appreciated.

Try doing this programme. I just done it in the morning as well as whatever else I was doing ( I always go to the gym at night)

Not really. The Nike+ thing is just a glorified pedometer - it measures the distance by how many times you put your foot down. You can then upload details of your runs to the Nike+ website and set yourself goals and compete in challenges against other users.

I believe though that you can do similar stuff with the Garmin thing.

Think I'll definitely go with the Garmin then. Cheers.

Just used that walkjogrun site and a 'natural' loop around part of Stenhousemuir is almost exactly 2.5 miles so I'll give that a bash post Peep Show.

Edited by Fudge

Fucked.

Almost 4 months since my op and still unsure if its worked. Will give it another couple of months before I go back to see the surgeon. Have been doing a few 30 mins sessions on the bike in the gym but that is all. Still pain when I walk.

My running career is well and truly over. I'm slowly getting over the fact that I'll never run again......... :(

That's bad news.

Cycling should be OK for you though. Zero joint impact at least.

Bummer though.

Just been out for a 4.5km run. It was a lot harder running on the pavement than on a treadmill in the gym and so was out of breath after a wee bit and had to walk about 25% of it. Took circa 30 minutes but I'm not bothered about times at the moment, just concentrating on improving my stamina.

Has anyone had to replace their nike plus sensor yet? I am getting a message that mine is close to being no more and was wondering where the cheapest place to get one would be?

I had a look on ebay but nothing doing just now.

Has anyone had to replace their nike plus sensor yet? I am getting a message that mine is close to being no more and was wondering where the cheapest place to get one would be?

I've had to replace mine before. Couldn't find it any cheaper than £19 so just got one from Run 4 It the last time I was through there.

As Gaz said - £19.

Comet stock them as well, beside all their iPod stuff.

I'm still troubled by my calves. No pain when I'm walking, uncomfortable at the start of the run, but tend to loosen up after a couple of minutes and aren't much of a problem.

I have fitted running shoes and do stretch after every run. However, I only just starting out running properly a month ago, so am wondering if it's just a case of my calf muscles having to build up and getting used to what I'm doing. Perhaps my heart and lungs can do the distance okay, but physically I'm not quite up to it yet.

Having run about 70km in September, I haven't done anything in October yet. At the moment, I'm thinking I'll just stretch them every day and see how they're feeling this time next week.

Any thoughts from guys who have been running for awhile? Is it something that is to be expected when you're just beginning and will go away after 2 or 3 months?

I'm still troubled by my calves. No pain when I'm walking, uncomfortable at the start of the run, but tend to loosen up after a couple of minutes and aren't much of a problem.

I have fitted running shoes and do stretch after every run. However, I only just starting out running properly a month ago, so am wondering if it's just a case of my calf muscles having to build up and getting used to what I'm doing. Perhaps my heart and lungs can do the distance okay, but physically I'm not quite up to it yet.

Having run about 70km in September, I haven't done anything in October yet. At the moment, I'm thinking I'll just stretch them every day and see how they're feeling this time next week.

Any thoughts from guys who have been running for awhile? Is it something that is to be expected when you're just beginning and will go away after 2 or 3 months?

It sounds like it could be DOMS - delayed onset of muscle stiffness/soreness. It happened to me for the first few weeks after I started running. The pain should eventually disappear - if it's still there in a few weeks, then get it checked out.

It sounds like it could be DOMS - delayed onset of muscle stiffness/soreness. It happened to me for the first few weeks after I started running. The pain should eventually disappear - if it's still there in a few weeks, then get it checked out.

Hmmm cheers. Sounds like it could well be that. At first, I though it was a strain in one of my legs, but it's actual just a general kind of soreness in both of them.

Reading a couple of websites there, they seem to suggest just to continue doing the activity until the muscles adapt. Is that what you did? Did you take painkillers for a couple of weeks or just grin and bear it?

I did weights last week for the first time in years. I did a good 5-10 mins stretching before hand and the same after I'd finished, then went for a swim.

The next day my pecs/shoulder area felt a little heavy, but the day after were soooooooooooo tight and sore. I don't think I could have done any more warming up/down to try and combat this. Is it just a case of persevering til my muscles get used to it?

I did weights last week for the first time in years. I did a good 5-10 mins stretching before hand and the same after I'd finished, then went for a swim.

The next day my pecs/shoulder area felt a little heavy, but the day after were soooooooooooo tight and sore. I don't think I could have done any more warming up/down to try and combat this. Is it just a case of persevering til my muscles get used to it?

Pretty much, aye - DOMS are a killer to get used to.

Hmmm cheers. Sounds like it could well be that. At first, I though it was a strain in one of my legs, but it's actual just a general kind of soreness in both of them.

Reading a couple of websites there, they seem to suggest just to continue doing the activity until the muscles adapt. Is that what you did? Did you take painkillers for a couple of weeks or just grin and bear it?

I just battered through it to be honest. I don't like taking painkillers at the best of times.