P&b Running Club

I won't be doing anything so any specific muscle, just to give myself a good alround work out. I am not looking for killer abz, or whatever the headlines on those fitness mag's say.

You'll get the best workout you can get sticking to compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, military presses and bench presses.

Oh, and avoid machines like the plague.

What does that mean? I've just started doing weight as well, so would be greatful for any advice on what sort are best to do/avoid?

Isolation exercises are weights that only work one muscle at a time - for example, the aformentioned bicep curl. They're usually done by the types of folk you see with tiny legs and back but stupid looking arms. Most machine exercises are designed to only work one muscle as well.

Compound exercises are exercises performed with free weights that work loads of muscles at once, giving a far better all-over body workout that strengthens muscles equally if you're on a decent programme.

Squat

Deadlift (have a look here to see how many muscles you work in one exercise)

Military Press

In short, if you wanted to do an all-over body workout (the best type, as your body strengthens at the same time) with isolation exercises you'd have to spend shitloads of time at a gym doing hundreds of different exercises. Using compounds mean you only have to do four or five different exercises to strengthen just about every muscle in your body.

Edited by Gaz

How's your knee BTW?

Fucked.

Almost 4 months since my op and still unsure if its worked. Will give it another couple of months before I go back to see the surgeon. Have been doing a few 30 mins sessions on the bike in the gym but that is all. Still pain when I walk.

My running career is well and truly over. I'm slowly getting over the fact that I'll never run again......... :(

Any advice on calf strains?

I last ran on Tuesday night & felt a slight strain in my left calf afterwards. It's not really giving me any pain, but if feels a bit tight and I'm aware of it.

How long should I rest it before I'm out running again? Maybe a week?

Any advice on calf strains?

I last ran on Tuesday night & felt a slight strain in my left calf afterwards. It's not really giving me any pain, but if feels a bit tight and I'm aware of it.

How long should I rest it before I'm out running again? Maybe a week?

Until is doesn't feel tight anymore. You'll just end up tearing it.

Slowly getting back into the running, the local park has a track around it which is 3.5k long and marked out every 50m which is handy.

Managed 2 laps the other night in about 48 minutes and then last night 1 lap in 20 minutes, not the best times ever but it's still around 35-36 degrees so I'm happy with the times.

Question.

I'm really shit at press ups and need to improve, quick. Thing is should I just keep banging out press ups combined with abit of and this is the bit im bothered about.. Should I be working on endurance (light weights, many reps) or should strength (heavy and few)? I really have no idea, I can't tell if I'm having bother with the weight which would indicate I'm not strong enough, or if it's the time I'm doing it for.

Confused.com, help much appreciated.

Question.

I'm really shit at press ups and need to improve, quick. Thing is should I just keep banging out press ups combined with abit of and this is the bit im bothered about.. Should I be working on endurance (light weights, many reps) or should strength (heavy and few)? I really have no idea, I can't tell if I'm having bother with the weight which would indicate I'm not strong enough, or if it's the time I'm doing it for.

What are you trying to achieve?

I've just entered the Scone Palace 10k race. Its two weeks on Sunday. My first ever race so I'll need to step up the training to ensure I don't finish dead last!

I did a 5.5k run last night, so will try to add a kilometre every couple of days until I get to the distance...

Did 5K in 28 minutes last night.

I know this might seem rubbish to the experienced, but for a novice like me I'm dead chuffed! Couldn't run for 2 minutes at the start of the year, now gradually running more and quicker, thanks to Jog Scotland! :D

Question.

I got a chin up bar. My upper body strength used to be rubbish. But you just have to build up your strength. I used to fail after maybe two or three chin ups. But now I can crank out set of ten or twelve reps and all the rest of it. It just takes a time to get there. You have tos tick at it.

Press ups are exactly the same. You cant expect miracles. Just do what you can until you fail and then try and extra one the next time.

What are you trying to achieve?

50+ in 2 minutes.

I got a chin up bar. My upper body strength used to be rubbish. But you just have to build up your strength. I used to fail after maybe two or three chin ups. But now I can crank out set of ten or twelve reps and all the rest of it. It just takes a time to get there. You have tos tick at it.

Press ups are exactly the same. You cant expect miracles. Just do what you can until you fail and then try and extra one the next time.

Sounds good, I'll give that a bash. Cheers