P&b Running Club

Out of interest....

Do any of the guys who are regular runners eat extra calories on days that they run? For example, add an extra 600 calories spread across the day if you know that you're going to be running an hour at night.

or is not something you really think about?

I didn't at first because one of my original goals when I took up running last year was to lose some fat.

These days, I do.

Use the Harris-Benedict formula to work out how many calories you should eat if you're looking to maintain the same weight you are.

Great North Run today :D

What a fantastic day. I've had a ball! Never ran a mass-participation half-marathon before.

My time was off. Came down with the cold at the end of last week and still not feeling 100% - knew I would be struggling to run as fast as I wanted to (was aiming for under 1:40). Managed to sustain a 1:40 pace for the first six kilometres but knew I couldn't sustain it - so rather than bust a gut I just decided to slacken off and enjoy the occassion.

Clocked in at just under 1:57, so I'm still under two hours, and I know what time I can set to beat next year.

Legs are utterly fucked, was doing fine but there's a steady climb over a mile and a half near the end at the Nook area of South Shields that just wiped me out. Quite a few people struggling - saw loads of folk unconscious and receiving oxygen, presumably due to the heat, some only a couple of hundred metres from the finish line.

I overtook Cheryl Baker. I would :D

Edited by Gaz

Started running reguarly again in the Summer again, and would agree with the guys on here that Interval Running is great for building up fitness and especially for Football.

If you are looking to lose weight, any type of running will be good for you. What I started off doing was, run for 2 songs, stop for half of the 3rd track, and slow jog for the rest of the track, before running again for 2 tracks.

I took it up originally to keep my weight loss off, if you eat a good balanced diet, You can still have the odd treat and things, and do a bit of fitness, you should stay the same weight.

I got given the all clear to start exercising again on Wed, so am looking to start running again. I have no idea how I'm going to find the time though, although I've just discovered the gym I used to go to has a creche... :D Was managing 5 miles in 38mins before the pregnancy, so it will be interesting to see how much of my fitness I've lost in the last 10 months (I was still swimming 2-3 times a week up until I gave birth in an attempt to stay semi-fit, but I never really felt like I was pushing myself). Any tips for getting back into it guys?

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to try and 'take up' running and need some advice.

My general fitness is pretty reasonable as I go hillwalking on average once a week and do approx 80 lengths of a 25m pool every day, but I'm really bad at running and get knackered after 30 seconds.

I think I'm going to start off with the old sprint for x amount of time, jog for x amount of time for the first couple of weeks to get a better burst of pace and stamina for 5's before I move onto more prolonged jogging. Is this sensible.

Could anyone suggest a sort of vague routine or how many miles I should be attempting in the first few weeks etc? Also, what's the script with those Nike + things, are they a must have?

I realise because of my build I'm probably never going to be be able to clock particularly fast times even after a good bit of training, but I quite like the idea of pounding the streets myself when it's dark.

My general fitness is pretty reasonable as I go hillwalking on average once a week and do approx 80 lengths of a 25m pool every day, but I'm really bad at running and get knackered after 30 seconds.

I think I'm going to start off with the old sprint for x amount of time, jog for x amount of time for the first couple of weeks to get a better burst of pace and stamina for 5's before I move onto more prolonged jogging. Is this sensible.

Could anyone suggest a sort of vague routine or how many miles I should be attempting in the first few weeks etc? Also, what's the script with those Nike + things, are they a must have?

I realise because of my build I'm probably never going to be be able to clock particularly fast times even after a good bit of training, but I quite like the idea of pounding the streets myself when it's dark.

Don't push it too much early on. I'm getting over an ankle injury because I hammered it too early on a few months ago. Your body will tell you when you've had enough.

Nike+ isn't essential but it's a great motivational tool.

www.jogscotland.org.uk has some good advice on prep for 5K and 10K runs for beginners. Or try and find a group near you. I run with the Grangmeouth Stadium lot on a thursday night and there is mixed levels in different groups.

www.jogscotland.org.uk has some good advice on prep for 5K and 10K runs for beginners. Or try and find a group near you. I run with the Grangmeouth Stadium lot on a thursday night and there is mixed levels in different groups.

Cheers Chick, looks a good site.

What are your aims? To run 10k races? Marathons or to just keep fit?

You sound like you are pretty fit already though. If you are jsut wanting to look a bit emaciated then run for miles all the time. It will fook your joints though eventually.

What are your aims? To run 10k races? Marathons or to just keep fit?

You sound like you are pretty fit already though. If you are jsut wanting to look a bit emaciated then run for miles all the time. It will fook your joints though eventually.

My main aims are 1) to get fitter so I can comfortably play 90mins of football 2) get to the level where I can do 10k on the road in 50-55 mins and still feel decent after it 3) lose the remaining excess fat (probably around 1/2 stone)

Long days hillwalking have turned my idea of fun into something fairly sadistic, so maybe when I achieve those goals I may set my sights on half marathons or more, but literally one step at a time for now.

Not so much a running but more a fitness question here.

I've done a lot of running and I am generally quite fit. I'm getting bored of just going out running and the weights so I've decided to give swimming a bash. How long/far should I be swimming? The only info I can give you is that I ran my Army 1.5 mile run in 9m 18s.

Not so much a running but more a fitness question here.

I've done a lot of running and I am generally quite fit. I'm getting bored of just going out running and the weights so I've decided to give swimming a bash. How long/far should I be swimming? The only info I can give you is that I ran my Army 1.5 mile run in 9m 18s.

I'd suggest doing 90 minutes swimming, which equates to between 80-90 lengths of a 25m pool if you're doing breast stroke. You could probably swim for double that quite easily but I start to get a bit bored and hungry after that length of time.

I'd suggest doing 90 minutes swimming, which equates to between 80-90 lengths of a 25m pool if you're doing breast stroke. You could probably swim for double that quite easily but I start to get a bit bored and hungry after that length of time.

Should I do it full blown 90 minutes? Or is it good to for example do 3 sets of 30 minutes?

Should I do it full blown 90 minutes? Or is it good to for example do 3 sets of 30 minutes?

Just 90 mins in the one go, you'll be surprised just how easy it is. I was at the pool earlier on today and feel absolutely fine to go back to the gym to do some running later on.

EDIT - take a bottle of water with you and leave it by the side of the pool. I have about a 30-60 second break roughly every 10 lengths and a few gulps of water.

Edited by Fudge

Wish I had the motivation to swim for that long. I go a couple of times a week but get bored after about ten lengths. Irritating as I want to do a triathlon next year but can't be bothered training for the swimming part.

Just 90 mins in the one go, you'll be surprised just how easy it is. I was at the pool earlier on today and feel absolutely fine to go back to the gym to do some running later on.

EDIT - take a bottle of water with you and leave it by the side of the pool. I have about a 30-60 second break roughly every 10 lengths and a few gulps of water.

Nice one, cheers. How much is a swim in your standard council pool btw?

I'm off to the gym in an hour or so, though my legs are still a little heavy from 5's last night and I had a swim this morning, so I'm not expecting miracles.

Think I'll go for 5 mins jogging/quick walk, then a minute jogging quickly, then 5 mins jogging/quick walk for an hour. Not toon sure I could manage much more at the moment and I don't want to dishearten myself by legging it for 5 minutes and being shattered.

Ended up doing 1 min fast jogs followed by 4 mins slower jogging for 3 repeats (15 mins), then straight on to 15mins jogging constantly at between 10-12 kph, stopped and did weights for a bit then another 15 min session of jogging at 10-12kph.

I didn't have a distance goal, I was only doing what I felt I could but ended up doing 8.3km in 45mins. It's obviously not great but it's a good starting point. I'm quite pleased with myself that I managed 15 min blocks with no break. A wee while ago I'd have been done after 2 or 3 minutes.

Joined the gym this week after pounding roads on the bike and running this summer (getting a bit dark to go out after work on the bike). Its got a 25m pool so I am going for a few lengths after work, in my hayday between 11 and 15 I wouldn't have thought twice about swimming 100ish lengths or a 33m pool (differnet strokes/drills) in an hour and a half. We shall see how it goes, I am hoping my technique is still good.

Got to get my induction tomorrow to actually use the gym, hope the wee chap can show me some exercises.

Be very wary of gym employees. I once had a guy tell me to stop doing a barbell squat as I should be sticking to bicep curls :huh: needless to say he was quickly told where to do. A mate of mine was told to leave once as he was using chalk - they thought it was drugs (aye, because you spread cocaine all over your hands). Thankfully the staff at the gym I'm at the now just leave folk to it.

I did all my own research as most gym employees are useless.

For weights, avoid shitty isolation exercises and stick to the big compounds. Best advice I was ever given.